Lucky or what

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have seen it happen, luckily for me it was in my rear mirror. The wheels are big and heavy, but at least it was not off a truck.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
I see that it’s now brought out the howling anti caravan Twittering masses.

There was a reply to the tweet,which I was going to share, seemingly by a trucker as an example of the point you raised, moaning that there are no mandatory checks/regulations for caravans when compared to trucks. The writer's racist profile put me off.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
I see that it’s now brought out the howling anti caravan Twittering masses.

There was a reply to the tweet,which I was going to share, seemingly by a trucker as an example of the point you raised, moaning that there are no mandatory checks/regulations for caravans when compared to trucks. The writer's racist profile put me off.

I noticed that as well, I have had a front wheel come away from the car years ago, all four bolts still there, but the wheel had gone, maybe a previous wheel / kerb bump.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Pity it is on Twitter but I gather a wheel came off a caravan? Perhaps it would have been better if there was a link to a newspaper article rather than Twitter as not every one joins Twitter or Facebook. ;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day a wheel coming off a a caravan is no more likely than any other vehicle so anti caravan statements are irrelevant. The basic problem is EU legislation which prevents the use of a left hand thread on one side. If this was done then the wheel nuts would not become loose with the rotation of the wheels and hundreds of accidents could be avoided.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
At the end of the day a wheel coming off a a caravan is no more likely than any other vehicle so anti caravan statements are irrelevant. The basic problem is EU legislation which prevents the use of a left hand thread on one side. If this was done then the wheel nuts would not become loose with the rotation of the wheels and hundreds of accidents could be avoided.

I cannot recollect the UK having different rotation nuts for each side of my cars prior to us joining the Common Market. Was that just for lorries and buses then?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:

I don't agree with you there, the nuts/ bolts vibrate loose due to vibration , not rotation, according to my engineering training.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood, I did Google Left hand threads on wheels and was surprised to find out Many cars had left hand thread on off side wheels. Afa Romeros, Bentlys and even Transit vans. . Obviously they decided even through cost or sense that there was a reason to go to Right hand threads.
Look at the dynamics of it.
I just dont want to loose another car wheel. Frightening.
Safe touring all.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was always told left hand threads were illegal, but if not they should be adopted for the offside and could save lives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts