May 7, 2012
Visit site
I assume this is facing downhill or uphill or up. First I would chock the wheels to prevent it rolling forward or back and apply the brake before unhitching.
If the slope is steep you might need blocks under the legs to level the caravan, but other than that it is the same as normal.
If you are worried about it I would search on u tube as there is usually something on there to help.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Well first of all acquire a spirit level - or part fill a transparent bottle with coloured water as a large easily visible alternative when laid on it's side. Left to right use levelling ramps - place the ramp under the low wheel and tow the caravan forward slowly until level. Front to back either buy some stacking blocks (circular or square are available from suppliers or auction sites) or cut some suitable blocks of wood (sections of fence post or the like). Ensure the handbrake is fully engaged. Raise or lower with the jockey wheel until level then lower the steadies. Blocks can even be useful on an undulating pitch where maybe one corner needs extra. Personally I don't like the steadies to be wound to anything near vertical and use 4 circular 15cm height bought items that can be stacked or used individually.
Worth the effort for a level bed and enabling the water to run down the sink and the shower outlets!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
audiorob said:
...Personally I don't like the steadies to be wound to anything near vertical and use 4 circular 15cm height bought items that can be stacked or used individually...!

What is your concern about using the steadies if they are near vertical?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some slopes require extending the jockey wheel to maximum.Using blocks of wood then extend the steadies to maximum. Fully wind up the jockey and lower it as fast as you can using the main clamp. Place blocks under the jockey and wind up again. Once you reach the level place more blocks under the steadies and make sure all is secure. This method assumes you follow all the previous safety advice. This is effect the stepping method and works in reverse if the other end is sloping

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With our last van I had a set (2) of Babbington Leg Extenders which were steel tubes that went over the caravan legs and which extended the effective length of the legs. The extenders had foot pads to spread the weight. They were very effective as not only did they obviate the need for assorted blocks but they kept the legs outreach wide of the caravan and helped to stabilise it from rocking. When we "gave up caravans" in 2014 the Bebbingtons went with the caravan. The company are still in business but their product line does how the leg extenders, but as fabricators I am sure they might still make a set if required.

Here is the text of a PC post some 7+ years ago!

Hi,

for years I used wood blocks and other bits and pieces. Then after an article in the CC magazine I bought a pair of Bebbington Steps leg extensions. They are square metal tubes that fit over your steady and mate into place with the steady end. Then when you wind them down they just act like longer steadies. I would never be without them and a couple of years ago I lent them to family who were having problems levelling their van as the height of the front made wood blocks and stones not too safe. I left them with them and they posted them back to me. Here is the Bebbington website ...www.bebbingtonsteps.co.uk/

Read more at https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/equipment-accessories/38640-stack-a-pads-any-good#r8j7LbLuIwRA6q1U.99

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Only once have I ever had my front legs fully extended ! We was on the site at Kielder, the jockey wheel pushed right through and sitting on a tree stump and the rear of the van on the back steadies hardly down ! Handbrake firmly on & both wheels well chocked ! But the back of the van was nearly touching the ground , that's how uneven the pitch went away !

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Only once have I ever had my front legs fully extended ! We was on the site at Kielder, the jockey wheel pushed right through and sitting on a tree stump and the rear of the van on the back steadies hardly down ! Handbrake firmly on & both wheels well chocked ! But the back of the van was nearly touching the ground , that's how uneven the pitch went away !

At last years Woosie mini fest at Wallinford, both Dusty dog and myself were pitched on a "hill" back end of the vans almost touching the ground with the front legs fully down and blocks under them , and jockey wheels jacked up as well. But we still had a good time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts