Lunar Delta 640 EW 2004MY

Hi

Has any one else had problems with the above caravan. I have had this one for 7 months and the front panel has cracked very badly. My dealer has repaired the cracks once but they have now reappeared. The manufacturer now wants to change the complete front but i am apprehensive - has any one had an experience like this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know someone who has ! The problem I believe was something to do with the way the front panel is bolted to the A- frame which leaves no flexibility and hence it cracks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to read of the problem with thr GRP panel. Assuming you have not abused the caravan, then the failure must be down to poor design, poor materials or bad workmanship, and therfore is not fit for purpose. The fact that you allowed a repair has diminished your rights under sale of goods, but as the repair has now failed in the same way, I suggest you accept the manufactures offer, but do make sure you get a full written indemnity for future failuress of this part and for any consequential deterioration of connected parts resulting from the failure of the panel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although you have had the caravan repaired once, the fault has reoccured and being a new van you can reject the van under the Sale of Goods Act whereby the van is not of merchantable quality. Your fight in this matter is with the dealer and not the manufacturer as you entered into the contract with the dealer. If you have bought the van on HP you are not the owner and you could therefore refuse to pay any further installments and let the HP company fight the dealer for a total refund. I appreciate it is a hard decision to make and that you bought the van for pure pleasure and enjoyment and not the hassle you have ended up with. However you must stand firm and reject the van and either have a total refund and buy something different or accept a new van on the hope that the problem was peculiar to that rogue van. Do not have it repaired again. Have a word with Citizen's Advice or a solicitor. Good luck with your decision.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darryl, Seeing over the Lunar Works recently as far as we could see the Quality Control consisted of some rather tatty notices asking the workers to work well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although Colin is right in mkost aspects, under no circumstances should you refuse to pay installemnt as this may end up on your credit record whether you are right or wrong. I too am a bit disappointed with the quality of Lunar goods as sometimes it appears that have just thrown the lot together and not bothered to check the finished product. Insist on a replacement van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darryl, as others have said be very careful about accepting these repairs. I've had two Lunar Delta's in the past. I purchased a '92 model in 1993, had it serviced annually & repaired for damp in 1999. When I tried to sell it in 2000, 3 dealers wouldn't touch it due to the extensive damp problems forcing me to virtually give it away for a quarter of its value to a dealer who was prepared to do it up and sell it on. I'd never buy another one. Ask for a refund/exchange 'van & put everything in writing. Good luck!

I too have a lunar delta 640 ew 2002 and the same thing happened it had lots of cracks over the aframe. My dealer sent out lamplas who said the problem was with the aframe being bolted to the chassis therefore there was no flexibility causing it too crack, but my dealer said this was rubbish and since then my dealer has looked at it and fitted a new front and the same thing has happened again. I do not know what to do now unless I go back to the manufacturer. Has anyone got any ideas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darryl

Since my recent reply I've bumped into an old friend who had this problem. His was traced to chassis distortion being bolted down too hard onto the transport lorry works-dealer. After 3 bad happenings he swapped 'vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It would seem that many owners are having the same problem with the Lunar caravan front ends. The repeated failure of the original product and of subsquent repairs strongly suggests that the is design fault. Your legal route for satisfaction is back to the company or dealer that supplied it to you, the manufacture is not obliged to help you directly. For people with Finance, contact your loan company, and ask them to advise. I think that with the increasing numbers of complaints in the public domain, dealers will be forced to act reasonably. Clearly the repairs recorded on this site are unsatisfactory, and it would be unwise to accept any offer for repair, better to hold out for full refund.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have a problem with a product do not accpt a replacement - demand a full refund. If you still want the product then buy again. Let us assume you have had the caravan (or any other product) for 6 months and assume that it has 12 months warranty (yes I know liability remains for 6 years). Taking a replacement would mean that the original warranty is still in place and therefore the replacement will only have the remaining months warranty with it. Take a refund and purchase again and you have a full 12 months warranty as this is a new purchase.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
And to think we were within a hair's breath of purchasing one!

We have the Lunar CS and that is giving us plenty of annoying problems with little faults because someone never bothered to check the van after they assembled it.

The latest is the flap or glass work are over the sink. It will not stay up which makes washing dishes difficult. Dealer recommended that we fit a catch to hold it up!

On a new 2004 van that costs nearly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would really appreciate your help if you own or know someone who owns a Lunar Clubman. I am particularly interested in the 2002 475CK and would ask anyone who has one to see how many fingers you can get between the tyre surface and the wheel arch. When, at 18 months of age, there was no longer sufficient room to achieve one finger or a wheel lock for that matter, I was convinced that there was a problem with the suspension. I had already had lots of niggling problems, some caused by shoddy workmanship with wrong parts being fitted. Fuses blowing, lights melting etc so after my dealer had failed to do anything to repair my van after 2 months in their yard I contacted Lunar direct. I was persuaded to accept new, bigger, wheel boxes to rectify the problems. Sure the gap was restored .. for a while, but the problem was still there and after a few months I had to return to the dealer. They took a couple of digital pictures and said they would send them away to be looked at but as I had heard this last winter I decided to take my van elsewhere. The suspension was at fault as I had originally suspected so it was sent back to AL-Ko to be reworked and I now have my van back. It's only 33 months old and has spent 6 months in dealers yards.Al-Ko were very helpful as were Harringtons who fixed it. I still haven't heard from the dealer who sold me the van, their aftersales care is dreadful. I had my van serviced there after the wheel boxes were replaced and have a service certificate to say the suspension was fine. I have written to Lunar via e mail but my request for their comments has been ignored.

So I am building a case, I have checked a couple of identical vans that I have found on dealers forecourts and they have a similar problem. I would love to hear anyone else out there share the same information.

In my opinion the weight of the van over the offside axle is much greater than the nearside even before it has been loaded. My previous van was also a Lunar Clubman 475Ck but that was a 1995 model and the payload was greater. Unwittingly I just transferred all my gear from old van to new and possibly you could say I am to blame even though when I weighed the van with the contents I was within the maximum payload limits. However, the design of the van has water heater, battery,battery charger,table,fridge,cooker and heavy shower unit all down one side. Add to that a potential 17 kg in water in both the toilet and hot water tank, the fact that you use the space provided for crockery and cookware and obviously store food and drink in the fridge. Hey presto problems.

So, if you have a similar situation, please let me know.I personally don't believe I will be compensated for my problems and expense but at least others can judge the situation for themselves and ask the necessary questions when considering their next purchase whether it be new or second hand.

I have only ever been able to afford the luxury of one brand new van, I hope that you experience is not as bitter as mine !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts