m.a. w.

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
my 1994 pageant champagne has a m.a.w weight of 1136.am i right in thinking that maw is the same thing as miro on modern vans.most series 5 pageants i have seen have miro's in the 1100's

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dominic,

Trailer - Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) also Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) and Maximum Authorised Weight (MAW)

1136Kg MAW was a healthy weight in 1994 - vans have only got relatively heavier in the last 10 years.

Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dominic,

Trailer - Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) also Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) and Maximum Authorised Weight (MAW)

1136Kg MAW was a healthy weight in 1994 - vans have only got relatively heavier in the last 10 years.

Ray
Sorry meant to say in answer to your question NO the MAW is not the MIRO it is the MTPLM i.e the vans maximum weight loaded up.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
MIRO is the mass in running order which is basically the same as kerbweight except that MIRO is closely defined whereas kerbweight is based only on convention.

MTPLM is what the manufacturer has deemed to be the maximum mass that the vehicle is technically safe and suitable for use and operation under all conditions. MTPLM is defined on the basis of results out of the manufacturer's development and test programme. As the name suggests, it is a technical limit. MAM or MAW, on the other hand, are legal limits. Normally, MAM and MTPLM are identical, but the MAM may be lower if lower local legal restrictions apply. For example, a heavy truck could have an MTPLM of 48 tonnes, but an MAM of only 40 tonnes because of road traffic regulations, and these have nothing to do with the engineering design of the truck.

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
No, MAW isn't the same as MIRO, it's the same as MTPLM
thanks for clearing this up.it seems that the pageant champagne has got heavier every time a facelift model has been introduced since my 94 model.series 5 miro more compareable to the 1994 maw the only major difference i can see is a heki rooflight electric/gas blown air heating instead of just gas in the old model.although i could tow with my 2.0tdci130 mondeo it does tend to put you off with these vans being heavier.however i have seen plenty of mondeo's towing pageants so i would presume they must be allright, this would be my preference of modern van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

"No, MAW isn't the same as MIRO, it's the same as MTPLM"

Usually this is correct,

HOWEVER,,,

I've just had my MTPLM increased by the manufacturers of my van (Lunar) on request by 100kgs.

I didn't have to do anything other than ask them.

I therefore assume that although my previous MTPLM was 1400kgs, the MAW at that time was 1500kgs.

Don't ask me if your'e confused.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prior to the MPTLM being uprated the MAW was for all practcal purposes the same as the MPTLM. Now that your MPTLM as been uprated the MAW has also been uprated.

There is only one thing the BIB and VOSA agencies will be looking for at a check and that is the weight plate which these days shows the MIRO and the MPTLM.

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
on further inspection of the plate it also has a c.a.p. weight of 226 stamped underneath the m.a.w. of 1136 does anyone know what c.a.p. refers to?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The MAW can never be higher than the MTPLM. It is usually the same, but can, in a few special cases (as described in my post above), be lower.
Lutz,

Surely its the other way around.

In my case surely the MAW was 1500kgs when the MTPLM was 1400kgs.

When I upped the MTPLM to 1500kgs they became the same but the MAW was always the larger up to that point (or was it?)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravan Allowable Payload (CAP)

The amount of weight permitted by the caravan manufacturer as the payload of the caravan.

This includes the gas bottles, steps, spare tyres, bedding, crocks and cutlery, bedding, clothes, water, food and everything else not built in by the manufacturer.

Max. Authorised Weight (MAW)

Ex. Works Unladen weight + CAP (see above)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts