Lidl Portable Sat. dish offer.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I see Lidl have an offer for a Sivercrest portable satellite receiver that has over 4500 programmable channels that has been a previous best seller. Does anyone know if this will pick up Eurosport, what are main channels available (or where can I find out) and is this dish compatible with SKY digital ie could I plug my SKY box in on my travels?

Cheers

Pete

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
2006 12:51 PM Pete I saw this advertised.

Lutz I looked on this website and some of the channels my children like, you have to pay for.

Do you have to have a card like I have at the moment for my sky box,or can you pay as you view?

My husband suggested that we took our own sky box with us in our van, but I rang sky and they said you cannot do that because the sky box needs to be connected to my phone line at all times.

I know my phone lines plugged in but I sure it does not work because we have tried to play on playjam and it says that connection failed.Also when we moved the TV down the other end of the room it ws not plugged in for months. They never sent me a letter. Does this rule still apply? We have had our sky box now going on at least 10 yrs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Allyson,

I am not Sky subscriber but your question is down to basic Contract Law

When you took up your Sky subscription you signed a contact and agreed to be bound by the terms therin. Part of that contract will probably have allowed Sky to amend or change the terms of the contact, subject to them giving you notice of changes in by some specified method. It may be via notices in national papers, but most usually such changes are notified by post.

If you original contract required a permanent phone line connection, and sky have not advised you differently, then you are still bound by the original contract and should maintain a permanent phone line connection.

Contacts issued after your own may have had that clause modified, but that has no bearing on your own contractual obligations.

If you are in doubt about your current contract, you can only contact Sky for advice.

Aug 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi, when you take outa Sky subscription you are committed to keep it plugged into the telephone line for one year, after that you can disconnect. Although Sky will continue to send you letters about not having it connected. I believe lots of vanners take their Sky box when they go on trips. I have just bought a maxview dish & tripod etc and I will take my Skybox with me. Check your original contract if you still have the paperwork.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
2006 12:51 PM Pete I saw this advertised.

Lutz I looked on this website and some of the channels my children like, you have to pay for.

Do you have to have a card like I have at the moment for my sky box,or can you pay as you view?

My husband suggested that we took our own sky box with us in our van, but I rang sky and they said you cannot do that because the sky box needs to be connected to my phone line at all times.

I know my phone lines plugged in but I sure it does not work because we have tried to play on playjam and it says that connection failed.Also when we moved the TV down the other end of the room it ws not plugged in for months. They never sent me a letter. Does this rule still apply? We have had our sky box now going on at least 10 yrs.
I've been told that you only have to be connected to the phone for the first 12 months( and i think thats what the small print says in the adverts too)

Pete

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Once your 1st year's subscription is up, you can unplug the phone line. We have not had the phone line plugged in for several years. We have our Sky box in the caravan and use the card from home, no problem all we do is connect it up to our dish and Bobs your uncle, no sweat.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There are enough free-to-view channels on the various satellites. The choice is relatively large so why bother about a Sky in the caravan unless you'd badly miss one or other of the pay-TV channels?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Pete I saw this advertised.

every now an then they just do spot checks on some phone line all they would do was to send you a letter to connect it.it just means you cant vote on bb and stuff like that.if we get one we will take our receiver with us and the card.we have a sky plus box so i hope it works.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
As far as using your sky box away from home no problem after 12months.

But the problem lies with the viewing card which remains the property of SKY and cannot be used `legaly` outside the address to which it is registered. (I think)

Tony A.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The main problem with freeview it is only as good as the signal strength. If you are in a bad area, no freeview, but more than likely you nwil get a Sky signal. I used to use an ordinary domestic type dish on a tripod no problem. We now use the maxview dish on a tripod. The main reason for this is that the tripod fell over and the LNB shear in half. You can pick up a dish, LNB etc on eBay for about

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks all the info that has been shared about the channels that can be received fromm the two main satellites. Am I right in thinking that if I bought the set up from lidl for every day use and needed to bring a sky box to watch a big match or stages from the Tour de France then as long as the dish was aligned correctly then it would be ok?

Sorry to go on

Pete

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Where does the dish plug into? The back of the tv? I just boaught a freeveiw box last week and couldnt ge a signal out in Alford. I am aware its bad there, but i will going to ather places and i am wondering whether to buy a dish or take my sky box.

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks lutz. I am new to the caravanning game and wanting to get more home comforts onboard. Lutz, off the record here are you the lutz that worked on the Chirag 1 in Baku?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Good grief, no! I've travelled around the world quite a lot and outside Europe I've worked in the US but never in such an out-of-the-way place as Baku.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts