MAD spring fitting on latest X Trail

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I have noticed that the rear suspension on my new X Trail seems softer than the previous model. Has anyone fitted Mad auxilary springs and if so was it a difficult job for the average DIY person. Have also considered the rubber donuts, has anyone fitted these and were they successful?

Thanks Clive S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive Yes and Yes

I fitted the donuts first and then when they came out I fitted the MADs

The donuts do make it better but the MADs are far superior and raise the rear without spoiling the ride

They are a bit of a swine to fit the first time

and it says on the instructions after telling you how to do it that if you can't manage it then remove the rear spring etc to do it

Sounds encouraging---not

But here are some tips !!

You need a long tyre lever and some help

If you look carefully at the instruction picture the tyre lever they use has a curveed spoon like end and that is needed to lever the MAD

I use a 3 ft long crowbar and things got easie rbut this tended to slip along the car spring on the nearside so mole grips were clamped onto the car spring to brace against

Basically you thread the new spring inside the existing spring and it sits in a top hat shaped seat at the bottom

You then have to lever the top of the MAD spring down and fit a similar top hat section seat into the top while hold the strong MAD in compression

I luckily had help and hope that helps you

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi John G

Sorry I didn't respond to your reply. I'm still thinking about the MAD springs and the fact you had help to do the job.

I haven't towed with the vehicle fully loaded as yet but will next month when we are off to France. Think I will go donut route first and see how it is. I currently tow a 2007 Pageant Bordeaux MTPLM 1300 Kgms which is well within the capabilities of the X Trail.The vehicle just seems that much softer on the rear compared with the 2 previous models although they still quote 100 Kgm max nose weight.

Thanks again for your response and one further question, what did you do about the non towing spare supplied with the vehicle?

Best regards

Clive S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

The spare is taking up room in the garage

I Googled and found a really good one off a previous model Columbia

It has exactly the same tyre but the 6 spokes on the wheel have a slightly different profile but not as different as the steel spare

The offset is the same and it cost

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
My experience is with an Octavia and spirings made by Grayson Engineering - which are essentially the same as the MAD devices but

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can't compare the Octavia with the X Trail as the rear suspension is different and it wouldn't work as you describe otherwise MAD would recommend doing it that way one would imagine!!

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Interesting: I have a new XT, I tow c 100 kg on tow ball and loaded car, 2.7 in rear and 2.5 in front. I find fully loaded the front (steering) can get a bit light - haven't researched MAD assistors at all, but put off by the fitting probs above.

Any more feedback appreciated.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Howard

I always prefer a nose weight below the max, for the reason you mention.

Unfortunately the new xtrail is slightly more sensitive to passing traffic, with a 85kg nose weight that i used on my old model, so my intention is to use 90kg next time out.

Have you tried a lower nose weight?

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys

I don't intentionally load to maximum, I have a problem with nose weight. The van sits at 70 kg with nothing in the locker. I carry gas bottle in the locker - have moved the spare to a carrier, place the heavy box of toilet liquids / jacks over the axle. minimize weight in the front and put the aquaroll / waste hog in the back. I empty the water cylinder to travel which is front O /S, as is the battery which weighs 28.6 kg. As someone said here in the last day or two you get to know how to load the van, to travel best - and although I would have preferred less weight on the nose it tows well, but I agree the front of the car is sensitive to caravan deflection. Interested in feedback to my tyre pressures (17 inch wheels). Last trip I carried an awning over the axle, but it was too heavy and on the return trip I had to move it as far back as possible.

An issue I guess others are aware of is tow height - there seems to be a critical point where the van imposes disproportionately more weight - which causes real problems with stability thence must be avoided, so careful loading of the car is also required. I try hard to get the car to 'sit right' with the caravan and the load, and find the tow height affects the towing / stability, presumably affecting the air flows under and onto the van as speed increases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts