Lunar (ultima) quasar

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking to get a 4 berth 2018 lunar

Anybody have one?
Are they ok anything to look out for when buying
Lunar have gone into administration and are no longer operational. Some spares specific to Lunar i.e. wall boards may not be available. However contradictory to the previous statement most spares are common as used across many brands.

Biggest issue to check is damp and you will need a damp meter or get a professional to check before purchase if buying privately. If buying from a dealership, which is a lot safer, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 offers a lot of protection if things go wrong.

Aug 24, 2024
Visit site
Lunar have gone into administration and are no longer operational. Some spares specific to Lunar i.e. wall boards may not be available. However contradictory to the previous statement most spares are common as used across many brands.

Biggest issue to check is damp and you will need a damp meter or get a professional to check before purchase if buying privately. If buying from a dealership, which is a lot safer, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 offers a lot of protection if things go wrong.
Thanks for the reply.
Are lunar more prone to damp than others?

I've attached a picture of a damp report. Is this van a waste of time or would it be repairable?

1000019847.jpg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It appears to have an issue around the locker under the fixed bed - probably a leaky lower skirt rail - my guess is about £200 to fix or it could be done much cheaper DIY.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There does seem to be one area where the damp is quite significant at between 18 and 50%. Was the damp report done during the summer months? Is this a private buy?

When our Lunar had high damp readings around the locker door, the cost to repair was significantly higher than £200. Not only was the floor around the locker door very damp, the wall around the locker was very damp. Blue staining could indicate that the wall boards may need to be replaced.

If I remember correctly the wall boards needed to be replaced due to staining and mould and battens inside the wall replaced. I cannot remember what they did to resolve the floor issue, but the floor was the biggest issue.

Aug 24, 2024
Visit site
It appears to have an issue around the locker under the fixed bed - probably a leaky lower skirt rail - my guess is about £200 to fix or it could be done much cheaper DIY.
Thanks, I'm pretty compotent when it comes to DIY.
Never had a van before of my own so not sure what sort of reading would be considered a problem.
I'd be happy to reseal the box myself
There does seem to be one area where the damp is quite significant at between 18 and 50%. Was the damp report done during the summer months? Is this a private buy?

When our Lunar had high damp readings around the locker door, the cost to repair was significantly higher than £200. Not only was the floor around the locker door very damp, the wall around the locker was very damp. Blue staining could indicate that the wall boards may need to be replaced.

If I remember correctly the wall boards needed to be replaced due to staining and mould and battens inside the wall replaced. I cannot remember what they did to resolve the floor issue, but the floor was the biggest issue.

Thanks.
It's coming from a dealership.
They have only recently had the damp report carried out In the past week or so.
I'm planning on going to see it tomorrow but from what I've been told it's not showing any sign of mould the sales person obviously said its OK just has a higher reading around the box

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I'm pretty compotent when it comes to DIY.
Never had a van before of my own so not sure what sort of reading would be considered a problem.
I'd be happy to reseal the box myself
Thanks.
I'm planning on going to see it tomorrow but from what I've been told it's not showing any sign of mould the sales person obviously said its OK just has a higher reading around the box
If it is being bought from dealership, I am very surprised that they want to sell you the caravan as is with that damp. That high reading of 50% plus blue staining is a concern! Get the dealership to do the repair before purchase and if they refuse, definitely walk away.

If bought from a dealership are you aware that if within the first 30 days you find any issue, you can return the caravan and ask for a full refund? After the first 30 days and within 6 months, you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair before rejecting. After the first 6 months and before six years the onus is on the consumer to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase. The warranty that a dealership offers is over and above your rights as a consumer.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a neighbour her daughter got a lunar lexon SE 4 berth owned from new from a dealer just had a service she said it in good condition for a fifteen year old caravan she just had the awning rails resealed apart from that it has been very dry .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
They would say that. “Just has a higher reading “ 😂. There is a glut of second hand vans around at the moment. Look at several and weigh up all your options before deciding
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Phone and ask the dealer if they will repair the damp before purchase and then do another damp report. If they refuse to do the second damp report, walk away. the phone call may save you an unnecessary trip. Remember the dealers and especially sales people are not your friend.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If it is being bought from dealership, I am very surprised that they want to sell you the caravan as is with that damp. That high reading of 50% plus blue staining is a concern! Get the dealership to do the repair before purchase and if they refuse, definitely walk away.

If bought from a dealership are you aware that if within the first 30 days you find any issue, you can return the caravan and ask for a full refund? After the first 30 days and within 6 months, you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair before rejecting. After the first 6 months and before six years the onus is on the consumer to prove that the fault existed at time of purchase. The warranty that a dealership offers is over and above your rights as a consumer.
My bold - definitely!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
3 month warranty is worthless - their obligations under CRA extend for 6 months - time to walk away and find another caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The warranty that a dealership offers is over and above your rights as a consumer.
I know what Buckman was meaning, but his wording is I think unintentionally misleading.

Your consumer rights( as defined in the Consumer Rights Act 2015) are legally inalienable, and cannot be superseded or suppressed by a manufacturers (or sellers warranty). They are totally independent of each other and work differently.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As said before it looks like the problem area is around a locker door.
Mine failed some years ago . I thought it was the rubber seal. it wasn’t. The inner and outer sections of the door had come apart causing the leak.
A new door fixed it.
Have you seen any previous years damp reports? FSH?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dealer is selling cheap and have said they'll only provide a 3 month warranty
WALK AWAY. Your sentence above rings very loud alarm bells. Even if they sell cheap the dealer is still obliged by CRA 2015 to do repairs for up to 6 years, but definitely within the first 6 months. It reads almost as if they want to mislead you? I am now wondering if they are a reputable dealership? Please do not name they on the forum.

The warranty is a worthless piece of paper in comparison to CRA 2015. Ask the dealer if you can use a credit card to any make payments. If they refuse again walk away. Using the credit card gives you S75 protection.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know what Buckman was meaning, but his wording is I think unintentionally misleading.

Your consumer rights( as defined in the Consumer Rights Act 2015) are legally inalienable, and cannot be superseded or suppressed by a manufacturers (or sellers warranty). They are totally independent of each other and work differently.
Agreed and to hopefully make it even clearer, the CRA 2015 over rides any warranty offered by the dealer. None of us on here want to see anyone taken for a ride and lose a shedful of money. What is the cost of this caravan and are you sure it is a 2018 model? Lunar went into administration in mid 2019, but may have been cutting corners prior to that date.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WALK AWAY. Your sentence above rings very loud alarm bells. Even if they sell cheap the dealer is still obliged by CRA 2015 to do repairs for up to 6 years, but definitely within the first 6 months. It reads almost as if they want to mislead you? I am now wondering if they are a reputable dealership? Please do not name they on the forum.

The warranty is a worthless piece of paper in comparison to CRA 2015. Ask the dealer if you can use a credit card to any make payments. If they refuse again walk away. Using the credit card gives you S75 protection.
This raises a very important question. I’m not sure of the answer😎

Our local dealer is well known in Wiltshire and of the highest integrity. They do have a “cheapo” selection sold as seen , nothing much of a warranty, circa 3 months but no cover for specific faults they publish.

If CRA 2015 is so cast iron how does a dealer sell on older or worn stock?

May 2, 2020
Visit site
If the caravan was an easy repair I would think the dealer would do it and sell for retail price, they may know of other underlying issues with the caravan, they will probably put on the receipt SOLD AS SPARES OR REPAIR in which case I would think even the 3 month guarantee would be worthless and also CRA.
I wouldn't walk away I WOULD RUN VERY FAST
There's many good caravans out there don't rush into something you will regret and be a money pit.
Gra

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Our local dealer is well known in Wiltshire and of the highest integrity. They do have a “cheapo” selection sold as seen , nothing much of a warranty, circa 3 months but no cover for specific faults they publish.

Simple. A dealer can still do "sold as seen", but CRA 2015 still covers that purchase and the consumer can still use CRA 2015 for all repairs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Simple. A dealer can still do "sold as seen", but CRA 2015 still covers that purchase and the consumer can still use CRA 2015 for all repairs.
Three month dealer warranties are not uncommon on older cars and caravans. But it depends on the dealers as to how effective they may be. CRA2015 is the fallback. But again the dealer is likely to resist even legitimate requests for repairs.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

I thought it had been long outlawed and traders cannot sell "as seen" to the public although they can be sold as "spares or repairs".

Does CRA 2015 have any provision for "agreed faults" ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought it had been long outlawed and traders cannot sell "as seen" to the public although they can be sold as "spares or repairs".

Does CRA 2015 have any provision for "agreed faults" ?
I think that if both parties agree a fault in writing, or witnessed, the Buyer would be hard pressed to use either a Dealer warranty or CRA2015 to address that fault after acceptance . There has to be some limit to liability in a contract.
However sold as seen has no legal status.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think that if both parties agree a fault in writing, or witnessed, the Buyer would be hard pressed to use either a Dealer warranty or CRA2015 to address that fault after acceptance . There has to be some limit to liability in a contract.
However sold as seen has no legal status.

So what dealer in his right mind will sell a used caravan that has seen better days but in the hands of a less well off diyer could become a great piece of kit?
When I was young with not much dosh I went for a caravan needing TLC but basically sound. Are those diy days gone🙀

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts