look twice campaign

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
What about this campaign on telly urging us to look twice at junctions etc for motorbikes? The statistics are apparently that although bikes only make up 1% of road traffic they're involved in 17% of serious or fatal accidents. 50% of these are allegedly caused by drivers failing to see them. So this leads me to believe that 8 1/2% of serious or fatal road accidents are caused in some way by motorcyclists. I'm not saying all motorcyclists are irresponsible, but I can't actually recall the last time I saw a motorcyclist who didn't attract my attention by attempting some outrageous manouver, and I feel just a tiny bit miffed at being expected to think for them so that they can execute their manouvers safely. I'm still waiting for a campaign to stop them squeezing up beside me at the lights and waiting in my blind spot.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Craig not all motorcyclists are dangerous as not all car drivers are. I have been both for many years now however its getting that bad in terms of fatalities here in devon Ive decided to hang the helmet up for good (Waitnig for the good weather to sell bike ect) Ive seen some stupid manovers on bikes which make me cringe but at the same time ive seen some even more stupid manovers in cars. .

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
the remaining %age is caused largely by spilt fuel on the road, and can you guess who causes that?

As for squeezing up beside you? they are legally able to do so. Maybe your mirrors should be modified to remove the blind spot!

As for being miffed at having to think for them? you don't! you are supposed to think if your actions could cause an accident with a bike.

Nice try at a troll but find out the facts before you post!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Craig, Im a driver of motorcycle's cars and trucks and to be quite honest there are good and bad in all catagories.

Having had a serious bike accident and had to learn to walk again I guess I was a lucky one. (black ice and deceleration don't mix)

But what I see going on now on Sunday mornings is realy stupid.

The sunday motorcyclist's come out my way in there droves to take the A44 to Aberystwith and back, just because it is the number two road for the most curves per mile. I even see guys in hedge rows on certain twisty bits with vidieo camera's in hand to film their pals doing stupid speeds round the corners just to boost the ego for the need for speed.

In my home town every sunday is the same. from about 8am onwards all you can hear in the summer on a sunday is the wail of yet another ambulance dashing to yet another motorist who has driven to fast or carelessly.

I love speed like the next guy and have driven Lotus elise, Jag XJR, Aston Martin vanquish and DB9R just to name a few. But all were on the track and well away from the uk roads.

I must admit the first time I saw the look twice add it shocked me as it gave me a flshback to my accident, but it does make you think.

Steve.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Craig, your statistical interpretation doesn't make sense.

There are many reasons for motorcyclists receiving serious or fatal injuries. That 50% of these are caused by other drivers simply failing to see them is appalling. If just one cause outweighs or matches all the other causes, then something really must be done.

You're not being asked to think FOR them, you're being ask to SEE them, like you would a larger vehicle, and don't pull out in front of them.

Get off your soap-box, remember that we caravanners are the most hated group of all road users!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
http://ruiner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/howclose.mpg
Watch that and then tell me that you honestly think this campaign is a bad idea.

http://darrenbourne.co.uk/killspills/
Then read that and work out who is to blame for most of the accidents you say are the fault of the rider.

Then watch a friend of your loose a leg because a lorry driver could not be bothered to check his fuel cap. And then watch the idiot lorry driver turn up at the hospital to try and attack the your friend because the lorry driver is being done for neglect by the police and the bikers insurance company is sueing him.

Them just to add insult to injury, watch the lorry driver claim he is bankrupt and cannot pay compensaion (no he was not insured) that would alow your friend to buy a wheel chair, while he holidays in Florida and buys a new X5 BMW

Sort out your own house before trying to impose your stuck up selfish rules on others!

Sorry K you hit a nerve wit that one!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
" I feel just a tiny bit miffed at being expected to think for them"

Craig you are missing the point, do you really want a dead biker stuck in your drivers door? and also suffer injury to yourself and have to live with the consequences for the rest of your life, you are thinking for yourself as well as the biker.

Speaking as an ex biker this is a huge problem and have lost count of how many times a car has pulled out in front of me and have also lost family and friends to the careless car driver.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
..... so whether its the bikers fault or not they still have a high rate of accidents, that has to be agreed. Those accidents have a high level of deaths or debillitating injuries. This costs not just the riders a lot of suffering/pain if they survive, a loss of earnings and the nation millions in treatment for injuries, rehabilitation and disability benefits. Its a well known saying amongst bikers, "Its not will I have an accident on my bike but when will I have one? " On that score are motor cycles a good mode of transport or not?

Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
Craig,

Why do you have a problem with motorbikes getting to the front of the jam. If more people took motorbikes to work there wouldn`t be half the jams there are. I travel in on the M40/A40 each day. This journey would only take twenty minutes on a bike but takes an hour by car. Why ? because each car only has one person in and they sit there moaning about motorcyclists. I am a car driver but i`m envious of the motorcyclists and I don`t begrudged them at all getting to their destination a lot quicker. I have to use my vehicle for my job.

I used to ride a motorbike when I was younger, and everyday you could guarantee a car driver would pull out of a side road straight into your path without looking.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
..... so whether its the bikers fault or not they still have a high rate of accidents, that has to be agreed. Those accidents have a high level of deaths or debillitating injuries. This costs not just the riders a lot of suffering/pain if they survive, a loss of earnings and the nation millions in treatment for injuries, rehabilitation and disability benefits. Its a well known saying amongst bikers, "Its not will I have an accident on my bike but when will I have one? " On that score are motor cycles a good mode of transport or not?
LB, the figures are not that more accidents occur because people ride the bikes, those figures are the same in relation to many other forms of transport. The figures show that Bikers account for a large number of sevear and fatal injuries. The difference is that if a car pulls out on another car at 30mph there is a very little chance of any injury, do the same to a bike and the chance is massivly higher.

If the figures showed Biking to be anywhere near as dangeous as others want you to think then insurance for bikes would not be cost effective. my one car on full NCB with business costs me

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a bike rider, bike instructor, and car driver, I see the problems from a slightly different perspective.

I wish evryone had to progress to car driving through the bike route first, as there would be much less of the view that bikers are carying out what seem to be dangerous manoeuvers, to the non bike riding people on the roads.

Whilst it has always been an amusing joke, it is, however, true that Volvo and BMW drivers are by far the worst people for arrogant and selfish road use, and seem to view any other transport as being inferior, and MUST be overtaken at any cost.

The number of times when out on the road with trainess, all of us wearing Hi-Vis jackets, clearly marked with Instructor, and "Under Instruction", that cars decide to pass, when it is patently obvious they do not have the room or time to complete the action, and pull in to a space which just is not there, but do soanyway, and force a novice rider into a situation which they have limited ability to do anything about.

Bikers know that they have to ride very safely, as they WILL get hurt if involved in an accident, the severity depending onlots of other contributing factors, whereas car drivers acn come out of an accident with no injuries, thanks to the tub of metal surrounding them. There are NO crumple zones on a bike, only the riders body.

Taking advanced riding courses teaches the rider to do exactly what craig despises, make progress, which means going to the front of traffic queues, if safe to do so, as by the time a car driver has lifted his clutch, the bike is long gone, as it has much better acceleration from a standing start.

Bike riders are also taught to use the whole width of the carriageway, to get the best possible view of the road ahead, which can mean riding on the white line, or hugging the nearside to see down the side of a car in front.

Many accidents involving bikes are due to a variety of reasons, road surfaces, loose debris on roads, slippery manhole covers, slippery white road markings, spilt diesel, and in counrty areas, hedge cuttings which are like trying to ride on roller bearings.

There is not a day , when out on the bike that a situation occurs involving the bad road manners of a car driver, and poor indication, such as leaving a direction indicator flashing for anything up to 5 miles or more, with no intention of making any such turn.

I am all for freedom of choice, and education of riders to achieve the best out of their machines, safely, and locally , with enormous help from the Police, are reaching our target of getting all bikers to attend advanced training, with incentives through deals with insurance companies and other incentives.

How many drivers go on from the basic test and complete advanced driving courses. which would benefit not only themselves, but the wider road users.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Well said Damian and just to and just to reinforce your statement, a small shunt in a car can result in little injury due to crumple zones, air bags etc but a small shunt on a bike by design can be catastrophic

You'll probably receive a lot of flak on this topic Craig as quite a lot of caravanners are bikers or ex bikers.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
LB, the figures are not that more accidents occur because people ride the bikes, those figures are the same in relation to many other forms of transport. The figures show that Bikers account for a large number of sevear and fatal injuries. The difference is that if a car pulls out on another car at 30mph there is a very little chance of any injury, do the same to a bike and the chance is massivly higher.

If the figures showed Biking to be anywhere near as dangeous as others want you to think then insurance for bikes would not be cost effective. my one car on full NCB with business costs me

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you haven't ridden a bike it is hard to understand that with their power to weigh ratio some actions by bikers are not dangerous.

I ride and drive and I'm just pleased that the bikers are not another car clogging up the roads.

You get madmen on 2 and 4 wheels, just let the bikes go!

"their gonna get you" was the rule I was taught over thirty years ago when I started riding bikes.

When I get on my bikes all car and truck drivers are blind, stupid and out to get me. I tell guys I've instructed to assume that drivers are out to get them even they seem to be looking straight at you!

"well I thought he/she saw me" is not a lot of good when you are learning to walk again. Yeah, I've been there to, bought the T shirt and am paid up club member of the hit by car no fault on my part club.

One of my advanced pupils got hit by a car on a roundabout some years ago. Handlebars trapped through the smashed passenger door window, his arm and leg broken and the bikes horn blaring as he screamed at the driver to stop. As other motorists flashed and honked at the guy he stopped after going past 3 exits and travelling nearly a 1/2 mile drom the start of the incident.

As the guy screamed at him in anger and pain - " I never saw you, where did you come from and when?" as other drivers dragged him away from the innocent biker.

Keep your eyes open guys and gals!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Guys, to set the record straight my post was not an attempt to start an argument, there's been more than enough of that lately. I am not a biker, although I have had fun with bikes in the past. The main reason I have elected to give biking a miss is because I feel, as has been mentioned already, that it's not a matter of if you have an accident but more a case of when. Regardless of what you say Steve about pushing in at the lights being legal it is still dangerous, unneccessarily dangerous. It is this apparent disregard (by some bikers, not all) for other traffic which prompted my initial post. As you will probably know from my other posts I have no problem with speed, but almost every time I see a biker, he/she seems to be in a tearing rush and hoping that other traffic will make room for them. My friends with bikes tell me the same thing Cris says about cars being "out to get them", but I know from experience of being with them that when they feel the need for a thrill they forget about that. I'm really not sure that urging motorists to be constantly on the lookout for bikes is the answer, although admittedly in 50% of cases it is.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Craig, but it is more dangerous for the biker to sit in amonst all the other vehicles who don't notice him there than it is for them to move out of harms way at the front of the queue. You state that it is pushing in? why then are more and more lights being fitted with bike space at the front? No law is being broken and in fact ALL advanced training and normal licence training state that this is the best way. Please inform the authorities that you want it changed as I am sure they will throw out all the experts who made the rules and bring yours in. Afterall, you say it is dangerous so it must be so. Try taking some bike training and see how you feel about being surrounded by cars with their radios turned up, some wanting to change lanes without even a warning and ALL of then have no idea a bike is there because they never looked

Sorry but not all riders feel the need for a speed rush. that complete crap!

Yes urging motorists to be constantly on the lookout for bikes is the answer, that accounts for as you say 50% of all accidents to bikers.

I suppose when you see bikers along a country lane moving over the dotted line and back to the other side are riding dangerously too? Most peopple with no sense do. However you will find that the rider is evaluating the road and positioning for best view along a corner. even the cheepest of bikes will out accellerate the fastest of family saloons and this is what winds people like you up. They are faster off the lights and your 17 yr old attitude does not like that!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Only living 12 miles from steve in Leo I can verify what he says. Bikers I know use this A44 to Aberystwyth and talk about it after the weekends rides and the speeds they reached etc. The sad part of this is they were talking about it in the rest room at the Ambulance Station and these people are Paramedics.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Steve. Firstly, I would like to say I'm a touch saddened by the suggestion that I have no sense and have a 17 year old attitude. As I said I'm not a biker but I can assure you without going into details that you don't need that I am more than qualified and capable as a driver. I have no problem with a bike being quicker than a car. What I do have a problem with is pulling away from the lights and having a bike fly past me on the inside. If you say you're taught to do that then I'll take your word for it, although I'm still not sure how a bike wouldn't be more visible sitting directly behind me. I did not say that all bikers felt the need for a speed rush, and I don't think it's fair to claim that all cars drivers don't see them. Lastly, I know that there are lots of bikers on the roads who are superb riders but I'll say again, I'm not convinced it should be up to other road users to make room for the ones who aren't so superb. Safe riding mate.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Craig

Ok, my comments where made to force you to post what you just did, You are correct that not everyone should be tarred with the same brush. Not all bike riders are perfect and yes some are out there for the kicks.

However, being an advanced rider, I often come across comments that say I am being dangerous with moving across the lane, riding on the wrong side of the road and filtering, when what I am actually doing is a risk assessment to minimise and danger to me or other road users.

What the campaign is for is not to get car drivers too think for the bikers, its to get car drivers to think that there might be a bike here. The signs are put up on major bike routes and lets be honest, how many drivers think of looking for bikes when they pull out of a junction.

In France, kids can ride scooters at a much younger age, thus they grow up having a real sense of bikes around them, When you ride in France this is obvious as cars seem to know you are there without any kind of action by you. I wish this was true in the UK but its not.

At the lights a bike should only overtake cars from between the lanes or the right. If you are being overtaken from the left in a left hand lane then move over in the lane when you pull up at the lights. This will force the bike to your right and give both of you any easier time to spot any trouble.

Now, this is not common information but did you know that "making progress" is part of a bike test? If you join a carriageway or motorway and do not accelerate hard to the max limit you will be deemed as not making progress and marked down for it. This is also true of filtering, If you do not filter to the front when it is available you are again not making progress.

Sorry if the previous comment upset you, But I love the bikes and it saddens me to see that people do not understand what is safer for the biker. I have had an incident where a land rover changed lanes into the side of my bike and only missed me when (failing to hear my horn) I punched out his passenger window.

Safety is my main concern when riding, I ride with either one of my kids or my wife, a bad accident would devastate my family and this is more important than getting any kind of speed "fix". However, for many years I raced bikes so I am more than capable.

If you get a chance to be near Gloucester on the 1st or 2nd of April, pop into the race course and see what some of use do to encourage safe riding. Look for a stand called intaride and the silver bike is mine, I may be around to say hi to.

You don't have to like bikes, or agree with anything the campaign calls for but by discussing it here it has done its job. You will think about bikes more. But please remember that not all of us are out for speed, Most are doing the same as you and just trying to get to a destination in one piece.

Steve

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Without getting into speed or anything else, I have lost count of the times when car drivers have hastled me on lights and junctions when I'm innoently waiting for lights or traffc to clear.

Even my 30 year old Yamaha will leave most modern cars trailing behind it up to the legal limits from a set of lights. It is now becoming a classic, but some car drivers seem to see red mist if they are along side it or any other bike.

If the ads just open a few more drivers and bikers eyes and minds, the road will be better places.

Steve, answer me this. How rich would you be if you had a pound for every time a car driver stopped beside you started reving up the car to race you off the starting grid.

I've always avoided loud biking gear and learnt years ago to avoid confrontation when on a bike. But I would be pretty wealthy if those events were paid at a

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I have to admit I see it all the time. I wait intill the lights change and then pull away so that they stay in front of me as experience has shown me that if you pass them, you better have a long road or they will try their hardest to re pass making the situation very dangerous. If the road is open and I have the room, I will accelerate to the limit in less than 4 seconds and keep them well behind me, if it is a true idiot who wants "revenge" for being embarrassed and looks dangerous I will pull over at a garage and wait for them to go. A bike is too vulnerable to risk some idiot wanting to teach a lesson based on their ego.

However, I have been known to let a car with an idiot catch me up and keep them beside me at high speed. then at the last minute before a bend or some lights, reduce my speed at a vast rate. they soon lean that it is easy for me to kill off 60mph in 30 feet but they cannot match that. I am then well out of the way of danger and can watch their antics from a safe position.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
When I ride my new Hyabusa , I have to laugh when these idiots sit reving their engines. The Bike is capable of 145+ in under 10 seconds over a 1/4 mile top speed would probably be about 210 or so. Let em have their dreams say I as the thunder along the road.

I'm hoping to run it at a track day soon just for a bit of safe fun.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello again. Maybe the reason for my dubious first post was because I don't understand where the difficulty is in seeing bikes. I'm not claiming to be the world's best driver but I can honestly say I have never failed to see a bike coming, and for anyone who does it must surely be a failure to look rather than see. Unfortunately, Steve, there is no chance I can be near Gloucester at the start of April, if I was I'd probably come by.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
MKaybe next time Craig.

The peoblem with many drivers is that they do see bikes, just not all of them. Then the beleive that they always see bikes. This includes me as well as every other driver.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS