Legacy-Forester as Towcars

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

the new diesel Legacy and Forester are due out im March and the engine is 2.0 witha power output betwen 150-170bhp and combined mpg of 49mpg. No details yet of kerbweights. On paper they could be attractive tow cars. I would be interested to hear of anyone's experience on towing with existing Legacy and Foresters particularly van weight and stabilty etc.

Cheers

Other Clive

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have just bought a 2.5 automatic Outback (Legacy estate with more ground clearance) but haven't yet been away with it. Kerbweight is 1520kg which is light for the size of car, but suits my needs - all-wheel drive, self-levelling suspension, towing 1220kg.

The existing Forester, which won't get the diesel, is lighter than the Legacy/Outback as it's based on the Impreza chassis.

The new Forester, which will get the diesel, is based on the Legacy chassis so will be heavier than the old.

Within their lighter kerbweight, all Subarus make excellent towcars. Petrol consumption is their weakness but they're a lot more fun to drive, ON-ROAD, than any other 4x4.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I loved our old Impreza, cracking car but a bit too light for towing.

Subaru are now offering LPG conversions on 2.0 & 2.5 petrol engines. I would go down that route instead of waiting for the new diesel. This is their first attempt at a diesel & there may be teething problems. A legacy 3.0 on LPG would be my ideal car :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Subaru are now offering LPG conversions on 2.0 & 2.5 petrol engines. I would go down that route instead of waiting for the new diesel. This is their first attempt at a diesel & there may be teething problems. A legacy 3.0 on LPG would be my ideal car :)
Teething problems on a Subaru?

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site

Thanks but does'nt LPG sometimes limit ferry tunnel options for continental use.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
This new diesel has had glowing reports,quietest on the market and lots of go,its still a boxer engine and its own design ,it has cost them a fortune in development only 151 emissions too

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies. Autexpress has atest review in the edition out 23 Jan. My daughter had a Leagcy saloon and it was a really good car and very reliable, but all the same I would wish to see the new diesel with some time under its belt before committing to one. I supect Subaru had development work supported by one of the design consultancies such as Ricardo.

Other Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts