Looking to buy - why so many Hobby vans for sale

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Looking to buy a caravan for the 1st time - 2nd hand in the £7,000-£10,000, 4.5berth under 3 yrs old and towable by X-trail.

There is a preponderance of Hobby (1/2/3 yrs old all VERY BIG) and it seems very few other makes in my budget area of £7-£10K.

Why is this?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mainly Hobby's are bought by those who keep them on seasonal pitches Walter. They are also are associated with Irish tinkers so aren't welcomed on all sites.

Maybe there's so many of them because the tinkers are being housed, like all immigrants, before the indigenous population :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Large Hobby caravans above the 540 models are not considered to be tourers so ar VAT free.

Also those above the 540 models cannot be legally towed in the UK by any vehicle having a GVW of less than 3501kg.

Many of the larger ones are known as "dry vans" and do not have showers etc.

So, you can see why the large Hobby caravans tend to sell for less than the smaller ones.

My 540 was actually under

Jan 25, 2008
Visit site
I came across a 2005 hobby 560Ufe at a price way below the usual for that age and bought it without knowledge about the brand. What a big mistake!!

Found out it was illegal to tow and refused to use it. Obviously the guy who was selling it knew this and 'forgot' to say.

Couldnt get it traded in anywhere apart from a hobby dealership which also sold other brands. Had to buy brand new as they had nothing suitable second hand to trade against. All worked out well in the end as I made

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Very commendable, Richard, unlike the complete berk towing a MAMMOTH Hobby up the M6 last Saturday (way over 7ft 6in wide) with a little ancient Honda Accord.

Was obviously an idiot as he had no extension mirrors either so couldn`t see rearward beyond his elbows, thats if he ever bothered looking in them anyway.

No doubt he will continue on his own sweet way until he causes an accident,just hope that he involves no-one else but himself.

Wheres plod when you need them?

Certainly not on the M6 it would appear, can`t recall seeing one in over 200 miles, only a couple of token battenbergs.

May 13, 2008
Visit site
The police in certain areas are starting to take a great interest in the size of caravans and what is being used to tow them.

Illegal towing can result in fines and penalty points if said Constabulary perceives the outfit to be dangerous, which inveriably they will if the tow car isn't suitable for the caravan.

Stick to British vans (there's plenty to choose from)and avoid all these problems - simple really!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts