Lighter gas bottles

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Now that I've got the extra weight of the mover fitted I'm wondering about getting Calor lite or BP Gaslite cylinders to replace.

I currently use Flo-gas steel cylinders from a local supplier as they are cheaper for the gas than Calor.

What are other people's experiences of lighter cylinders? I'm attracted by the light weight of the BP offering but the distribution network seems a bit limited.

Tim

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
The light ones weigh in at about 10kg inc the gas when full, the normal ones weigh in at any were between 17 - 20kg when full, i have one calor light which is now empty, my other one ran out when we were away and i tried to replace it with another calor light, but they seem to be in short supply again, so i ended up with a normal steel one, for vans that struggle with there nose weight, they will be a godsend.

If your nose weight is already close to the limit & you have two of these & then run out, by just replacing one, with a normal steel one you could be over weight by quite a lot. !!

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I looked into these some time ago. I looked at there distribution as well , but look out , a lot of the dealers stocked only ones for patio heaters and they dont fit caravans. It may have changed but its worth looking into.

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tim

We've been using the BP lightgas for about 2 years now. Never had a problem getting a refill. I have 2 so that 1 is always full and 1 in use.
I use the bp light weight ones too and ya can see how much gas ya have in the bottle.No prob with supply just pull in at homebase,most towns have one.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I've been using BP Gaslight since it came on the market and have had no problems getting them changed (even in Inverness). Homebase and many dealers have it. It works out cheaper than CalorLite if you buy the 10kg size (last week

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all these helpful replies.

To all of those who use the BP "bottles" how well do they fit in your gas locker? Do you have the extra base to make it fit better? Do you need an longer strap to secure the bottle?

Particularly to VM2 and Dave, and any others who use the 10Kg BP Light bottles - how well do they fit in your gas lockers height and girth wise? I have a Bailey Senator Arizona which takes 2 x 6Kg steel cylinders.

Thanks in anticipation

Tim

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Stand to be corrected on this Mikey, but I think the Propane & Butane in gas cylinders is derived from crude oil and not natural gas.

Crude oil $ prices have been rising over the past months. I have been watching closely as our central heating oil tank is nearly empty :(

G

Crude oil prices are averaging $85 per barrel which is about 50% more than the average $50-60 per barrel this time last year. However these are still well below the highs of $140 per barrel in 2008. So the rise in lpg costs by both BP and Calor have not too much to do with oil prices but due to other factors, and you can choose yourself which you think are important. Dollar/Pound ratios, VAT and Duty increases and probably a desire to increase profit margins all have had an effect. It is recognised that buying gas from Calor is probably the most expensive way of purchasing it, but as a niche market using cylinders, we have little choice. Again, the less you can use in a season the better value to you as a consumer. This is where that cheap CL/CS site may not be so cheap in the long term, but each msut make their own choice. Winter camping is bound to be more expensive unless you wish to cuddle up under the duvets all day long.

Buying the lightweigt cylinders does give a weight advantage but the extra 7 kg may be just as easily gained from some selective 'dumping' of equipment and save the extra costs.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Folks

I'd still be grateful for answers to my questions from BP Gas Light users about fitting 5/10kg BP Gas Light botles in the front lockers - Ours is a Bailey Senator Arizona. Whether people use the special bases to help the bottles fit and whether they use a longer securing strap?

I AM probably going to change to lighter bottles and I am currently hoping that information from current users can help me with my decision.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I am curious as to why you want to reduce the weight of the gas bottles following the fitment of a power mover?

If it is an overall towing weight-thing then - despite the advantages - should you have had the mover fitted in the first place? If you need to reduce overall weight to compensate then why not look at what you carry and see if you can get rid of some of it. Let's face it we all carry far to much kit most of which that we never need or rarely use. If you must take it but want to get it out of the van then carry it in the boot.

If it is because of the bigger battery sitting foward of the axle and thus putting more weight on the hitch do some maths on turning moments and see just how much effect it will have had - it may be much less than you think - and you could find yourself low on nose weight. [If you want detail on turning moments just ask - its only simple maths.]

Ultimately, is the effort (and possible cost) of changing the gas bottles worth it. Having said that I would acknowledge that the differential offered by Flo-Gas is nothing like as great as it used to be.

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tim,

In responce to your point on fitting for the BP gas bottles if your Bailey is fairly new should not be problem as the base fixing will take the new bottle and the support strap that goes round the bottles are quite long enough . I had no problem with fitting on my Bailey Ser 5.

Regards Dave.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi tim,

When I changed to BP litegas the cylinders would'nt fit the trays, so I got rid of them and some 3/4 inch wood around the cylinders so they sit inside. Works a treat.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
PCV Dave

Thanks for that specific information on fitting BP Light bottles in your Bailey Senator 5. My 'van is a Sorento Arizona (Series 5/2006). Do you use 5Kg and/or 10KGg BP Light bottles.

Thanks

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim,

The new lightweight Calor gas bottles are great, Make sure you get the ones with a guage fitted, as i have seen some without.

Sod the extra price your back will say thank you,It makes getting the bottles in and out the front locker, so much easier.

I certanly would not exchange my lightweight bottles for the old heavy ones, some places you cannot exchange from heavy to lightweight without paying extra costs, where I got mine from it was a straight exchange.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
To answer the question do BP Gaslight cylinders fit - yes.

We had 1998 Bailey ranger, a Bailey Pageant Series 6 and now a bailey Pageant Series 7 and both the 5kg and 10kg clinders fitted in all of the vans and the strap is long enough. I assume that the gas lockers on the senator range would also be able to accommodate these cylinders.

In the end you pays your money and takes your choice - I have to use Calor cylinders for my boat - I'd change to BP like a shot if I could but the gas locker is an exact size for the 3.9kg and the BP won't fit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts