Lifelong love of caravans coming to an end

May 15, 2023
Visit site
After years of camping and caravanning, circumstances mean we're having to sell, and finding it a dreadful time. Our lovely Bailey Pegasus Verona , only owned for 6 months, is not shifting.
Has anyone any advice on why the market seems to have dropped so quickly?
I'm sad even writing this post.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
After years of camping and caravanning, circumstances mean we're having to sell, and finding it a dreadful time. Our lovely Bailey Pegasus Verona , only owned for 6 months, is not shifting.
Has anyone any advice on why the market seems to have dropped so quickly?
I'm sad even writing this post.
Prices of used caravans, and used cars, shot up due to the effect of Covid restrictions on production - but those high prices were never going to last forever and are now starting to drop - so making the asking price realistic is key to selling your caravan, despite the fact that it may seem unfair based on the price you paid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you are selling your caravan. I used CMHC Members classifieds but it was not a success. Then I used Autotrader and within two hours of the ad appearing I had received three offers. Two were from agents sourcing vans for dealers. And their offers were not silly. The third was a private buyer who came nearer to my asking price. And by lunchtime he had driven from Cardiff to view and transferred £500 holding deposit.

It had a full documented service history, a full AWS damp check prior to selling and despite being 9 years old it was immaculate.

Before buying the advert on Autotrader I spent time looking at similar caravan types to get an idea of dealer asking prices. I then priced mine accordingly and it was sold with all kit too. So a buyer could tow it away and go straight on holiday if required. It was powered up on the drive with water supplied so all systems could be seen working.

I suspect that given the cost of pitch fees and living costs rises, plus there will be people who have decided that caravan and motorhome living are not for them. They have probably decided that Staycations are somewhat expensive compared to overseas holidays and overall the market has probably peaked and is on its way down.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suspect that given the cost of pitch fees and living costs rises, plus there will be people who have decided that caravan and motorhome living are not for them. They have probably decided that Staycations are somewhat expensive compared to overseas holidays and overall the market has probably peaked and is on its way down.

Good luck.
Probably be the main reason for people selling caravans and I like you i suspect the market will get flooded with second hand caravans at below the normal asking price until the market levels out again.

However I also think that hopefully we will see the prices of pitches dropping down to a more realistic value than currently.

As for the OP they will probably need to drop their prices and take a hit.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Cost of living. We have cut way back on the number of trips we do and distance from home. That is with and without the Caravan. Most weekends used to see us going to gigs around the country or away in the caravan, but we've been to two gigs this year and have maybe one more that we will attend and used the caravan for two weekends.
As for the caravan, we bought the first one 18 years ago when the kids were young as a way to have cheap holidays. As we have both had effectivly pay cuts for the last 13 years it becomes more and more difficult to justify going away. Selling the caravan is becoming an increasing possibility unfortunately.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you are selling your caravan we had ours on preloved and fb we had 15 enquiries on our 14 year old caravan it came with a full service history from new + stamps a damp check and we included some extras fantastic condition and someone brought it for the full asking price put a deposit down and couple of days later paid the balance .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with RogerL. Caravan prices after the first covid problem due to the makers being shut and creating a shortage of new models meaning owners due to change could not with this reducing the caravans coming into the second hand market. At the same time travel abroad or hotel accommodation was difficult meaning many new people wanted caravans and increased the problem of the shortage.
The makers have now got supply nearer demand with the result more second hand caravans are now on the market and many of those who tried caravans have decided it was not for them meaning demand has dropped and with it prices.
I am afraid people like Julia will be nursing large losses if they have to sell now, but what we have is the market going back to the correct level.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Plus there is the VAT on the original purchase that cannot be recouped. That is now gone.
That's a myth - it's just co-incidence that cars, caravans, etc lose about 20% between selling price and dealer buying price - the law of supply & demand determines prices.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's a myth - it's just co-incidence that cars, caravans, etc lose about 20% between selling price and dealer buying price - the law of supply & demand determines prices.
I am not sure why you think it is a myth when it is fact especially in this case. May have been true for a very brief period due to Covid, but no longer applies.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure why you think it is a myth when it is fact especially in this case. May have been true for a very brief period due to Covid, but no longer applies.
The law of supply and demand always applies - used prices go up and down compared to new price with no relationship to the VAT rate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The law of supply and demand always applies - used prices go up and down compared to new price with no relationship to the VAT rate.
However still not a myth which ever way you look as when you purchase anything you pay VAT so it you had to sell the next day it is highly unlikely you would recoup the VAT also even if the article is in demand. However if it makes you happy thinking that it is myth, that is all that counts. :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
However still not a myth which ever way you look as when you purchase anything you pay VAT so it you had to sell the next day it is highly unlikely you would recoup the VAT also even if the article is in demand. However if it makes you happy thinking that it is myth, that is all that counts. :D
Whilst you'll never normally recoup the full amount you paid for an item, the difference is unrelated to the VAT, evidenced by the fact that the difference could be any figure depending on demand, not necessarily 20% - you seem happy to artifically relate the two together

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst you'll never normally recoup the full amount you paid for an item, the difference is unrelated to the VAT, evidenced by the fact that the difference could be any figure depending on demand, not necessarily 20% - you seem happy to artifically relate the two together
II am pleased to know that you are happy with your conclusion whatever it may be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts