long stay.... brittany

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello, can anyone advise me on what would be a good part of brittany to explore for a few months. ive heard that the pink granite is worth a look. but dont know much of the area.it would be our first trip abroad with a caravan.we would do dover calais. we dont want busy sites, just to relax and do nothing,and go look at the local areas.this would be with a view to spend more time in france in the coming years. so any advise would be welcome. thankyou

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
La cote de granit rose? Yes, it really is worth while.

If you are a birder, then the big attraction is "Les Sept Isles" during the breeding season - thousands and thousands of Puffins (macareau) and other birds - boat trips from local harbours - pick a calm day otherwise you won't be able to land on the islands - but the sea views are fantastic.

Brittany cider and vegetables are probably the best in France. And I'm totally addicted to galette (savoury buckwheat crepes) and crepe (wheat flour - desert). One of the most popular varieties is a galette covered with grated gruy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try Camp de Letty at Benodet - very clean and quiet family run site. A short walk into Benodet around the coastal path. Surrounding countryside is beautiful and very clean. Quimper, Concarneau and surrounding towns/cities are well worth a visit. Don't go to Brest - dirty industrial town. We sailed Plymoth to Roscoff as we had never taken caravan abroad before and it was then a short drive down to Quimper on dual carraigeway roads and then onto Benodet. Went with Select Sites of Abergaveny who sorted everything out for us incl. ferry, insurances, camp fees, etc. Benodet area is quite flat so if you have pushbikes take them with you. Sorry if my French spelling is not perfect. The site and Select Sites both have web sites. Good luck and enjoy your visit - we certainly enjoyed every minute of our stay there.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you've got a couple of months of availability then you could tour the whole of the north Normandy coast on your way from Calais, staying a few days in all the areas you fancy, and then around the north Brittany Coast, along the Finistere Coast, then back through southern Brittany and inland Normandy, back to the ferry. If you go out of peak season you should have no problem getting on sites (peak in France tends to be 12 July to 15th August, ish). It gets busy in early July, but in mid-August you'll find sites empty rapidly.

Try the Camping Cheque network for suitable sites along the coasts, and think about using Camping Cheques (brings the cost down to only

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou to the suggestions above. i will look into touring the area aswell i think. as it will be our first time abroad i wanted to make the most of it. it will be out of season also. thankyou again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reason we went from Plymouth was that as it was our first time we thought we would drive most of the route with the van in this country and then go solo on the French roads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts