long term vanning

can anyone advise on the perks and pitfalls to be anticipated by retireds spending lengthy periods in a trailer van, summer and winter.I have experience of motor and trailer vanning but only for extended holidays.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's interesting, and disapointing, that you have not yet had any replies. Although we have a few years to go before we can sell up (the only way to fund it) and go, we have a serious plan in mind, and intend to roam in the U.K. only. There are many possible hazards, but I think a lot are perceived as problems, but can be overcome by being positive and flexible and being prepared to adapt. The more major problems not overcome yet are, apart from the funding issue, an address for legal/post/insurance/tax purposes, doctors and longer term hospital treatment etc, how to manage on just battery power in winter if funds don't allow continual mains hook-up, and ... well there are more but there is not enough space here to discuss them. Seriously, it obviously is possible, there are quite a lot of 'all year' sites provided you are prepared to move on fairly frequently. The west country is the obvious place to over-winter, if you want comparative warmth. I will be interested to read any other replies you have.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David and Tony, interested to see this thread - abot to post something on the forum re costs. We are thinking of taking early retirement soon - just trying to see if we can afford it. We intend on buying a house in a haper area and then going off in the van, both in the UK and to sunnier parts in the Winter and occassionally 'popping home', at least for the first x number of years. Is there anyone out there doing this and, if so, would they mind sharing their experiences of costs. We are trying to calculate how much we will need to retire on but obviously, any actual information will b better than our theoretical calculations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have "gone away" as often as possible thro' the year and have thoroughly enjoyed it. In this country you need E/L or a genny for the winter, if going down to Spain/Portugal then a good solar panel. Red gas is a must, even in Spain, atleast the northern parts.

Use direct debit payments, even credit cards. arrange for some kindly person to keep an eye on you house.

How to obtain money when abroad at low overheads is something I am, interested in.

ENJOY

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most points covered already. We did this when looking for a house, and found it difficult to get mail forwarded - post office seem to have given up the "post restante" service.

Also read your household insurance very carefully. You will probably find unoccupied cover is limited to 30 days although Saga will do 60. Even then there are conditions and small print. Having someone in to stay is ok if they are family but less certain if they are friends - there was a case some time ago where the insurers treated non-family as tenants and thus not covered.

Unless you use the larger sites with laundry facilities, finding a laundrette can be difficult - far less of them than in my long-ago student days.

Libraries - particulary in Scotland should let you use a computer for free or nominal charge - get you email web-based e.g. tesco.net so yo can check it anywhere, and get your bank account on-line so you can check balances and transfer as required. And of course the ubiquitous mobile and txt msgs.

Most of this applies to Europe as well as UK - happy roaming

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts