Leisure battery fully charged but no lights?

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Good morning,

I'm new to this forum, so bare with 😁
Caravan is a Garland 165-5

Bought a old caravan, possibly early to mid 90s, any the lights all worked on the new battery, now they don't.
The control panel in the caravan show good for the battery, and I've changed the fuse.
I've used a volt thing to check if there's a current coming through the lights and there isn't.

I've looked at the trip switches and all good there too.

Anyone know what I can look at as they did all work but now they don't. I feel like it's gonna be something simple 🀷

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Ok so if you are new to the caravan is there a master switch for lights on the panel by the door? Worth replacing the relevant fuse even if visually it seems good. Do other 12v like the pump work? If not there is usually a 20a fuse in the positive between the battery and the distribution panel - may be in the battery locker or more likely in the bed locker behind the distribution panel. Fingers crossed it’s something straightforward to correct!

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
So the pump works so we know the battery is fine, the lights on the panel are on but nothing with the lights is now working.

Ok so if you are new to the caravan is there a master switch for lights on the panel by the door? Worth replacing the relevant fuse even if visually it seems good. Do other 12v like the pump work? If not there is usually a 20a fuse in the positive between the battery and the distribution panel - may be in the battery locker or more likely in the bed locker behind the distribution panel. Fingers crossed it’s something straightforward to correct!

Attachments

• PXL_20230426_090203785.jpg
    PXL_20230426_090203785.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20230426_090133693.jpg
    PXL_20230426_090133693.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jensen, and welcome to the forum,

The symptoms you describe where all the lights dont' work are most often caused by switch or isolator not correctly set, or a blown fuse.

In older caravans it might be corrosion in a connector but the fact that all the lights have stopped it seems more likely to be a fuse of you have simply missed the switch/ isolator for the circuit.

If a fuse has blown, then there is usually a reason for it and that needs to found and sorted, but its not unknown for fuses just to wear out with age. Alway replace a fuse with one of the correct rating.

If your convinced the fuses and switches are OK, then you need to start to trace the circuit through with a multimeter to try to find where the power is being lost.

If your not confident with using a multimeter, then you need to get a competent electical engineer to help. Check out the Approved Workshop Scheme listings to find one local to yourself

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Jensen,

In the first set of photographs there was a switch marked Van/Car and it seemed to be set for the 12 volt feed to be coming from the car and not the van leisure battery.

Does it need the switch to be in the other (top) position?

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firklr is correct. to use the caravan battery the switch should be set to caravan.

Is the red switch on the picture to do with the electric connection?

I suspect the device in your photograph is the caravans on board battery charger. The red switch is the mains power switch for it, so unless the battery is discharged ( which according to the meter on one of your other pictures its nornmal and the fact your pump works) this red switch should make no difference to the 12V lights. It should be switched on to charge your caravan battery when your using a mains hook up.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Jensen,

In the first set of photographs there was a switch marked Van/Car and it seemed to be set for the 12 volt feed to be coming from the car and not the van leisure battery.

Does it need the switch to be in the other (top) position?

Makes no difference unfortunately

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Bit of a puzzle when the label suggests down for car power /off/ up for caravan battery power, yet apparently when disconnected from the car the green led is lit. The car setting will usually be for the fridge cooling while towing (the output protected by a relay on the car to prevent flattening the car battery). With the 12v and aerial socket which appears a diy addition and the carver control I wonder where the panel is situated - if the rear is accessible is it possible that a disconnection has occurred - in any event it would be worth testing whether this rocker switch is operating as described.

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
Some caravan lights like wall lights only work on 240 electric
Spotlights and bedside lights usually work on battery centre lights as well
Your fan on ceiling should be 12v so if that's working more than likely fuse or need knew bulbs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts