Looking for first caravan!

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi, we are currently looking for our first caravan but I need some help with the car and caravan choice!
We have a Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel!
Min kerb weight 1500kg
Max kerb weight 1639kg
Gross weight limit 2000kg
Max tow weight 1400kg
We are looking at viewing a swift challenger 520 4 berth with a miro of 1215kg
Mtplm of 1433,

So I know I can't fill the caravan fully (I have access of a weigh bridge at work to check)

Questions are is this ok to tow with most weight in car (awning/gas)

Also iv only held a license since 2005 so am I right I'll just be under the 3500kg?

Thanks mark

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
chubby66 said:
Hi, we are currently looking for our first caravan but I need some help with the car and caravan choice!
We have a Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel!
Min kerb weight 1500kg
Max kerb weight 1639kg
Gross weight limit 2000kg
Max tow weight 1400kg
We are looking at viewing a swift challenger 520 4 berth with a miro of 1215kg
Mtplm of 1433,

So I know I can't fill the caravan fully (I have access of a weigh bridge at work to check)

Questions are is this ok to tow with most weight in car (awning/gas)

Also iv only held a license since 2005 so am I right I'll just be under the 3500kg?

Thanks mark

Gas needs to be secure leave it in it's allocated space, most are in front locker area of the van.
Yes you are correct about licence

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would be reluctant to tow with this combination. Both major clubs and the NCC suggest that newcomers to towing should keep the laden weight of the caravan down to no more than 85% of the cars kerb weight and you cannot do this. The figure is advisory only and going just over it is not unreasonable you cannot get near this. The awning in the car would help but the clubs do not recommend carrying the gas bottles in the car for safety reasons and if you do they must be secured in the upright position or there is a risk of leakage.
I think the car will struggle at the weights you are looking at and I would look for something lighter to tow.
If you are looking for a caravan there is a lot of advice on the Caravan and Motorhome website that you might want to check out.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Someone will advise me I'm sure but if the car is plated as max towing weight is 1400kg and the mtplm of the van is 1433 would this not be rather frowned upon by anyone manning a vehicle checkpoint?

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Personally I would be reluctant to tow with this combination. Both major clubs and the NCC suggest that newcomers to towing should keep the laden weight of the caravan down to no more than 85% of the cars kerb weight and you cannot do this. The figure is advisory only and going just over it is not unreasonable you cannot get near this. The awning in the car would help but the clubs do not recommend carrying the gas bottles in the car for safety reasons and if you do they must be secured in the upright position or there is a risk of leakage.
I think the car will struggle at the weights you are looking at and I would look for something lighter to tow.
If you are looking for a caravan there is a lot of advice on the Caravan and Motorhome website that you might want to check out.

Would it not be possible to tow unladen to start with at around 85%? 85% of 1500 is 1275kg?

There is only 2 of us and small dog so we won't be needing much to carry,

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Someone will advise me I'm sure but if the car is plated as max towing weight is 1400kg and the mtplm of the van is 1433 would this not be rather frowned upon by anyone manning a vehicle checkpoint?

Is that no like saying u have a car that can go over 100mph so u shouldn't be aloud to drive on roads of 70mph?

I would always keep the weight below 1400kg??

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
chubby66 said:
Min kerb weight 1500kg
Max kerb weight 1639kg
(I have access of a weigh bridge at work to check)

Kerb weight for a given car is absolute, not max and min (the max and min is given for the range of equipment fits and trims across the range). Check what your V5C states for Mass In Running Order and check it against your weigh bridge at work. ;)

Edit - also known as Mass In Service

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
chubby66 said:

For everybody who has taken the trouble to weigh their loaded van they have been surprised as to how much overweight they were. Keeping to a lower weight probably means not loading the van at all, but with everything in the car then the car would probably be overweight.

As a new tugger please use the recommendation of MTPLM of van no more than 85% of car's kerb weight (if that's within the car's permissible max tow weight).

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
chubby66 said:
Martin24 said:

Is that no like saying u have a car that can go over 100mph so u shouldn't be aloud to drive on roads of 70mph?

Sorry for being a little more experienced and for trying to help. I know now not to bother.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:

Hello Martin,

I can understand your concern, and given the fact the regulations on loads and limits are complex, it is hardly surprising there may be uncertainty about the legal position by members of the general public and many (especially novice) caravanners.

The regulations that control this area of vehicle construction and use were not originally written with caravans or other private trailers in mind.
In fact caravans are not recognised by the regulations as a distinct subset, but are lumped together with all other types of counter balanced road trailers towed behind the tow vehicle.

Because the regulations were principally created and evolved to cover commercial vehicles, there are aspects of the them that often don't get discussed in caravanning circles, that does not mean they do not apply, but its more the case the caravan industry has correctly identified that some aspects of the regulations can be legitimately covered by a slightly simplified route. This can mean the full potential of those details may not be explored by the processes commonly adopted for caravanners.

It should be hoped that staff manning official vehicle stops and weighbridge stations should be proficient at understanding the vehicles weight and load regulations, and not just making guesses at how to apply the regulations.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
chubby66 said:
Raywood said:

Would it not be possible to tow unladen to start with at around 85%? 85% of 1500 is 1275kg?

There is only 2 of us and small dog so we won't be needing much to carry,

I doubt you have any real chance of getting the weight down that far. I am sorry but I do think you need to look for something a bit lighter as even the basic equipment plus bedding, clothes and some food would take you well over 1275kg. I feel that a lighter caravan would be a better bet rather than taking things to the limit.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
My advice, in plain terms, is to look at vans that are an 85% match with the tow car, especially if this is your first one. That's 85% at Max Technical Permissible Laden Mass, not running order.

There are plenty to look at, and surely there is one out there for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts