levelling the caravan

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
just wondering if its ok to level the caravan using the wind down stabilizers on one side even if it means the wheels are raised off the ground.Its parked in our garden at the moment and i haven't got the levelling ramps yet .Would it be better to jack it off the ground and place blocks under the wheels its a twin axle bailey's senator

thanx for any help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
never use the steadies to lift the van,they were not made for that.they are STEADIES not jacks.either jack up and use blocks,or use the ramp type blocks that you can either reverse or pull up on

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
Use a two tonne jack. I carry mine in the boot of the car as a the jack if it starts to move inside you van will do a lot of damage

Tonus

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suggested a trolley jack because you talked about jacking it up at home. When I am away I carry a 2 ton bottle jack in the caravan - it is very small. I have got a block of wood to go under the axle, with a hole drilled in it to accept the shaft of the jack. So no slippage. Hopefully. I've never had to use it in many many miles of towing both UK and abroad.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suggested a trolley jack because you talked about jacking it up at home. When I am away I carry a 2 ton bottle jack in the caravan - it is very small. I have got a block of wood to go under the axle, with a hole drilled in it to accept the shaft of the jack. So no slippage. Hopefully. I've never had to use it in many many miles of towing both UK and abroad.
Just re-read your question. Sorry, I misunderstood it - tired last night! I always drive onto blocks on site if I need to level - getting the jack out is too much of a kerfuffle.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Pete, it's much easier to use levelling ramps than jacking it up ( trust me I've used both methods ) and if you don't want to carry a trolley jack around with you a 2 ton scissor jack will do the job and in most cases replace your car jack.

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
hi

thanx for the tips roy and mike have got a 2 ton scissor jack now and will probably just level off the area i'm storing it in the near future

thanx again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi

i've found the relevant part in the manual but struggling to jack it up with the car jack
Hi Pete on the subject of levelling a twin axle van,you wont be able to buy ramps.However they are simple to make;

3 sections of suitable width wood about half inch thick made in three lengths,the shortest being enough to take the two wheels,champer the leading edges so as to ensure a smooth run,put a coach bolt through the 3 boards,not too tight,this will enable you to adjust the height from 1/2" to 1and a 1and 1/2" Gives you this effect _________

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts