Leisure battery wiring

Im currently converting a houseboat and the hull has a stripped out static caravan inside, I have bought a leisure battery and charger and need some help with the wiring, i know how to charge the battery my problems lie in not knowing how to set up the battery to the appliances i.e. can i use 3pin sockets? do i need a fuse box? if so how do i connect the battery/sockets to the fusebox, im a real novice and all i want to do is watch a telly in the evening without running my generator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as google seems clogged up with VW camper wiring info.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Christopher,

I am fairly sure that there are special arrangements for electrical wiring in boats. You need to check with a marine electrician rather than simply apply caravan practices.

the main reason is that boat hulls by their very nature don't have low level ventilation. this means any spillage of petrol or LPG vapour, both of which are heavier than air, will tend to collect in the hull. any electrical wiring (mains or 12V) must be installed to prevent sparks or discharges which could ignite any vapour with devastating results.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
As John L says there are speial arrangments for boats, the battery is usually kept in a sealed box preferably in the cockpit the box has its own vent. the newer boats have auto bilge pumps which when you start the engine automatically it vents the bilges prior to firing up, gas and petrol fumes were the main causes of eplosion in vessels years ago, not so much now with diesel engines. Older boats had a manual system where you threw a switch for a minute or so to vent the bilges. I would invest in a gas monitor as a back up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Derek,

You are absolutely right, However in Christoper's case we don't know if he has an engine or not, in which case there may not be an auto bilge purge, and my suspicions are raised when he describes the superstructure as having a stripped out static caravan in side.

I may be wrong but this sounds like an amateur conversion, and it may not comply with the marine construction Regulations even for inland waterways.

Chris,

please forgive me if I have jumped to the wrong conclusions, In the fields of work I have experience I have seen some dreadful amateur messes, but I have also seen some wonderful jobs that would put a so called professional to shame. In the latter cases, the person has done a lot of homework and got it right, but in the former it been done on a casual basis, and they have been condemned.

I do know that the marine construction regs are quite specific though they are not in my scope of experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts