Looking at Renault Traffic series.

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
New to this so I need. Campervan about £5k so this appears to be 1993 era. Any advice on what to look for, petrol diesel, etc much appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi "HH," and welcome!
I think you're right that £5k will only get you a fairly old vehicle, but it could still be a good one. Our previous van, which we bought in 1999, was a 1989 Transit hi-top which someone had home-converted. Because the bodywork was a bit shabby we got it for £3500. We used it for holidays in France, Germany, Italy and Spain for the next 8 years, and still got £600 for it on Ebay!
Most British vans from that era will be petrol-engined. If you do find a diesel it won't be a turbo, so it'll be economical but not specially quick.
You say "campervan," and refer to Renault Traffic in your title, so I assume you're not looking at coachbuilt models (although Holdsworth did a Traffic coachbuilt around that period - not seen one for years though). Most of the Traffics of that age still alive are the Autosleeper conversion, which had a good reputation for workmanship inside.
However, since the Traffic was a small van, they rarely had "mod cons" like heaters, toilets, showers, ovens. But then neither did any of the VWs etc back then either!
Whatever you go for, as well as the usual things you'd check on a used car, you need to check that everything on the "habitation" side works as it should - especially since spares might not be easy to get hold of.
Keep us posted, and feel free to put any specific questions and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you!
BtW, since you're clearly genuine (in spite of the dubious username!) I've upgraded you so you don't have to "copy the captchas" anymore.

TRENDING THREADS