Lunar Clubman SE or Swift Challenger With Island Bed

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
We are thinking about changing our caravan as our AbbeyGTS 418 fixed bed is now coming up to 3yrs old. We looked at the Lunar Clubman SE at the Glasgow show and found the front seats to be six inches and three inches shorter than our abbey but the rest of the van was excellent. We then looked at a swift challenger with an Island bed at Catterick caravans and this looked very good apart from the bed only being 6' 2" x 4' 4" we would love to hear from any one with either of these vans or something similar. There is only the two of us plus two dogs so we need floor space but want the comfort of the fixed bed.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,

we have ordered the clubman se,we found it to be one of the best vans wev'e seen up to now,for both price and build quality.yes a compromise is needed as far as the seating is concerned,but we feel it weas a compromise worth making,as the rest of the van was perfect we thought

Sep 11, 2007
Visit site
We started caravanning in 2007 with a used 2 berth Europa but found,although there are only 2 of us and 2 dogs, we needed a bigger van but still wanted a good sized bathroom. After many hours of deliberation and restricting the weight to a max MTPLM of 1500kg(due to towing vehicle) we decided the Lunar Clubman offered the best value. Sadly although ordered in November we will have to wait until April (hopefully) for delivery due to the very high demand for the Clubman range.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l am not surprised their is a long waiting list for the Lunar Clubman SE, we saw it at the Manchester Show couple of weeks back, best van on show by a long way.

Her in doors would have bought it there and then only for me holding the checkbook.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We started caravanning in 2007 with a used 2 berth Europa but found,although there are only 2 of us and 2 dogs, we needed a bigger van but still wanted a good sized bathroom. After many hours of deliberation and restricting the weight to a max MTPLM of 1500kg(due to towing vehicle) we decided the Lunar Clubman offered the best value. Sadly although ordered in November we will have to wait until April (hopefully) for delivery due to the very high demand for the Clubman range.
hi, we ordered ours in september 2009,given date of delivery in november,this was put back to december.it was then changed again to january 2010,then again to mid february.at the finish i contacted lunar,they said they had had a lot of orders for most of their range,the clubman especially was heavily ordered.was told from another source that their order book for this caravan was at busting point,and that they would be stuggling to fullfill their orders this season for this van.was also told by lunar that my van was been built in february.....lets hope so.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Robin,

Having had the same problem, we decided that the much larger bathroom in the Challenger 570 better suited our needs. We also liked the modern understated interior of the Challenger and the fact that the cupboard doors had locks that locked properly and did not have dust gathering frames to them. However I think both vans offer similar qualities and you need to have more than one look at them both, before making your decision. Please bear in mind deliveries are extended at the present time, we ordered in December and will not take delivery until May.

Good luck in making your decision, only time will tell if we got it correct.

Best regards,

George

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm quite interested in the Lunar SE as well. I like the idea of more kitchen cupboards than often with this layout due to the Alde heating. However does anyone know how quick a caravan warms up with wet heating? Also what is the hot water system and if not Truma, how does it compare in terms of hot water quantity?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't touch another Lunar with a barge pole - not even anyone else's! We got lumbered with a new (2009) Lexon SE last June, and after initially rejecting it for appalling construction, it's been back to the Dealers twice, and the Factory three times. It's there at the moment having two leaks attended to. Sadly their reputation lives on.

They are light for a reason.

I can't wait to get rid. The only problem is the loss that we'll take on it. Previously had five Abbeys, and whilst none was totally trouble free, not one can compare with this thing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi, we ordered ours in september 2009,given date of delivery in november,this was put back to december.it was then changed again to january 2010,then again to mid february.at the finish i contacted lunar,they said they had had a lot of orders for most of their range,the clubman especially was heavily ordered.was told from another source that their order book for this caravan was at busting point,and that they would be stuggling to fullfill their orders this season for this van.was also told by lunar that my van was been built in february.....lets hope so.
its here, its arrived at long last.picking up friday from dealers whoooooopppppeeeeeee. lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi nigel,

yeah will do,if it performs as well as it looks it will be superb.really looking forward to first venture,and hope its trouble free lol

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we looked at the swift challenger 570, but when we saw the same layout in the sterling eccles ruby we went for the sterling it has much nicer wood and worktop more bright and airey.

Steve

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I should have used "assembly" rather than "construction". When we went to collect the new Lunar, the trim around the Heki over the bed was hanging off, T-trim along numerous shelves looked as though it had been cut with a knofe and fork (and badly at that), amongst other things. All reletively minor I accept, but not a good impression of an expensive purchase. I did not part with any money at that stage. It could be argued that the Dealer should have sorted this during the PDI, and I agree, although I did see the 'van pretty much as it was delivered.

The caravan was rectified, but after taking delivery, the problem list has continued to grow and grow. The final straw was seeing a damp patch on the wall underneath the bed window. Lunar apparently have replaced and re-sealed the window rubber. At the same time, water was dripping into a ceiling light in front of the Heki in the lounge area. Although Lunar have not been able to find where this water is getting in, they've resealed the Heki.

I did ask for our old 'van to be returned to us, but sadly it was sold within a week of us leaving it with the Dealer.

It is supposed to be being delivered back to us tomorrow evening, so we'll have to see. Unfortunately, it is likely to be used for growing tomatoes this year as we cannot afford to change it just yet, so are well and truly lumbered.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I should have used "assembly" rather than "construction". When we went to collect the new Lunar, the trim around the Heki over the bed was hanging off, T-trim along numerous shelves looked as though it had been cut with a knofe and fork (and badly at that), amongst other things. All reletively minor I accept, but not a good impression of an expensive purchase. I did not part with any money at that stage. It could be argued that the Dealer should have sorted this during the PDI, and I agree, although I did see the 'van pretty much as it was delivered.

The caravan was rectified, but after taking delivery, the problem list has continued to grow and grow. The final straw was seeing a damp patch on the wall underneath the bed window. Lunar apparently have replaced and re-sealed the window rubber. At the same time, water was dripping into a ceiling light in front of the Heki in the lounge area. Although Lunar have not been able to find where this water is getting in, they've resealed the Heki.

I did ask for our old 'van to be returned to us, but sadly it was sold within a week of us leaving it with the Dealer.

It is supposed to be being delivered back to us tomorrow evening, so we'll have to see. Unfortunately, it is likely to be used for growing tomatoes this year as we cannot afford to change it just yet, so are well and truly lumbered.
Hi I am going to the caravan show in Birmingham on Tuesday and was very keen on the Lunar so far but would be happy to hear what everyone thinks I need a fixed bed twin axel with an end bathroom any info would be grt.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Nigel

Sorry about your bad luck, Lunar is now another caravan of my list.

I think i'll be holding on to my senator for a couple more years, or at lest till i'm convinced the altech? is proven.

With all the problems that come with new caravans, it amazes me that many people change them every three years.

It usually takes me that long to get them to our spec. Unfortunately with the bailey i am on my third fridge element, which i find very annoying, so much for domitec. While the company they took over electrolux gave me 7 years service on the old van with out once failing.

We are constantly being over charged for what basically is a sub standard product.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Ray,

I couldn't agree more with you. Obviously now I wish that we'd kept our five year old Abbey. Like yours, it had been thoroughly sorted, and with the damage resistent GRP sides....... We decided to change to the fixed bed caravan as we are very fortunate (for workers!) in that we make our main holiday at least three weeks long, and making up the bed in the Abbey was getting a bit tedious.

As usual we did things back to front. We viewed the Bailey, Lunar and Swift versions at the NEC last year. Sadly the Bailey didn't tick our boxes (personal choice), the Swift was too heavy for our car (Rover 75 CDT Estate), and the Lunar looked just right to us in most respects. Before the caravan arrived, we changed the car! I could now tow any caravan. Typical!

One of the many problems on the Lunar was the fridge (Dometic) control pannel detaching itself. It's about time that the whole industry (including parts suppliers in Germany!) had a good kick up the backside. I've always tried to support British industry one way or another, but get no thanks for it. Dare I say it, "the sooner the Japanese get in on the act......"

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just because someone has a rotten apple doesn't mean they are all bad.

One of my mates has a Bailey Pageant S5 Vendee. He had a new front last year because of cracks.Otherwise no problems.

My other mate has a Lunar Clubman which I have to say is well put together and very comfortable.His problems arose from third party equipment which is fitted in most makes.

If the manufacturers had the guts to publish the faults fixed under warranty I suspect we may be pleasantly surprised that the perceived problems are not in truth that great.Indeed we could then differentiate between manufacturers issues and those of third party equipment eg fridges etc.

Then there are people like me who find it quicker and easier to fix minor faults themselves to avoid the bother of going to the dealer.

If I took account of all the problems listed on here I'd never again buy British.I'd Spend a fortune on a European and probably live to regret it in the long run.

My best advice to Robin is that both Lunar and Swift are reasonable makes but just be absolutely certain you purchase from a decent well respected dealer.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog,

It doesn't matter how good the dealer is if the product is a lemon. I agree, many minor faults can be easily rectified, but first of all there shouldn't be any problems, and secondly, the dealers/manufacturers should be bombarded with all the problems. That way they might get their act together and give us a decent product.

The British problem is that we put up with things, probably when we shouldn't. The caravan industry is a quaint little thing, where most of the people who put the things together on the production line are paid on productivety (I know that is fact for our largest manufacturer and have no reason to think other manufacturers are different). Where's the incentive to do things properly there?

If your car was as unreliable or had things dropping off it every time you used it, would you still be singing its praises?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

"It doesn't matter how good the dealer is if the product is a lemon."

I know of some excellent dealers who faced with a "lemon" will gladly turn the clocks back and let the customer start again.

I agree there is always the danger that a lemon will come off the line because the temporary staff employed are no longer the time served craftsmen but just assembly line workers. I too have seen the vids of the works both in the West and north east! maybe this is how they keep prices down?

Thus I ask again as I have on many occassions exactly what QC & QA takes place at the makers and indeed the PDI at the dealer??

No matter how you finance your purchase try and do the final payment by credit card for added protection.

I do agree it is a sad day that "lemoms" still come out of ALL the manufacturers factories.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
My xtrail now over a year old, hasn't had a "real" fault, ok it's only done 7K miles, but that's probably more than my caravan, a 2004 model.

i have just had a M1 service at a main dealer for

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

Strange all the things that have broken for you are of third party manufacture NOT the caravan manufacturer.

My biggest gripe with the Bailey is the rubbish Hartel Door lock due to changed again in April. I admit the two beige plastic seat supports broke. All they needed was reinforcing with some 2x1 timber to reduce the flexion. Dealer gave me the new parts which I fitted myself.

As for ABS panels I think you will find Bailey aren't the only one with this problem.

Some say the panels don't do the job , others say they get stressed incorrectly at time of assembly. I agree it is not a good advert for any maker. Hopefully with 4 years to go on my Wyoming any cracks will manifest themselves before the warranty expires.

I still maintain the makes QA & QC could eradicate the points you raise. It is untenable to spend

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dusty

I didn't list all the faults, its quite a long list, as it was with the swift challenger, and to a lesser extent the avondale chiltern.

I cant recall all the bailey problems, with the other two new vans i actually recorded a list, with the bailey i haven't. Below is a short list that i can recall.

1/ On its third power supply, sorted year one.

2/ shower doors bowed, replaced.

3/ status ariel replaced.

4/ vent fan lifter repaired

5/ sun roof blind runners cheap plastic disintegrated.

6/ base unit strengthen with more wood, like you?

7/ on its third sub pump.

8/ water leaking into battery locker.

9/bathroom door catching on ceiling.

10/ bathroom door catch repaired.

11/ carpet replaced,(something spilt during PID

12/ awning light not working

13/ stable door catch repaired x2.

14/ chest of drawers raised to allow lats to drop.

15/ obviously the fridge is the outstanding irritant, because you don't immediately notice its faulty, we now have a thermometer inside.

a few other things that aren't worth mentioning.

Also i know bailey aren't alone with the cracked panels, and yes most of the problems are third party rubbish, but as with a car, if cra$p wasn't fitted, then parts wouldn't fail so quickly, i recon we have only lived in the van for a max of 40 weeks.

TRENDING THREADS