Levelling devices

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I am due to get a New Twin Axle Lunar next June and wish some help as to the type of Levelling System to get as I am disabled.
I will also need to fit 2 Al-ko wheel lock.
I have looked at a few but there are a big difference in price like over double.
Please Help.
Thank you

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Angus,

We have a twin axle also and the can be a pain to fit the locks and level it up.
We have the new lock and level system and would not be without it.
Check it out HERE

I've tried the plank and ramp method and although it works for levelling you still have to jack the van up to fit the 2nd lock. This system does the lot and in my opinion worth the price tag.

It does take a couple of attempts to get the hang of it but after that you're away.

Hope this helps

Phil

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Two things jump to mind. The second levelling system first!

The fully automated system appears to rely totally on just the corner steadies. Surely, you should always raise a caravan by its suspension, i.e. under the wheel otherwise you are putting undue strain on the chassis.

Secondly, I like the idea of the inflatable bag, but I wonder how long it will be before the bag starts to perish. Secondly, I notice the company only issues phone numbers and have no address displayed on their website. That one always makes me dubious. The mechanics too spring to mind. Unless the bag is fully inflated, which according to them is up to six inches, then surely there must be some movement in a bag inflated say to 2.5 inches as the whole thing by nature is flexible.

For a time, I had one of the milenco levellers, and found that, unlike on a ramp where the caravan was lifted vertically, the milenco tried to push the van against the opposing wheel giving us the situation where the floor would creak continually and sometimes, we couldnt close doors properly. That one was soon confined to fleabay.

To my mind there are many many caravan gadgets out there that perhaps require a little lateral thinking before one buys them.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thingy said:
The fully automated system appears to rely totally on just the corner steadies. Surely, you should always raise a caravan by its suspension, i.e. under the wheel otherwise you are putting undue strain on the chassis.

I thought the fully automatic systems had 2 vertical jacks attached to the axle which levelled the van side to side first, and then used something to level front to back.

Edit - With this example it appears the vertical jacks may bolt to the chassis, as the fixing plate has multi holes.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yep, my mistake. I rewatched the video, this time with the sound on :woohoo:

It is indeed lifted by two jacks under the axle.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Secondly, I like the idea of the inflatable bag, but I wonder how long it will be before the bag starts to perish. Secondly, I notice the company only issues phone numbers and have no address displayed on their website. That one always makes me dubious. The mechanics too spring to mind. Unless the bag is fully inflated, which according to them is up to six inches, then surely there must be some movement in a bag inflated say to 2.5 inches as the whole thing by nature is flexible.
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/51880-levelling-devices/reply#cIIaiqVj57bdmbiQ.99

Hi Thingy,

I didn't notice the address issue, I had researched the kit then saw it working at the Newark show and talked at length with the guy that developed it.
I too wonder how the bag will fair in the long term but only time will tell. Up to now it has worked fine though on one occasion the bag did seem to twist on inflation, but that was the first time I tried it and could have been my fault. It does indeed inflate up to 6" but not had to use it that high (yet)
When it is used under normal type leveling it is solid at only 6 psi. I don't know how but it does and there is no movement.
I don't think there are many of these around at the moment so I will post from time to time to let you all know how well it keeps performing.
Regards to all.

Phil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Thingy,

It's often quite surprising and a valuable lesson when some has a stroke of genius and comes up with a really simple, elegant but effective solution to a problem.

I have nothing what so ever to do with Lock 'n' Level,- but I wish I had.

The stability of the 'pillows' should be fine even when only partly inflated, because once the required elevation has been achieved you should have stabilised the caravan using its steadies. The steadies supply more than enough lateral support to stop any shimmy of the air bags, after all that's what they do if you don't need to elevate the wheel.

Another advantage that has not been mentioned yet is the fact that the pillows will spread the load of the wheels, so it will not sink as much into the turf or softer surfaces. The compliance of the pillows will adapt to slightly irregular surfaces actually improving stability,

I do share a little concern about the long term reliability of the bags so there's something to watch, but I hope the manufacturer will have done the necessary design and development work to ensure a good long life. It certainly makes sense to use a mat under the bags to give added protection against sharps.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, we'll see. I actually took the plunge and ordered one. They have promised delivery before I leave for Dorset so I should be able to give it a once over for the forum. Thought postage a tad expensive though.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I take that back about the postage. Ordered yesterday afternoon, arrived this afternoon. Thats good in anyones book.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi rang 01525375271 was an answer phone left message.
Thank you I will look at anything
Here is the answer from Lunar.
Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding to you. My role at Lunar Caravans is a travelling role and I have not had the opportunity to reply before now due to travel commitments.

