Long Vehicle Marker Boards

May 19, 2017
4
0
1,510
Visit site
I'm aware of the requirement that in Spain, 'long vehicle' marker boards are required if outfit length (car & caravan or motorhome) is 12 metres or longer. I'm sure I read somewhere that in France, the same applies if outfit is 13 metres or longer. I would be grateful if anyone can confirm the latter?

Additionally, as my outfit (12.74 metres) will be over 3,500 kg and taking account of my reduced speed restrictions in France, are marker boards similarly a legal requirement?

Just want to be legal when we head off to French soil in May 2020 - no matter whatever the BREXIT outcome will be. Regards
 
Nov 11, 2009
21,144
6,683
50,935
Visit site
Lewis1952 said:
I'm aware of the requirement that in Spain, 'long vehicle' marker boards are required if outfit length (car & caravan or motorhome) is 12 metres or longer. I'm sure I read somewhere that in France, the same applies if outfit is 13 metres or longer. I would be grateful if anyone can confirm the latter?

Additionally, as my outfit (12.74 metres) will be over 3,500 kg and taking account of my reduced speed restrictions in France, are marker boards similarly a legal requirement?

Just want to be legal when we head off to French soil in May 2020 - no matter whatever the BREXIT outcome will be. Regards

Never read of marker boards being required in France. We’ve had a number of holidays there with outfits over 12 m and always bought the CMHC European guides and never come across the requirement for France. Check with CMHC Overseas Travel dept and visit the website. A copy of the travel guide I find invaluable.
 
Jul 15, 2008
3,675
717
20,935
Visit site
The C&MHC has researched the various countries regulations and produced a help sheet and this is the best source of information available.
The use of marker boards in the UK ....France and Portugal as well as Spain is covered.

Click here
 
Nov 11, 2009
21,144
6,683
50,935
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
The C&MHC has researched the various countries regulations and produced a help sheet and this is the best source of information available.
The use of marker boards in the UK ....France and Portugal as well as Spain is covered.

Click here

The link only covers Spain. Is there another one?
 
May 19, 2017
4
0
1,510
Visit site
Indeed; the article is entitled 'Spanish Regulations'. However, the penultimate paragraph reads as follows:

"The marker boards are legal in Portugal and if the combined weight of your vehicles is over 3.5t they are also legal in France."

As the author of the original post, I can confirm that this is the elusive answer to my question regarding marker boards and my outfit which will always have a combined weight in excess of 3,500kg.

Thanks & regards to all who contributed to this matter. Lew
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,925
3,295
50,935
Visit site
I do not know about the regulations in other countries so I cant answer your specific question about the necessity of long vehicle boars, but you post has raised another question.

You make reference to the "combined weight of the vehicle" and infer that if it exceeds 3500kg marker board are required. I am concerned that you may have misunderstood the detail of the requirement .

In most construction and use regulations requirements for specific markers or features are more usually related to the MAM of the vehicle not its weight. Whilst in your case it may not make any difference, but I encourage you to check the details to see if the requirement is related to measured weight or the maximum capacity .

Edit. The CMHC paper does refer to "Gross Weight" and not actual measured weight.
 
Nov 11, 2009
21,144
6,683
50,935
Visit site
Lewis1952 said:
Indeed; the article is entitled 'Spanish Regulations'. However, the penultimate paragraph reads as follows:

"The marker boards are legal in Portugal and if the combined weight of your vehicles is over 3.5t they are also legal in France."

As the author of the original post, I can confirm that this is the elusive answer to my question regarding marker boards and my outfit which will always have a combined weight in excess of 3,500kg.

Thanks & regards to all who contributed to this matter. Lew

The boards are legal for France but isn’t that so that drivers transiting to Spain are legal. But are they required in France? I do not think they are.
 
Jul 15, 2008
3,675
717
20,935
Visit site
.......I posted the link to the help sheet on this matter from the C&MHC because I know that this is the best source of information available.
You can't skim read the sheet ......it contains precise information if you read it carefully.
They have consulted with several foreign governmental departments in order to be definitive.

My understanding is that............
1: Displaying marker boards on a caravan in the UK is illegal (unless built before August 1st 1982 etc)
2: They are legal but not required in Portuguese law.
3: They are legal in France but only if the vehicle is over 3500kgs in weight.....they are not required by French law.
4: They are required by law in Spain regardless of where the vehicle was registered, if your vehicle has a total length of 12 meters or more.
5: The boards must comply with the size and design specifications as laid down and be made from aluminium.

I am aware that most UK outfits over 12 meters travelling from the UK down through France to Spain, fit the boards in the UK and leave them fitted all the time.
Technically these outfits are not complying with UK law whilst on the UK segment of their journey.
However I have never heard of any driver being warned or prosecuted for this.
 

Latest posts