Lucksall Caravan and Camping Site - Hereford

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Having recently vowed never to pitch within a 50 mile radius of a river due to the horrendous weather conditions of a fortnight ago, I rashly booked to stay on the above site in October! Traditionally, October has been boiling hot and very dry for the last few years so decided to take a chance. It looks a lovely site - anyone stayed there and can share their experiences? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i have been going there for over 12 years , if you are worried about floods , there is usually plenty of warning the opposite bank floods first , i havent been there for a few years because i have found cheaper alternatives , but the pitches are large , its only 15 mins to Hereford town centre , some nice pubs in the area for eating out , small super market within a mile , goods walks from the site , if you like fishing , you can buy a day ticket for a fiver and experience some of the best river fishing , i have caught Barbel to 13lb , chub to 7lb , there are also carp trout and Salmon present , or you can hire a canadian type canoe for a day canoeing along the river , be careful if you have children the river banks are steep and can be slippery after flooding , hope you enjoy

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It's only three miles down the road from me. If there's any particular info you need to know just ask. As for the weather I will try and book the same time as you are at Lucksall because whenever we go away and get crap weather it's lovely at home
smiley-frown.gif

A few years ago we were at Lucksall for three months because my daughter and her tribe were between houses so were living in our bungalow. When it came time to leave I didn't want to go but had to because they close at the end of November. We moved on to a local CL then for a month.
Lovely site and if your better half fishes you ought to ask for a riverside pitch.
As for the river flooding don't worry about it. The Wye is a spate river and you'll be down at Chepstow, sailing your van, before you know it. Just be careful of Symonds Yat rapids though.
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the great comments. OH mentioned taking me up the river in a canoe ... I don't think so, he is the biggest joker this side of Freddie Starr and I really don't trust him! It sounds a wonderful area, not been to Herefordshire at all as far as I am aware but covered BBC Hereford and Worcestershire Radio for 3 years working from home so the name places will all seem really familiar. The weather should be good LB as you say, whenever you stay at home it's lovely - so stay at home that weekend just to make sure please
smiley-wink.gif
Lisa

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
We have been there a few times over the past couple of years and have enjoyed the site very much. Its quite imacculate-you could eat lunch off the tarmac! Don't think sites get any better than this.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
because my daughter and her tribe were between houses so were living in our bungalow. When it came time to leave I didn't want to go but had to because they close at the end of November. We moved on to a local CL then for a month.
smiley-laughing.gif
Times must be very hard, first Lord B moves out of his stately home to a bungalow, then to a caravan
smiley-laughing.gif

But as they say
'Home is where the heart is' and 'An Englishman's home is his castle'.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Woodlands Camper said:
Lord Braykewynde said:
because my daughter and her tribe were between houses so were living in our bungalow. When it came time to leave I didn't want to go but had to because they close at the end of November. We moved on to a local CL then for a month.
smiley-laughing.gif
Times must be very hard, first Lord B moves out of his stately home to a bungalow, then to a caravan
smiley-laughing.gif

But as they say
'Home is where the heart is' and 'An Englishman's home is his castle'.

The bungalow was alongside the Screwham Hall walled garden, next to the lake. This was our abode whilst the artesans were replacing the lead on the Hall roof after it was stolen by the peasants
smiley-frown.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all - just returned from our weekend at Lucksall. Loved it! The site is immaculate and the river behaved itself. The weather was lovely enough to sit outside for most of the day and we are returning in November with our neighbours and their dog. We are going to try the Bunch of Carrots Pub about 2 miles left out of campsite. Anyone eaten there? Thanks.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Bit of a long shot here - question for Lord B who lives 3 miles from this site. Lord B we stayed there this weekend and had a great time walking in the woods opposite the site (about half mile up the road, cross over and go through the gate which says private woods). Do you know of the local history around these woods only I took some pics yesterday morning of the view and in the woods as we were walking with our neighbours and their dog. When I got home, one of the photos had a peculiar white mist on it and you can clearly see a skull like face! Spooky. This morning, I printed off the pic and turned it upside down and the skull like face now clearly resembles a young child! Seriously spooked out now. Previous and subsequent pics are clear as a bell. Know anything????

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Come on then Lisa, spill! Let's have a shufti at the spooky picture so that we can all be scared to go walking in the woods at Lucksall
smiley-surprised.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
smiley-smile.gif
Parksy you sure can but I cannot for the life of me get the hang of uploading pics onto here even following instructions that were given. Is there an email address I can send it to you on and then you can upload it for me?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lisa, just come back in and I've got your email, thanks, so here are the pictures:

014-2_zpsa7b9d523.jpg

015-1_zpsd0d66c1a.jpg

047-1_zpsebd2d9b4.jpg

I see what you meant about the 'face', I can 'see' several faces even without turning the first picture upside down. Of course mist patches in woodland are very common indeed, and modern digital camera technology means that fairly detailed images which would only have been possible on very expensive top of the range film cameras back in the day are now within everybody's capabilities.
Our brain tends to re-arrange random shapes into images which are familiar to us, it's easy to make out 'faces' in pictures of trees, mist, anything really. Only this morning the face of the Virgin Mary appeared amongst my cornflakes at breakfast time, and I've noticed Jesus Christ lots of times looking back at me from pieces of toast
smiley-laughing.gif
. Joking apart, digital technology uses light in such a way that there are often 'hidden images', the concept of 'orbs' that you mentioned in your email and which can be seen inside your awning (nice awning b.t.w.) has only been spoken about widely since the common availability of digital cameras has been widespread. No one ever heard of 'orbs' before digital cameras and there were no photo's of them. Really the 'orbs' are small airborne specks of dust which reflect a camera flash in such a way that the reflected light is enchanced by digital cameras. Derek Ancona has a lot to answer for!
I can't really see any camera effects in the second (middle) photograph but if you sort of stare without focusing at the leaves on the ground around your hubby I guarantee that you will begin to see 'faces'.
We used to see 'faces in the firelight' as kids when we'd sit at home in front of a roaring fire inside a dimly lit room. Singed my eyebrows a few times trying to recognise somebody
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Parksy, thanks ever so for putting these on
smiley-smile.gif
I have since looked up Haugh Woods, Mordiford which is I believe, where we were walking and they are 'haunted'. I will look into this more when at home later on as there are some videos etc. on Youtube. The second pic of my OH was just to show that a split second later, there was no such mist on the photograph ... strange as I can clearly remember taking these photos and not seeing so much as a swirl of mist. Would like others thoughts on the photo with the mist please and what they can see ...
As for the orb in the awning, not sure if it is an orb as you say, may well be dust! That was taken at Tredegar in half term week, 2 weeks ago. That's our porch awning that our lovely neighbours gave us and the bunting is mine! As are the fairy lights and the red carnations, the red gingham tablecloths etc. ... you see it all has to match lol. I am now looking into bunting made from oil cloth which can decorate the awning outside in all weathers ... much to my husbands despair as he says it now takes him three times longer to set up all my bits and bobs etc. Well, I like to make the van home from home, so he'll have to put up with it lol!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
soldlisa04 said:
The second pic of my OH was just to show that a split second later, there was no such mist on the photograph ... strange as I can clearly remember taking these photos and not seeing so much as a swirl of mist. Would like others thoughts on the photo with the mist please and what they can see ...
Crikey!!! Definitely haunted Lisa, I could have sworn that I saw a female figure in front of your husband a split second before the second pic was taken!!!!
The act of walking through the mist would have disturbed it though
smiley-wink.gif

I like the matching awning stuff, hope my 0/H doesn't get any ideas though! I wish that this 'ghostly' thread had been on the General message board so that more people could tell us what they think and let us know if they ever encounter ghosts on their travels.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There! The thread has been teleported over to the General message board with an ectoplasmic echo left behind for those who inhabit the UK Parks & Touring board.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you look carefully you can see several 'orbs' in the photo inside the awning - there are two on the empty chairback to the right of the picture.
Having said that, I would never 'knock' anyone who saw ghosts. My sons and I saw them in our old house, and my French Lodger, Lisianne, wouldn't look in a mirror in the hall as she saw a 'ghost' looking back at her. Neither of them knew the other had seen anything!

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
OMG Val you're right! I didn't notice those. This was taken during half term at Tredegar House CC site. I've always been a fan of the supernatural, Most Haunted etc. but I must say that the white mist on my pic from Sunday morning has really given me the heebie geebies!
smiley-surprised.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts