Looking for a site near Glasgow

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi, can anyone help me? We are planning to attend a wedding in Glasgow (west side of the city) on Thursday 5th August. We will be travelling over from Northern Ireland, and after the wedding we plan to go and spend some time with our daughter in Liverpool. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a suitable location ? I've had a look around but haven't really come up with anything! Ideally we'd like to be reasonably close to Glasgow, staying probably south of the city, so we can have easy access to our route south! But maybe this is asking too much!Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

C.Club Site "Craigie Gardens" in Ayr may suit, a short walk to the main line station for Glasgow.

Alternatively going east "Beecraigs Country Park" Linlithgow, again a main line station with frequent service to Glasgow.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Heather,

To the best of my knowledge there are not a lot of sites around Glasgow.

The nearest I know of is the site at Strathclyde Country Park which sits between Motherwell and Hamilton. Close to the M74 for vehicle access to Glasgow. Train and bus services available from both Motherwell and Abington.

There is another I've seen advertised at Abington, which is a bit further away from the city. Again good access to the M74 but no bus or train service.

I have no idea of the standard of either of these sites having never visited.

Robert

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Heather,

To the best of my knowledge there are not a lot of sites around Glasgow.

The nearest I know of is the site at Strathclyde Country Park which sits between Motherwell and Hamilton. Close to the M74 for vehicle access to Glasgow. Train and bus services available from both Motherwell and Abington.

There is another I've seen advertised at Abington, which is a bit further away from the city. Again good access to the M74 but no bus or train service.

I have no idea of the standard of either of these sites having never visited.

Robert
Oh for an edit facility!!! Should read bus and train services from Motherwell and Hamilton.....was getting ahead of myself.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Heather,

Are you a member of the Caravan Club?If so ,there are 2 CL's which might help you.One in Cumbernauld and the other at Milngavie.

Glasgow is very poorly served for caravan sites unfortunately.

Where is the wedding being held,to see if we can get you any closer?

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone - I do realise that there isn't much choice, so that's why I hoped someone would come up with a "hidden gem"! Any CL or CS sites seem to be north of Glasgow, and Largs which offers some sites is quite far south and west, but I don't think I'm going to find the perfect solution! I just know that the service is being held in a Baptist church in the West End of Glasgow, as I get more information, I'll put it out there! I think we really need to decide how long we want to spend in the area, as this will probably be the final decider! But thanks again!

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone - I do realise that there isn't much choice, so that's why I hoped someone would come up with a "hidden gem"! Any CL or CS sites seem to be north of Glasgow, and Largs which offers some sites is quite far south and west, but I don't think I'm going to find the perfect solution! I just know that the service is being held in a Baptist church in the West End of Glasgow, as I get more information, I'll put it out there! I think we really need to decide how long we want to spend in the area, as this will probably be the final decider! But thanks again!
The CL at Milngavie is the nearest to the West End, probably only about 20 mins travel in the car. Taxi would cost you a fair bit, but still cheaper then a hotel.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Heather,

The Milngavie CL will certainly suit you if the wedding is in the West End......we live minutes from the CL on the same road.

Parking in the West End can be difficult,but it is possible to get a train from Milngavie to Partick (approx 20mins )and then swap onto the interconnecting underground to Byres Road,or of course a taxi from Partick to the venue.

To get back on the motorway to go south is also easy from Milngavie.

If you ask the moderator to let you have my e-mail address,I amm happy to give you help.

Maureen

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Heather,

The Milngavie CL will certainly suit you if the wedding is in the West End......we live minutes from the CL on the same road.

Parking in the West End can be difficult,but it is possible to get a train from Milngavie to Partick (approx 20mins )and then swap onto the interconnecting underground to Byres Road,or of course a taxi from Partick to the venue.

To get back on the motorway to go south is also easy from Milngavie.

If you ask the moderator to let you have my e-mail address,I amm happy to give you help.

Maureen
Thank you Maureen, I'll be in touch!

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Lomond Woods here in Balloch.(I live in Balloch) 3 mins walk to the train station with a direct train to Glasgow approx 35 mins. Fab wee village on the shores of Loch Lomond. With every thing you could ever want.

Easy road links to Liverpool A82 then M8 south.

My step daughter stays in Liverpool and we use Formby Point caravan site. We always try to get a pitch under the trees. direct access onto the dunes and the beach beyond.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Lomond Woods here in Balloch.(I live in Balloch) 3 mins walk to the train station with a direct train to Glasgow approx 35 mins. Fab wee village on the shores of Loch Lomond. With every thing you could ever want.

Easy road links to Liverpool A82 then M8 south.

My step daughter stays in Liverpool and we use Formby Point caravan site. We always try to get a pitch under the trees. direct access onto the dunes and the beach beyond.
Cath,

Remember heather will be leaving a wedding reception ......possibly quite late at night and will have no public transport back to Balloch!!! A long walk with sore feet!!

Maureen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts