Luxembourg and Surround

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The only tip I would give is - don't!
Luxembourg is very expensive,except for LPG, which was very cheap. It's a long time since we were there, but we stayed on a site in Belgium, and travelled into Luxembourg from there, but I cannot remember the site! I didn't find the country that immpresive, and Luxembourg city could be any city, anywhere.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Its prices arent too bad and just like LPG, diesel and petrol are cheap,eating out isnt bad and going inland towards larochette is quite picuterette known as little switzerland. if you head toward germany on the A1 [Luzembourg m/way] Geting off at wassingbillig junction 15..then follow the mosselle south for some stunning scenary..
Luzembourg the city is worth half a day at most but its worth a look.. as is trier just inside Germany..

have a nice time.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
We have stayed at a site many times near Luxembourg city called Kockelscheur. Check out the web site. A bus runs into the city from a stop a short walk from the gate, there was an outdoor eaterie with limited menu, an expensive cafe in the nearby sports complex and an on site shop for general provisions. We found both city and country well worth visiting though, from previous comments, not everybody would agree.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
We have been here twice http://www.echternacherbrueck.de/en is located on the Germany/ Luxembourg border. Its a nice site book early if you are going during the school holidays. Good supermarket 5 minutes walk away from site. cheap Luxembourg fuel 5 minutes from site. Echternach(Luxembourg) is a short walk over a bridge and is a lovely little town. Luxembourg City is not far away as is Trier. like a previous post says food is expensive to buy in Luxembourg .The campsite and supermarket are in the German side . The Supermarket caters well for campers and is a lot cheaper than the ones across the border in Luxembourg. Spa is just over an hour away

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for the feedback.
We have booked, to be fair the site have been great in terms of info. The Major thing is that we can visit plenty of places, and the sites also great for the kids.
Naturally I'll report back!

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Partickpebbles Have a look here for places to visit in the Area of Germany. We always stop in Germany at an ACSICamping Card site named Prumtal Camping at Oberweis, Germany just 20 minutes from Vianden in Luxembourg. Fuel is very cehap in the country but everything else especially food is much cheaper in Germany.. There are some lovely ploaces to visit in this area of Germany ie the Mosel Valley which you can read about in Germany Info page on the site. Any other help pleasecontact me will be pleased to help if I can.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
We have stayed at Bon Accueil at Alzingen on several occasions, it is only a short bus ride from the center of Luxembourg city.
It is a municipal site & kept spotless by the council workers that manicure the lawns & tend the flower beds every day. The toilet & shower facilities are kept spotless as well.
All this for 12 Euros per night using ACSI
The fuel prices are set by the government so that all of the filling stations charge the same price. We paid 1.18 Euros in June for diesel which was by far the cheapest on our travels through Europe (Netherlands, Germany, Belgium & France).

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I dont know where this "expensive" is coming from we visited many times and love the place. Fuel is as cheap as you can find anywhere and when we were still smoking it was the place to stock up. We dont eat out much but cooking for ourselves we never noticed much difference in the supermarkets. We used Camping de la Sure at Diekirch, site was a bit basic but the location is good on the banks of the river Sure with cycle paths along the bank in each direction. Our only grumble has been the amount of rain in September. I have seen remarks on another forum warning people not to go because "They will want to live there" and we could well understand the sentiment

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Guess it depends what you want. We had great time staying at kocklescheur. Plenty of ww2 sites near Luxembourg for those interested. We took in Bruges & Ghent on the way, well worth it.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
We've stayed at kocklescheur a few times and always found some good open air entertainment on summer evening
For a trip to Spa F1 I would be staying as near to the track as possible. I used to go to Spa for bike races and the 24 hour race a few times and even with the new road network it was real pain with the traffic.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Stayed a week in Diekirch September last year. Nice town with 2 sites by the river. You can get the train into Luxemburg from here also. Lovely place to visit if your nearby is Saarburg just over the border in Germany. Nice little site here also on the edge of town by the river.

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
We stayed at Bon Accueil also last year on our way back from the Black Forest and Konstance. We found it a very welcoming site, beautifully kept and very clean. No problem with transport to the city either as the bus stop is just across the road. The facilities are first class and pitches quite large, many with water supply. I agree that Luxembourg(city)is worth no more than a days tour but we found many eating places in a lovely square and did not find the prices exhorbitant. Obviously, fuel is very cheap as mentioned. There is also a large supermarket 10 mins walk away with reasonable prices if you want to stock up with anything. We would stay again.

TRENDING THREADS