Lessons not learnt

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Is there one or more things that you always forget when setting up or taking down your caravan?

1. I've been at this for quite a number of years in both caravans and motorhomes but the one thing that I frequently fail to remember is the sequence when connecting up the water supply.

In the caravan I travel with the hot water tank empty and the taps all open. On site I close the valve on the hot water tank then with the kitchen sink tap open - and over the sink - switch the pump on to get a constant flow of water. Then close the tap and go to the bathroom only to get a wet head because I forgot to turn the shower tap off.

2. On site I don't have a problem with the wheel lock. It goes on when we arrive and taken off when we leave. At home it goes on but occassionaly I need to push the van back to make some clearance in front. It moves a couple of feet then stops and I wonder why - usually its enough though. Sometime later I'll realise its the wheel lock stopping me from pushing it further.

What's called 'senior moments' I suppose

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My forgetful momements usually concern something small but critical. Last trip, I forgot that I had been using my lump hammer at home and left it in the wrokshop. This on a site where it needs a pile driver to get rock pegs. The kindly old gent on the next pitch offered to lend me his hammer, which was so lightweight it was totally ineffective. I have also forgotten the peg bag before, and had to buy a full set of rock pegs on site, now I have hundres of them.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Couple of months back, arrived at site in Gloucestershire, meeting friends, reversed onto pitch (previously having seen me rely on the mover- they were watching.) Feeling smug, (for a very short time,) after unhitching I drove forward and heard a 'clunk'.... Yup hadn't taken off the breakaway cable!

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My forgetful momements usually concern something small but critical. Last trip, I forgot that I had been using my lump hammer at home and left it in the wrokshop. This on a site where it needs a pile driver to get rock pegs. The kindly old gent on the next pitch offered to lend me his hammer, which was so lightweight it was totally ineffective. I have also forgotten the peg bag before, and had to buy a full set of rock pegs on site, now I have hundres of them.
Must have been a CAMC hard standing? LOL! :D Believe it or not I now carry a masonry drill bit in the car for these hard standing as got tired of bending good quality rock pegs or the screw pegs not going in. We also carry 4 of these galvanised rock pegs in the back of the car.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Must have been a CAMC hard standing? LOL! :D Believe it or not I now carry a masonry drill bit in the car for these hard standing as got tired of bending good quality rock pegs or the screw pegs not going in. We also carry 4 of these galvanised rock pegs in the back of the car.
Now that is real Hardcore. If they were needed i would forget the awning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts