Leisure Batery

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to caravaning and I am having great fun getting used to all the ins and outs. Forgive me if this is a basic question but what is it all about with leisure batteries.

Apart from providing lighting and a single 12v output is there anything else I can attach?

I am not too bothered about TVs etc but I would like to be able to hook up cd, radio etc and possibly laptop (I know very sad.... but the reason I can justify getting away most weekends is because I can do some work !!!)

We have just bought a 1999 Luner Lexon - October - and have already stayed in it at least for a dozen weekends, it is amazing how warm you can get on a winter evening with the heating on, but we would now like to try a few CLs without hook up and I just want to know what I can expect from a battery.

Next week we are actualy towing the caravan for the first time to a CL, this time with Elec. But first experience of towing, fingers crossed.

Cheers

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can use just about anything (within reason) running on 12v in your van John. You will of course need the correct adapter/plug/socket for the equipment you are using, but there shouldn't be a problem sourcing those. As you are new, you may not be aware that your 12 volt system is kept charged by your 240 volt hook-up. This means, using TV's or laptops won't drain your battery, but if you are away, on a CL where no hook-up is available, you will need to ration battery usage as it's this that supplies your water pump with power too.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Over the years I've had some fun with leisure batteries, on our present van the battery seemed good with normal dealer type battery tester.

An "IBT" (intelligent battery tester) told another story, so I replaced it with a higher amp hour job to give maximum performance.

I use a basic solar panel that keeps the battery topped up and healthy FOC through the times it is parked at home.

If you plan on stopping on sites without using an electric hook up, a bigger solar panel may be a wise purchase as over a weekend you could have a problem using laptop, radio, lights and the sink and toilet pumps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

Just to add the the coments given, If you are on site without hookups you will need to have a backup ie: solar panel of at least 30amps output, or a small Gennie, The battery needs to be at least 110amp, I have a radio cd player and TV, and never use sites with lecky, independant.

On the Towing side would recommend the C,&C club course they are very good, money well spent.

Hope this helps

Jim M

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. If I understand it correctly the situation is as follows:

Basic equipment OK for genral use.

Laptop might cause a bit of a drain.

lol you mention adaptors, is this to allow equipment to run from my 12v socket in the van or is there any way I can plug into the standard 3 pin sockets (with adaptors).

No too bothered about water pump as if necessary we will use bottles of water rather than the taps. Toilet is of course an issue, need to keep an eye on that.

As I said not too bothered about telly and I suppose radio, cd etc can run from ordinary batteries.

I think I need to stop asking all these questions and just go and do it !!!!!!

Thanks for the advice

Kind Regards

John

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. If I understand it correctly the situation is as follows:

Basic equipment OK for genral use.

Laptop might cause a bit of a drain.

lol you mention adaptors, is this to allow equipment to run from my 12v socket in the van or is there any way I can plug into the standard 3 pin sockets (with adaptors).

No too bothered about water pump as if necessary we will use bottles of water rather than the taps. Toilet is of course an issue, need to keep an eye on that.

As I said not too bothered about telly and I suppose radio, cd etc can run from ordinary batteries.

I think I need to stop asking all these questions and just go and do it !!!!!!

Thanks for the advice

Kind Regards

John
John a faily reasonable priced solar panel from Maplins might be worth looking at!

May 20, 2005
Visit site
John

Just to add the the coments given, If you are on site without hookups you will need to have a backup ie: solar panel of at least 30amps output, or a small Gennie, The battery needs to be at least 110amp, I have a radio cd player and TV, and never use sites with lecky, independant.

On the Towing side would recommend the C,&C club course they are very good, money well spent.

Hope this helps

Jim M
"solar panel of at least 30amps output" Thats one hell of a solar panell, I think you meant 30 watts out put ?

May 20, 2005
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts