Lenovo ThinkPad T440p Laptop

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In last few days it been behaving odd when i switch on it keeps going on and off the battery pack showing full charge so i been thinking it the charger i have ordered a new one to come if that does not cure it might look in for (new one) .
Do you think it might be better to have it check out what your views i would very much appreciate it

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Possible that the hard drive is full of clutter? Try running Disk cleanup to remove unnecessary files and to free up some space. Also run the defragmenter to clean up the disk. Both tools are under Windows app.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Possible that the hard drive is full of clutter? Try running Disk cleanup to remove unnecessary files and to free up some space. Also run the defragmenter to clean up the disk. Both tools are under Windows app.
Hi Ian Thanks for the information (y)

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Clear the cache, then switch off THEN remove the battery for 30 seconds.

Apparently there are allsorts of things that remain the computer even when switched off. Removing the battery clears them out as well.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
MOST IMPORTANT: this machine has a solid state hard drive (SSD) which must NEVER be defragmented as it will physically damage the memory. Windows is quite capable of looking after it itself. By all means use something like Glary Utilities or CCleaner (both free) to tidy out those unused or remnant files but again do not invoke (i.e. untick it) registry cleaning either as that too may damage the SSD (overheating is the main culprit of such damage.)

Otherwise get it checked over as Lenovo (formerly known as IBM Thinkpads) are pretty well made and reliable machines. I think Andy in #4 above probably has the best suggestion.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to sources on the Internet b, It should not harm the SSD if you defragment the SSD and should not cause issues. A lot depends on how old the Lenovo is as earlier ones probably have a normal hard drive.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
MOST IMPORTANT: this machine has a solid state hard drive (SSD) which must NEVER be defragmented as it will physically damage the memory. Windows is quite capable of looking after it itself. By all means use something like Glary Utilities or CCleaner (both free) to tidy out those unused or remnant files but again do not invoke (i.e. untick it) registry cleaning either as that too may damage the SSD (overheating is the main culprit of such damage.)

Otherwise get it checked over as Lenovo (formerly known as IBM Thinkpads) are pretty well made and reliable machines. I think Andy in #4 above probably has the best suggestion.
Hi Woodentop very interesting info :)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have to disagree with the statement that Defragging and SSD will cause physical damage. Defragging is no different from any other multiple reads and writes to the disk. Defragging in the sense that applied to Hard Disk Drives is no longer necessary for SSDs. They do however need some maintenance and thats through a technique call Trim and Active Garbage Collection. This is very similar to defragging but has the added benefit of wear leveling - making sure you don't always use the same bits of the SSD.

Operating systems since Win7 do this in the background so no user intervention is required.

In respect of the original question and assuming the operating system is Windows 10 then a trouble shooter can be entered at time of booting up the machine from power on. This usually acheived by repeatedly pressing one of the function keys during this period - it may be f8 or another key. Might be worth a try but can vary from machine to machine.

I've had a couple of laptops that would be reluctant to start if the battery was suspect. Taking the battery out and just using the power adapter would allow them to function.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree with the statement that Defragging and SSD will cause physical damage. Defragging is no different from any other multiple reads and writes to the disk. Defragging in the sense that applied to Hard Disk Drives is no longer necessary for SSDs. They do however need some maintenance and thats through a technique call Trim and Active Garbage Collection. This is very similar to defragging but has the added benefit of wear leveling - making sure you don't always use the same bits of the SSD.

Operating systems since Win7 do this in the background so no user intervention is required.

In respect of the original question and assuming the operating system is Windows 10 then a trouble shooter can be entered at time of booting up the machine from power on. This usually acheived by repeatedly pressing one of the function keys during this period - it may be f8 or another key. Might be worth a try but can vary from machine to machine.

I've had a couple of laptops that would be reluctant to start if the battery was suspect. Taking the battery out and just using the power adapter would allow them to function.
Hi Sam thanks for the information (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just done a disc cleanup and that cleared a lot of files and it improve it a little bit . might try the other suggestion cache, switch it off and remove the battery

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i did the suggestions i was given and yesterday a new battery charger came and so far the laptop seems to be okay

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

On the laptop it saying no battery detected so it now working on a power adapter only.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Most batteries for Lenovo have a membrane test button on the bottom of the battery which lights up to five blue LEDs to show the battery state. That will indicate whether the battery is duff or there is an issue within the machine if the battery is not charging.
Also look carefully - Thinkpads were notorious for the yellow power inlet socket coming loose or falling off its bracket completely. Inserting the power plug in such circumstances might result in a poor or no connection. Reattaching the connector is quite easy once the case bottom is removed.
The alternative is to find the specific desktop docking station for your machine on which the laptop stands and makes connection through the long connector in the middle of the base. The attachment then gives you extra USB sockets, things such as VGA/DVI/HDMI and sometimes parallel connectors, P/S2 mouse and keyboard connections, ethernet, and - above all - another power inlet.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Most batteries for Lenovo have a membrane test button on the bottom of the battery which lights up to five blue LEDs to show the battery state. That will indicate whether the battery is duff or there is an issue within the machine if the battery is not charging.
Also look carefully - Thinkpads were notorious for the yellow power inlet socket coming loose or falling off its bracket completely. Inserting the power plug in such circumstances might result in a poor or no connection. Reattaching the connector is quite easy once the case bottom is removed.
The alternative is to find the specific desktop docking station for your machine on which the laptop stands and makes connection through the long connector in the middle of the base. The attachment then gives you extra USB sockets, things such as VGA/DVI/HDMI and sometimes parallel connectors, P/S2 mouse and keyboard connections, ethernet, and - above all - another power inlet.
Hi Woodentop thanks for your input (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
But if you have only recently had a new one fitted and it’s still showing a fault message, it seems to me that the fault is not in the battery. I would seek expert help.
Hi clive at the weekend the laptop went off completely look up a computer doctor drop it off he check it inside the mother board and said everything fine ,but the new charger and battery were at fault he gave me a new charger he said the battery pack you will need a new one so this time i brought the one down below just hoping it will fix it

Attachments

• s-l140.jpg
    s-l140.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 6
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi clive at the weekend the laptop went off completely look up a computer doctor drop it off he check it inside the mother board and said everything fine ,but the new charger and battery were at fault he gave me a new charger he said the battery pack you will need a new one so this time i brought the one down below just hoping it will fix it
Hope it sorts the problem out for you. Interested in the outcome.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Given the history, I think it more likely points to a problem with the laptop rather than it's battery.
Hi Prof if the new battery repairs it going to only be use as a standby thinking of upgrading for a newer laptop in a couple of months but i would like one with a hard disk drive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts