LUBRICATING AWNING RAIL

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I use

Awning Rail Lubricant (100ml)

This specially formulated non-greasy, non-marking, emulsion based silicon lubricant. Makes awnings much easier to thread.

A267

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
Hi Derek

I don't want to teach granny to suck eggs but a good tip given to me is to load the awning into the rail from the front of the van. This avoids having to pull it up vertically and round the right angle bend if you start at the back of the van. I found it makes a hell of a difference. If you don't have any problem with this OK accept my apologies! Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Derek

I agree with Peter about feeding it from the front. I have had 2 Isabella porches a 240 Universal and now I have a 360 Universal. The first one was very difficult to feed, I tried everything to lubricate it without much success. The new one the 360 is a piece of cake. I now lubricate the channel with either Awning Rail Lubricant (100ml)or Aquatex proofing spray.

If the van is newish look out for mastic in the awning rail as they don't come in one piece and where they are joined I found mastic inside the rail.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lolly (and others)

Yes, Candle grease, beeswax, or silicone spray.
Thanks for the reminder? we used to rub candle wax on the local parks slide so we could go faster...I won't say what mum's reaction was trying to get it off my shorts!!!..happy days

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Ok. sorry to throw a spanner in the works.

Firstly check that awning rail joints are free of snags and and mastic as mentioned and make sure the rail is clean, a good wash out with a hose or power washer followed by a few pull throughs with few knots on the end of a nylon cord.

And keep the Awning keder (the beading) clean.

The anodized rail should need no lubricant, lubricants can hold dirt and grime and cause the problems as dirt clings to the inside of the rail and the keder tape.

Dirt will scratch the annodized finish on the rails inner and the oxidization on the rail will make things get worse and worse.

If you have white powdery deposit where anodizing has been damaged, lightly sand away with coiled sand/production paper and coat area with a light laquer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts