Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , just read this on another site ;

"....If you normally use the M6 Toll motorway through the Caravan & Motorhome Club Discount scheme please note that the discount is finishing on 31/12/18...."

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I read this a few months ago whilst looking at the Club's discounts page. I only joined this year! :(

Probably too many caravanners cheating the M6 Toll people out of an extra £5,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Hi , just read this on another site ;

"....If you normally use the M6 Toll motorway through the Caravan & Motorhome Club Discount scheme please note that the discount is finishing on 31/12/18...."

That’s the way to encourage usage. Could hardly be loosing money by trying to attract caravans through CMHC membership. I will redirect my compass and journeys henceforth to Wales. Severn Bridge tolls are removed prior to Xmas 2018.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I read this a few months ago whilst looking at the Club's discounts page. I only joined this year! :(

Probably too many caravanners cheating the M6 Toll people out of an extra £5,

On the times I have used it mainly southbound it’s so quiet that it must be running at a loss. Cannot see how actively discouraging caravans via a club discount scheme can aid the finances. Some would probably use the services too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just received my, Venture abroad, book /magazine, how much has that cost, to produce and send to every member? Rather than send to only those that wish to travel abroad, a waste of the clubs / our money which could be used to make site fees less, . Rant over.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Just received my, Venture abroad, book /magazine, how much has that cost, to produce and send to every member? Rather than send to only those that wish to travel abroad, a waste of the clubs / our money which could be used to make site fees less, . Rant over.

The brochure is not sent to every member, but should be limited to those who have used the foreign travel service in the last two years. If you have not been abroad and got the brochure, then I suspect there has been an error.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
On the question of the discount on the M6 toll we did use that once last year but mainly because there were reports of problems for traffic going the other way. We did not see any noticeable use by caravans, so suspect the loss is due to it not attracting enough to justify it.
For me the toll is too high to use the road unless you need to avoid problems on the normal M6 route and judging by the numbers using it many suffer the traffic jams rather than pay the toll.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Raywood said:
On the question of the discount on the M6 toll we did use that once last year but mainly because there were reports of problems for traffic going the other way. We did not see any noticeable use by caravans, so suspect the loss is due to it not attracting enough to justify it.
For me the toll is too high to use the road unless you need to avoid problems on the normal M6 route and judging by the numbers using it many suffer the traffic jams rather than pay the toll.

We use the M6 toll road because the service area is one of the best and it is in exactly the right place for us for a comfort stop, and although busy it is easy to park there. The route is also a relaxing break from the mayhem of the rest of the M6.

But will we now pay the extra to tow the caravan along it, probably not.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
You need to thank your lucky stars you don't live in Portugal... We had a holiday there in the last month and decided to take a drive from the Algarve to Porto (about 450 miles). The toll total for the round trip was over €100... Other roads weren't an option, because the time to do the trip doubled... No wonder the locals don't use them!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
EH52ARH said:

The brochure is not sent to every member, but should be limited to those who have used the foreign travel service in the last two years. If you have not been abroad and got the brochure, then I suspect there has been an error.

Maybe we got it as we have used the Red Pennent insurance, Thanks for the Info.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've never used the M6 toll road on principal.I pay road tax so why should I pay more just to use a toll road.
I've never experienced any traffic build up problems by not using the toll road.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
I've never used the M6 toll road on principal.I pay road tax so why should I pay more just to use a toll road.
I've never experienced any traffic build up problems by not using the toll road.

We have used it twice, the last time last year, when there were reported large delays at the M6, M5 junction. It is a fantastically easy drive, but at that price we only use it if there are problems we need to avoid. If it were a bit cheaper I am sure it would easily double its usage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:

You must have either been lucky or chosen your time to travel carefully to use the lowest congestion periods. :)

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Prof,
Didn't pick our time,we just turned up on our journey and it has never been a problem not using the toll road.I don't think it was luck (we've done this many times) .I suspect the road conditions on the road signs are exagerated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Prof,
.I suspect the road conditions on the road signs are exagerated.

Now that is a chicken and egg point. Is the congestion minimised becasue of the signage, or is it caused by the signage?

Probably the most effective measurement of congestion is the average time to pass through a defined section of road.The average time varies with teh time of day and other seasonal factors, such as bank holidays. With reference to the M6 links section which can be bypassed by the M6 Toll. I have heard figures that clearly show the introduction of the Smart Motorway systems of lane and speed management have reduced the average times at peak times, despite imposing speed restrictions. The suggested reason is that by controlling the speed of the traffic it reduces the peristaltic bunching that more often or not results in sections of traffic coming to a standstill. This has several benefits such as faster drivers are not going to come across stationary vehicles in the carriageway ahead so often, closing speeds and collisions are reduced, and road rage incidents are down, Driver alertness is improved. There are benefits to the environment also with lower particulate emissions as engines are not being unnecessarily revved or worked as hard.

Despite all these measures, the M6/M5 junctions are still one of the UKs busiest sections of road and subject to peak time delays as bad as any anywhere else in the country.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have used the M6 Toll but with me been disabled i get extemption pass and they have my car details and i just tell them my number .
When we were seasonal we must have travel to our twin axle caravan on site 18 times each way from our home we did that the first year then it when a bit less until our fourth year that when we Sold the caravan....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts