Leveling ramps

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Probably a silly newby question, but is there ever a need to use two leveling ramps on a single axle caravan?

I bought my caravan a few weeks ago, private sale with lots of extras including two leveling ramps. I've noticed that most (but not all) ramps are sold in pairs so is that the reason the previous owner bought two, or is there something I don't know about?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
In a word no, because you will only need one to level side to side. Fore and aft levelling is done by pivoting the caravan on its axle and using the steadies once level.
They are sold in pairs because motorhomes have 4 wheels so two will be needed to level either side to side or fore and aft

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
In a word no, because you will only need one to level side to side. Fore and aft levelling is done by pivoting the caravan on its axle and using the steadies once level.
They are sold in pairs because motorhomes have 4 wheels so two will be needed to level either side to side or fore and aft
That's what I thought. Another kilo I can cut from my payload by sticking one in the garage. :)

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
That's all fine in theory but I've had several occasions where I've had to stack 2 ramps on top of each other to get the van level.
1 such occasion was actually at 1 of the CAMC National Rallies.

Reactions: Beardy and RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My ramps were designed such that two could be used on one side if required. They effectively locked together. But only used the feature once on a Cumbrian CL. But I did carry two as the one not being used to level came in handy at times to support the nose wheel.

Reactions: Beardy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In a word - yes - some sites slope so much from front to back that both wheels need to be on ramps to allow the caravan to be levelled - in addition sometimes one ramp isn't enough so by using the second behind it but on blocks, it's possible to get that wheel higher.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
That's all fine in theory but I've had several occasions where I've had to stack 2 ramps on top of each other to get the van level.
1 such occasion was actually at 1 of the CAMC National Rallies.
I'll have to check whether that's possible with mine. Not sure what make they are but each has a wheel chock that locks on the ramp on a sort of 'shark tooth'. I think they are flat on the bottom but need to have a closer look.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'll have to check whether that's possible with mine. Not sure what make they are but each has a wheel chock that locks on the ramp on a sort of 'shark tooth'. I think they are flat on the bottom but need to have a closer look.
Sounds a bit like the ones I used.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
It depends if your single ramp has a chock as well. If it doesn't then you roll the van up one ramp more than needed, put the second ramp thin end under the wheel on the existing ramp and allow the van to roll to sit on both.

Now here is a question: do you put the ramp in front of the wheel or behind it when using one ramp (with chock) for levelling?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tend to push the van up the ramp, so behind the wheel. Then chock it and apply the handbrake. Make sure all is secure and unhook the car. And never mind the Alko wheel lock.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It depends if your single ramp has a chock as well. If it doesn't then you roll the van up one ramp more than needed, put the second ramp thin end under the wheel on the existing ramp and allow the van to roll to sit on both.

Now here is a question: do you put the ramp in front of the wheel or behind it when using one ramp (with chock) for levelling?
I reverse the caravan up the ramp - that way the handbrake holds instantly - if you go forwards up the ramp there's a possibility that the handbrake will allow it to roll back a bit because of the automatic reversing mechanism.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I reverse the caravan up the ramp - that way the handbrake holds instantly - if you go forwards up the ramp there's a possibility that the handbrake will allow it to roll back a bit because of the automatic reversing mechanism.
As did I. I think most pull the van up the ramp. It may be a bit easier, but will never work as well.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When using ramps, you should always use decent chocks, and not rely on the hand brake, so it makes little difference whether you pull or push the caravan up the ramp.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I haven’t seen ramps which sit on top of each other. Certainly my Milenco ones are not stackable.
Thus I always carry some timber boards for our TA. 48”x4”x1”.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We initially use the yellow Milenco ramps before getting the
Lock n Level system. We had chocks so did not matter whether we pulled the caravan or reversed it up the ramp

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When using ramps, you should always use decent chocks, and not rely on the hand brake, so it makes little difference whether you pull or push the caravan up the ramp.
Of course, use chocks for safety. But why would you not want the added security of the van brakes?

I think it's a no-brainer.

John

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Reverse up the ramp every time to keep clear of the motor movers, chocked and brakes on.

Can't see how two ramps can be safely used to make the wheel higher so we only carry one and a length of decking which the ramp can sit of it necessary for extra height.

Right now the wheel's at the very top of the ramp to get level, just as well as I forgot the plank.

On a side note, 90% of the time its the offside wheel that has to be raised, does anyone else notice that?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reverse up the ramp every time to keep clear of the motor movers, chocked and brakes on.

Can't see how two ramps can be safely used to make the wheel higher so we only carry one and a length of decking which the ramp can sit of it necessary for extra height.

Right now the wheel's at the very top of the ramp to get level, just as well as I forgot the plank.

On a side note, 90% of the time its the offside wheel that has to be raised, does anyone else notice that?
See Jaydugs post #13 which has a picture of using two ramps together.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, the closeup is a bit blured, but zooming in I see the principle, which seems to give another inch or so of height, much the same as adding the plank I mentioned.

Both systems seem to work.
Yes when I used two ramps the rear one was only just pushed under the back end of the front one to give that final bit of height.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts