LED towing lights

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
I've recently purchased a 10 month old Swift Sprite Alpine 4 Caravan, towing it with a Peugeot 308SW GT Line 2017 that has had a brand new tow bar and electrics fitted at a cost of £1000. I've had issues with the indicators on the van from Day 1, it has had a VLM4-A3 fitted with no change, a VLM6 fitted with no change. The car has been to the garage 3 times for a harness check/ECU software check etc, every time it comes back with no Fault found, even checked by an electronics auto company , No fault found. However when I connect to the van the indicators are still intermittent or just don't work at all. Today I've taken the van for its 1st service at a Swift garage, there was a nice chap there (Mr Fletcher who was dropping his Swift off for a service) who after I explained my situation offered to connect his VW Toureg With Led lights to my caravan, we function checked all lights and all indications were normal. So the van is serviceable and so is the car but regardless of exchanging VLM after VLM the indicator lights are still intermittent. So obviously the car is at fault but regardless of Sargent's input or Peugeots thorough investigation the car and van do not talk to each other.
Can you bypass the VLM (6 currently fitted) ? or are there any suggestions other than change the car. Leaving me £1000 for the tow bar out of pocket.
We've had to cancel holidays as the caravan lights are unreliable and its been stuck on our drive whilst we are trying to remedy this fault.
Any ideas thoughts would be much appreciated.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would start by giving Sargent tech support a ring and see if they have any ideas. They make the VLM for Swift so if anyone can give you a clue, they can.

Call them on 01482 678981

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply,
So after speaking to the Sargent Tech support they advised I fit a VLM4-A3, which they dispatched and the results after fitting did not cure the fault. So I contacted them again and they advised I purchase a VLM6 from them which I did, (there was one already fitted in the caravan) so I swapped the VLM's but still no joy, so refitted the original VLM6 and returned the new one back to Sargent.
Sargent and Peugeot are not working together in resolving the issue (compatibility), If I purchase another car my concern would be having the same issue again,? I even e-mailed Sargent asking for advice on which cars they have issues with so I can shop in the correct area, however still no response.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont know if this will or wont work for you, but I did hear of somebody fitting a normal 12v bulb, like a tail light bulb somewhere in the circuit. The theory was that when the car realised a bulb was there it supplied juice properly. I think its because your canbus isnt recognizing the leds. Cant hurt.

To test the theory you only need a bulb and bulb holder and some croc clips, wire to pos and earth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts