look twice campaign

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Yes you're right, no one is infallible. What I should have said is I've never been involved in any kind of incident or near miss with a bike I didn't see, although I've had a few near misses with bikes due to stupidity by their riders, which is what prompted my first post. I can gather that your circle of rider friends are probably as experienced as yourself and you would consider yourselves all to be fairly sensible, the flip side of that coin is some of the riders I know in my area, of which I could name a dozen right now, who have little to no regard for other road users or, it would seem, their own safety. But to be fair, I know a few car drivers who aren't any better. It makes a change Steve, to talk to a biker who isn't obsessed with speed.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I used to ride with others until the people who lead them started to rush the less experienced riders. I now only ride alone, with the IAM or with riders I know and trust.

There are idiots out there just like car owners and every other group. Unforunatly the biker idiots do not get a second chance!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Craig I know you mean well but just because you haven't had any near misses pulling out on bikes doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

The fact is this is happening every day of the week and you can guarantee that every time that you go out on your bike some plonker will pull out of a side road in front of you, that's why we are taught to ride defensively.

It is also a fact that even a lamp post can obscure a bike coming toward you from the right.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The other day on my way to work travelling to Worcester on the A44. I got to a notorious accident blackspot by the new barn conversions at Broadwas and found the most stupid thing going on.

About a mile or so back a couple of motor bikes past me, pulling wheelies as they accelerated upto at least twice the national speed limit. Then as I arrived at these sharp "S" bends at Broadwas, I found a couple of chaps lay down in the grass with vidieo camera's in hand, then I come upon the two bikers turning round in the road just after the last bend.

Yep by now you've guessed it. They were having "posey vidieo's" made to show off to their mates just how cool they are!!

May be a body on ice in the morgue would show them just how "cool" life gets when this sort of stupidity goes wrong on the public highway.

You see, by the speed they left me I would estimate they were cornering at around 90mph and would of been on the wrong side of the road going through the corner which would leave them blind to any on coming car.

This sort of "peg tapping " dropping the bike as low as possible stuff, should be reserved for track days at the local race track, not on the public highway only an hour or so before the school bus drop's children off in the same spot.

Now as I've said in a previous post, I do enjoy speed myself, but on a test track. And yes I can drive car's and motor bikes at in excess of 150Mph, but in the right place. I can beat any car or bike driven by joe public off the traffic lights when the green shows, even in my 1100cc Renault 5, as I have good reaction time to traffic lights, because thats one of the competative sports I did. (drag racing). But after the first 20mtrs I get left behind, as that is what it takes for me to reach 30mph in a 47Bhp car. ( see speed isn't the B all and end all for me)

Staying safe is though.

Steve.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The other day on my way to work travelling to Worcester on the A44. I got to a notorious accident blackspot by the new barn conversions at Broadwas and found the most stupid thing going on.

About a mile or so back a couple of motor bikes past me, pulling wheelies as they accelerated upto at least twice the national speed limit. Then as I arrived at these sharp "S" bends at Broadwas, I found a couple of chaps lay down in the grass with vidieo camera's in hand, then I come upon the two bikers turning round in the road just after the last bend.

Yep by now you've guessed it. They were having "posey vidieo's" made to show off to their mates just how cool they are!!

May be a body on ice in the morgue would show them just how "cool" life gets when this sort of stupidity goes wrong on the public highway.

You see, by the speed they left me I would estimate they were cornering at around 90mph and would of been on the wrong side of the road going through the corner which would leave them blind to any on coming car.

This sort of "peg tapping " dropping the bike as low as possible stuff, should be reserved for track days at the local race track, not on the public highway only an hour or so before the school bus drop's children off in the same spot.

Now as I've said in a previous post, I do enjoy speed myself, but on a test track. And yes I can drive car's and motor bikes at in excess of 150Mph, but in the right place. I can beat any car or bike driven by joe public off the traffic lights when the green shows, even in my 1100cc Renault 5, as I have good reaction time to traffic lights, because thats one of the competative sports I did. (drag racing). But after the first 20mtrs I get left behind, as that is what it takes for me to reach 30mph in a 47Bhp car. ( see speed isn't the B all and end all for me)

Staying safe is though.

Steve.
Steve.

This reminds me of something I saw some time back.

I was a passed by two guys on bikes as why was on BMW and on the speed limit. I noticed a car on the right before a roundabout

where the two guys had there knees on the ground and two other guys in Bike gear filming them as the picked the wheels off the ground and wheelied on the striaght of the roundabout. Less than hour later on my return journey I spot the same car and two guys by the side of the road as two bikes come towards me a high speed.

Longer tale, but I stopped and found these guys were in journalism doing work for some bike rag or tv show, they were rather evasive with there replies to my questions. The time of the day was earlymorning in good light before the comuter run.

Another contact explained that with high quality video it could have been used for magazine content to give good action shots!

What alerted me at first was the two new bike passing me and one that I recognised as a about to be released model.

Your concerns are quite right, but time of day for 4 guys out filming their "kicks" seems to be a little similar to what I witnessed!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
What kind of drag racing did you do Steve? I used to frequent the quarter mile events in some of my modified cars. Did a bit of hot hatch racing too.

TRENDING THREADS