I have taken advice from our design team and aftersales with reference to your enquiry. Unfortunately we are unable to support the use of any particular leveling system as we have not carried out the necessary testing on such items to see if or how they affect the Caravans construction in an adverse manner. Consequently should you wish to have a levelling system fitted any damage or warranty issue that arose from the fitting or use of the system would not be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

If you have any further queries then please feel free to get in touch.

Best Regards

Ben Parkin.
Account Manager.
Lunar Caravans Ltd.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There's a surprise :eek:hmy:
An honest answer from Lunar but covering their backsides very well.

As Angus has a twin axle it may well be the case that a levelling system fitted on one axle only could cause misplaced stress loads . One for the Prof I think :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sproket,

If a customer is told by their manufacturer something will invalidate their warranty, then frankly what other manufacturers do or say is totally irrelevant.

However a die hard customer were so inclined, they may try to prove that such a ban is effectively an unfair/unreasonable term in their warranty contract, but I would not hold out much hope of success as there are so many variables that it could be shown either way that some such devices would be fine, and others could cause unreasonable wear stress or damage.

Thankyou Dusty,

Without knowing the model of leveling system and how it works, or the design and construction of the caravan in question, it is simply not possible to give a specific answer.

Provided as you suggest the the leveler only acted on the wheel or axle of a caravan, then as previously discussed in other threads and in general terms only, at no more than maneuvering speeds or when stationary the axles/chassis of a twin axle caravan should be capable of carrying the whole weight of the caravan on only one of its axles. As ever the normal steadies should be used to stabilise the caravan before people enter it and move about inside.

So in theory if a leveling device only acted on one axle or wheel it should not cause excess stresses on the chassis.

The same may not be true of the leveler is attached to any other part of the caravan, for example the rear end of the main chassis beams or outriggers designed for the conventional caravan steadies. Excess loads (such as lifting a major part of the caravans weight) on any of these points is likely to cause twisting or distortion of the chassis and thus the whole caravan.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Only just caught up with this post, I have to say it looks a really practical solution to levelling on site. The only problem would be to ensure there were no sharp objects underneath the fabric, before rolling the van over it, after that it is very straigh forward to use. It may be a good idea to place a grip mat, used when the ground is soft, underneath it to protect the fabric. As regards how long it would last, I would think for quite few years as most sites are level and it would be unlikely that you would use it too often, but when you did it would make life much easier.

Just a thought for when you are storing the van, could it be that if you used one on each side you would preserve your tyres much better, but would the cost not justify this?

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks about details of the 'lock and level ' system have spoken to the guy and he was most helpful.

This looks like the way out.

I am going to check with Lunar again to make sure this won't effect warrenty.
Seen you tube looks good not as simple but not the price.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been looking at caralevel And E&P now I am looking at 'lock and level '
That's a blow up one.
I will keep you informed thanks for your help.
Angus

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I looked at the buccaneers at Lawns and while being 8' wide they never had the size and design otherwise I would have looked at them also I have a problem with their towing weight.
Here is an area I am confused on but awaiting reply from Volvo.
I have a XC 60 D3 AWD autotronic diesel 2.4 SELUX AND 2011/12 model but they seem to be wrong on the web sites.
It states in the car 2000 and 2000 and if you work that as 1710 for the Lunar divided by 85 multiple by 100 it just does at max.

But on the info on the other websites this model does not show right.
Open to any advice as this is hard to understand.
I have been told but just want to see it for myself.
Thank again for your help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angus1945 said:
Hi
Here is an area I am confused on but awaiting reply from Volvo.
I have a XC 60 D3 AWD autotronic diesel 2.4 SELUX AND 2011/12 model but they seem to be wrong on the web sites.
It states in the car 2000 and 2000 and if you work that as 1710 for the Lunar divided by 85 multiple by 100 it just does at max.

But on the info on the other websites this model does not show right.
Open to any advice as this is hard to understand.
I have been told but just want to see it for myself.
Thank again for your help.

Hello Angus,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the figures you have given represent, and I suspect you have not understood the figures and how to use them correctly.

What I can tell you is that most if not all the third party car and caravan weights comparison web sites (Matching services) contain some errors, and unfortunately we don't know which figures are wrong. So you have to check every detail they use matches you car and caravan EXACTLY. Do not trust any result if ANY detail is different to the models you have.

The only reliable source of information is from the vehicle data plates and V5c registration document, as these are the official record of the vehicle and would be used if you are subject to an inspection.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

6 weeks away and used the device extensively, up to now it has worked well and we have had no problems.
How is yours Thingy ?

Pgil

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Sounds ideal for my upcoming needs, I have just secured a seasonal pitch from next March until November.

Do you think it would be up to the job for long term use?

obviously the van would be moved every now and then for the sake of the grass on the pitch

Simon

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Though it isn't designed for long term use I don't see why not.
Mine has never leaked so does not need topping up. On the other hand we have just secured a position for next season and I will not be using it for that period of time. It just feels more of a touring thing than all season to me.
Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts