Lounge bedding

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Our first caravan is on order, so we are full of silly questions!!

Can someone advise if there is specific bedding that we should get for the seating that converts into a double bed, is it best to get a sleeping bag/is a mattress topper a good idea?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
VanNoobie said:
Hi

Can someone advise if there is specific bedding that we should get for the seating that converts into a double bed, is it best to get a sleeping bag/is a mattress topper a good idea?

We’ve always used sleeping bags but the rectangular type that if required can be opened up to make a duvet, or zipped together to make a double.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
VanNoobie said:
Hi

We used a sleeping bag for a number of years as it was carried over from our camping equipment. We try to replicate the same sleeping arrangement as at home, so we now use domestic bedding sets with a double duvet. (We have a fixed bed but would be the same for non-fixed) Depending on your own experience of sleeping in the lounge bed, you may benefit from a topper.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are no silly questions, only the ones that you should have asked but didn't. :)
For a converted double bed, what you have to remember is that whatever you use for bedding has to be stored when not in use.
Before we went fixed double and bought the lovely Jonic caravan bedding we used two king sized duvets, one below us to smooth out the bumps and one on top, with the pillows.
When not in use we could roll the duvets neatly to store in the under seat lockers ready to roll back onto the bed for the next time.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome VanNoobie :)

May I suggest that you use whatever you have around the house already, pillows, sheets, blankets, quilt, sleeping bags,old overcoats etc. :p

Try these out for first, it is what works for you that is important, take time to assess what you really need to make you comfortable, all too easy to go and buy things and find out later that you perhaps made the wrong choices.

I am blissfully happy with a down sleeping bag, whilst my wife loves her own particular blanket and covers etc., if we sleep either side of the lounge seats we use both, if we kip up together then my wife's choice over-rules all else :huh:

Anseo.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We use a mattress topper encased in a double duvet cover under, and a normal duvet over when we sleep on a made up lounge bed. The memory foam mattress topper smooths out the lumps and bumps and the duvet cover acts as a bottom sheet. Much easier than trying to get a fitted sheet on a made up lounge. You do need somewhere for day time storage though and mattress toppers are not small. ( We have managed to store it in an Elddis 302 wardrobe, but no room for clothes-use the lockers for these)
Btw we got a “panda” mattress topper from Costco for a good price.
However, I agree with Sir Anseo, try what you already have at home first before spending much money.
Mel

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Personally we have a pair of king size sleeping bags that zip together to form a double and a couple of standard pillos. Reversing the bench seat cushions and then covering with a quilted mattress cover. Friends have two king size duvets, either to use one as bottom and one as top in a double, or they are large enough to fold over and sleep between the top and bottom as two singles. That seems like a good idea if starting out as sleeping bags are a pain to launder while a couple of duvet covers dead easy!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
One query to the OP: is your van 2-berth or more? There is nothing that says you must sleep in a double bed (although those in a 2-berth can be huge.) We have had three 2-berth vans and have always slept as two singles. It has one very significant advantage - come the need for a leak at 2am there is no climbing or bad temper tantrums when you kick the other occupant in the process!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We use a mattress topper & two single duvets which are big enough to cover the both off us when our bed is made up , also good idea to use as a single if we want to use the seats at front as a single bed .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bedding is usually a very personal preference, and what suits one is not going to suit everyone else.

Anseo's comment makes a lot of sense as it's a no cost option, and it might be normal bedding suits your needs. Try it and see before spending out on things that might not be necessary

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Bedding comfort is very individual so what suits one of us might not suit another.
We have managed on the cushions with domestic bedding without problem, but others find it not good enough. It possibly depends on your own requirements and there could also be different levels of comfort between makes.
I would go along withe Anseo and try a short break with domestic bedding and see how it goes. If it is not right for you a mattress topper is probably the best bet, but do watch the size of the bed as caravan beds are not generally a standard size.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
We use a pair of Duvalays, as found the small gaps between cushions annoying. Memory foam topper with a duvet attached on two sides, so feels much more like a regular bedding set up than a sleeping bag. In the day they roll up and store in the lockers under the front lounge seats, in the evening you simply unroll them and they're ready to go. Very comfortable too, although they don't make a double so we have two singles.

Mar 13, 2019
Visit site
1x1" memory foam topper for each single bench plus a down sleeping bag and pillow each. The toppers and covers for them are available in caravan bench length and widths. I could never cope with the hassle of joining the beds together, let alone having no exit except via the foot if I needed to get up in the night.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lucellie said:
1x1" memory foam topper for each single bench plus a down sleeping bag and pillow each. The toppers and covers for them are available in caravan bench length and widths. I could never cope with the hassle of joining the beds together, let alone having no exit except via the foot if I needed to get up in the night.

That’s okay for the vertically challenged :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
otherclive said:
Lucellie said:

What you mean OC, is gorgeously petite.

Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
otherclive said:
Lucellie said:

What you mean OC, is gorgeously petite.

Mel

How eloquently put.
Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts