London Excel show

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Anyone been to / going to the Motorhome, Caravan and Camping Show? Just interested really. I am there again tomorrow and Sunday.

This is one of the more interesting things at the show!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sadly, Nigel, Excel isn't easy to get to from 'THE NORTH'! Even though our son lives in North East London, it's just a step too far. We can get to the NEC in a couple of hours from home, park for free, don't have to pay London Weighting Allowance, or whatever the 'pollution tax' is called, do the whole show, pick up our purchases, AND be back home again in time for supper.
So, basically, we're not going this year!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Im afraid Excel is the wrong side of town for me, i live in the Reading area and i have a choice of across London or around the M25 neither are very good.
Public transport too expensive and dont enjoy the underground.
I always attended the Earls Court show which i use to prefer more than the NEC same travel time but not the rip off NEC prices.

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Went to show Wednesday with kids. saw the Karavan, quite an interetsing idea, especially if you are into bikes and quads, just drive in and sleep.
Had a really good bargain from DFDS seaways.
dover to calais sat 21 july
calais to dover mon 6th aug
2 adults, 3 kids, bailey ranger 620/6 twin axle (so that quite long!!)
online £180
c&cc £163.00
direct with DFDS £108

My friend with same dates, 2 adults 1 child
£58 instead of £78 !!

also bought a body board (£15 half price)
skim board (£15 half price)
AND took out subscription to Practical Caravan, and had a lovely AERO towing mirror as a free gift.
Which was very lucky as I trod on one of my towing mirrors only last week !!

Only 1 minor experience, booked into try towing a motorhome with Caravan Club.
Got queue jumped, and all the Caravan Club people did was flap, poorly organised, and everything I thought about that club seems true, dont know their arris from their elbow, and stuck up it as well.
Looking forward to Practical Caravan rally again, with good people who DO know what they are talking about!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
wolfman said:
Looking forward to Practical Caravan rally again, with good people who DO know what they are talking about!!
Hi Wolfman, we'll look forward to seeing you at Stowford
smiley-laughing.gif

With the NEC not too far from where we live we wouldn't consider the London show, but it makes more sense to have large caravan shows in Manchester, Birmingham and London but with the NEC show in October and run by caravan manufacturers as it was last year ticket prices were more reasonable, rather than two expensive NEC caravan / boat shows and no London venue as was previously the case

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nigel
Going down sunday and will visit you,I have saved some cash for the show and have a shopping list hope to get some good deals,on my list is a fleece does pc sell any products

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
We did go on Friday, but to be honest I am still unsure if it was worth it due to the amount and cost of traveling.
Living just outside Cardiff, the NEC is traverlable by car and there is no Severn bridge toll or congestion charge to add on, due to this we looked at going to london via train, for return tickets it was £140 for the two of us, then plus the tube and DLR tickets, worked out very expensive. So instead we got a National Express coach which made the cost more bearable.
We both felt that the show was not as big as ones we had previously attened at the NEC and that there was definatly less retailers there this time, we also noticed that there was lots of little stands on the edges selling all types of non-caraving and camping stuff.
if the show is held in Excel again we probably will not attend as it is an expensive day out for a medium sized show.

Stuart.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Interesting feedback from everyone.

Our view is that it was very big for a regional show but probably on the small side for a national show. It was generally cheaper to get a coffee and a sandwich, and they were much, much better than those on offer at NEC! In fact, as a venue, ExCeL is excellent as a venue in many ways, but there is no denying that the NEC is in a brilliant, central location. Dealers will say there were not enough customers, but with over 40k people through the gates, it was not a bad turn out. Certainly more than the last Earls Court show in 2007.

We got some videos made at the show of some bits and bobs and you can see them at www.youtube.com/practicalcaravan

As always, accessories were not in a great supply but has anyone ever been to a show where there are enough accessories?

I'm sure we'll get feedback from the industry over the coming week about how the show went and I let you all know.

And Gagekev, we will have stickers by the time we get to Stowford for the rally. If you aren't going to Stowford, I will personally post one out to you!

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Went to the show on Saturday and had a great day. According to the sales people it was by far the busiest day of the week but still plenty of room to look around.Think the other days were a bit quiet.

Went with friends and both of us ended up buying a new Swift Challenger Sport 584 Special edition from Mathew at Highbridge Caravans. Both of us loved the van and the special edition will give us all the bits we are use to having got a 550 Highbridge special at the moment.

We were at the show fronm 10.30 until closing time and did not get around it all.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and now waiting for delivery of the van at the end of March.

Andrew

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Nigel Donnelly said:
And Gagekev, we will have stickers by the time we get to Stowford for the rally. If you aren't going to Stowford, I will personally post one out to you!

Hi Nigel, booked up for Stowford and then a bombshell hit us, we were invited to a family wedding!!!
Oh decision's decision's now what do we do, made even worse as daughter is bridesmaid, grandson is page boy
Oh decision's decision's

See you at Stowford
smiley-smile.gif

PS, As I am committed, dedicated, and very loyal to PCv can I have two, one for the van and one for the car
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Kev, are you not a devon lad anyway, so you can do stowford and the wedding? And therefore is it not also the case that you are sucking up to the editor just to get two stickers? Furthermore do you not have every intention of placing one of the stickers, not on your car or caravan, but on your Combine? I fear nefarious plots may be afoot and want to know if there are stocks at the ready at Stowalot.
mel
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Nigel Donnelly said:

For that level of effort, two stickers will not be a problem!
Gagakev said:
Hi Nigel, booked up for Stowford and then a bombshell hit us, we were invited to a family wedding!!!
Oh decision's decision's now what do we do, made even worse as daughter is bridesmaid, grandson is page boy
Oh decision's decision's

See you at Stowford
smiley-smile.gif

Gagakev said:
PS, As I am committed, dedicated, and very loyal to PCv can I have two, one for the van and one for the car
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
ascsbe said:
Went to the show on Saturday and had a great day. According to the sales people it was by far the busiest day of the week but still plenty of room to look around.Think the other days were a bit quiet. Went with friends and both of us ended up buying a new Swift Challenger Sport 584 Special edition from Mathew at Highbridge Caravans. Both of us loved the van and the special edition will give us all the bits we are use to having got a 550 Highbridge special at the moment. We were at the show fronm 10.30 until closing time and did not get around it all. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and now waiting for delivery of the van at the end of March. Andrew

Very nice! That's the new island bed layout isn't it?

The show was very big. Too big for a show with no campsite I'd say. Glad you had a good day and enjoy your new van

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Apologise's for going slightly off topic

Mel said:
Kev, are you not a devon lad anyway, so you can do stowford and the wedding? And therefore is it not also the case that you are sucking up to the editor just to get two stickers? Furthermore do you not have every intention of placing one of the stickers, not on your car or caravan, but on your Combine? I fear nefarious plots may be afoot and want to know if there are stocks at the ready at Stowalot.
mel
smiley-wink.gif
Lady Mel,I was going to ask for the third sticker after I had bought Nigel a pint at the bar

me ne·far·i·ous

extremely wicked or villainous; iniquitous: a nefarious plot
First I got called a Woosie now I'm wicked oh well things are looking up
smiley-smile.gif

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I went to the show on Saturday and thought there was plenty there to occupy my day. Living in Kent it only took 40 minutes to get to via the Blackwall tunnel. Parking was a breeze, and of course free, with no queues and a covered 50 yard walk from my car to the entrance door. For a venue like this I didn't think the refreshment prices were extortionate, £2.00 for a coffee sounds about right. I went to the NEC a couple of years ago and although probably a bigger show the traveling has put me off since.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts