Les Hautes Coutures Normandy

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi There!

We are planning to take our holiday in France this summer and liked the look of this site in Normandy it is within easy reach of the WW2 beaches and only 2 miles from the ferry. However I have been looking at reviews on this site and have read some horror stories about the toilet facilities and wondered if anyone who had been to this site could let me know what the site is like not just the toilet blocks but overall.

Many Thanks!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We have used it only for night halts and for that it was satisfactory, albeit expensive. There is a pleasnat canal side walk into Ouistreham but other than that, there is little to commend this as a place to spend your holiday.

Phil

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Francis,

We've stayed at Les Hautes Coutures several times, probably about 4 or 5 but only as an overnight stop either arriving off the late ferry or prior to early ferry the next day.

Anytime we were there the toilets, although a little basic, were clean and well kept. There is a mixture of statics and tourers on site, a lot of the pitches are on the small side and access to some could be a bit tight for larger outfits. A lot of the electric hook ups were reverse polarity, so be prepared for that. There was a pedestrian access, protected by combination type lock, to the walkaway beside the canal which takes you down to the Pegasus Bridge, about a ten minute walk, Slightly longer than that going the roadway. Easy access to and from the main road, but at the same time I never heard a lot of traffic noise. It's about ten minutes drive at the most from the ferry terminal at Ouistreham.

Personally I can't say I would like to stay there for more than a couple of days but everybody is different

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Years ago we stayed at Les Hautes Coutures, before our departure from the port at Caen. It was OK for an overnight stop, but wasn't somewhere I'd want to go back to, or stay for any longer. Admittedly it has developed a stunning pool - and perhaps other facilities have been improved too.

As an alternative, what about Le Cormoran *(www.lecormoran.com) which is going out onto the Cotentin peninsula, but near the American landing beaches at St Mere Eglise. It has direct beach access, an outdoor pool with cover - although not stunning like Les Hautes Coutures, and lots of activities for children. It's no more expensive than Les Hautes Coutures, in fact the child supplements are less. It has some good reviews here (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6553)

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
If you are going to "holiday" in Normandy rather than a stop over before and after ferry then I would agree with Val A. Le Cormoran is one of our favourite sites. There are large delineated pitches and the whole site is level. The owners invest yearly into this site - each time we return there are improvements including new toilet blocks. Last year they added a cover to one of the pools which is great in the cooler weather. The site is right on Utah Beach and you would have great days out travelling up and down the coast visiting all beaches etc from Ouistreham to cherbourg with the many places to see including museums. There is also Cheateau Martragny,not far from Bayeaux, one of Les Castels sites, but although it has good sized pitches I think the pool area is a bit sub standard and toilet blocks were never clean.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Francis,

We stopped overnight at Les Hautes Coutures last year on our return route from the Vendee. As an overnight stop for the ferry it's ideal. I think for a couple of nights it would be fine. Any longer though I'm sure there are better places. It's ideally located for Pegasus bridges. The mosquitoes were the worst I'd ever experienced in France. The toilets appeared fine.

The place that Val A recommended looks good.

Best of luck with your choice,

Mathew

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
We stayed here for a week last October half term. We found the site fine , although admittedly there were very few tourers on site. Agree some pitches could be small but we chose one on the main drive in and had no problem with Ranger 620 and Discovery.

There was what appeared to be a new wash block as you went in - very impressive , including washing up sinks under cover.

We found it convenient for Caen, the Normandy beaches and the local attractions. One suggestion - if possible take bikes. We didn't and ended up driving to many palces we could have cycled to.

The other advantage is that the owners will leave you a note welcoming you if you arrive on the late ferry.

We also enjoyed the green gym play area, plus the swimming pool.

Overaal, we enjoyed the site, although I have heard of another somewhere on the other side of the Pegasus Bridge which I would investigate if returning to the area.

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Many thanks for the replies just letting you all know that the information was greatly appreciated and I booked my holiday today 2 weeks on Le Camping Cormoran this site looked brilliant so hopefully we will have a great time thanks to for the reccomedation.

!

TRENDING THREADS