Main Battery Fuse.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After a few threads about lack of 12 volt power in the caraavan etc, and good folk mentioning about 20 amp battery fuses, I thought, :huh: where is my fuse, So after a bit of checking before going out on Wednesday. I found that one and also the fuse for the motor mover, all hidden amongst a rats nest of wiring,
I would not like to have to find it with a torch at 12 .O'dark . So when I get home in a weeks time I will rewire this lot so it is all easily accessible.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a good idea. I know where the main fuse is but have to admit I have no idea where the one for the mover is.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Raywood said:
Sounds a good idea. I know where the main fuse is but have to admit I have no idea where the one for the mover is.

It will be between the mover controller and the battery and most likely within the compartment that the controller is housed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
Raywood said:

It will be between the mover controller and the battery and most likely within the compartment that the controller is housed.

So true, but whoever fitted mine decided to hide it amongst another bunch of wires, I will also have to purchase a spare fuse for it and also a couple of spare 20 amp ones for the battery fuse as if there is a fault I would be bound to blow a second or third fuse before finding the fault.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I believe the battery fuse is located where it is, because it has to be sited within 50cms of the battery terminal, so something to bear in mind if re-locating it.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:
Raywood said:

So true, but whoever fitted mine decided to hide it amongst another bunch of wires, I will also have to purchase a spare fuse for it and also a couple of spare 20 amp ones for the battery fuse as if there is a fault I would be bound to blow a second or third fuse before finding the fault.

Hutch,

I can bring to the fest a pre-wired in-line fuse holder with protective housing, might have some spare 20amp blade fuses also, see pic in link if it is of use to you. Gratis of course.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/inline-splashproof-maxi-blade-fuse-holder.html

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks John, but after looking at it again, and see Tukumms posting about the Solar panel socket, the fuse I found was a 10 amp one, that fed into the outside power socket, and the 20 battery fuse is in the consumer unit, , so after moving wires around and new tywraps, all is neat and tidy.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Our main battery fuse is inches off the battery's positive post, the mover's about a foot away.

In at least 35 years camping with a van I have yet to blow the main supply fuse. The only fuse ever to blow is on the control panel and feeds the three 12 volt sockets, used for TV, freestanding awning light etc; and I know which one it is, it is even labelled by the maker.

On that track record, and knowing where the main fuse is, will not see me rewiring things and so close to the battery I can't see a better location to facilitate its designed function.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here I have only blown one fuse in less than 10 year and that was my fault in which I was testing a kettle out for travelling to France but it was overpowered and blew the fuse but in my new van , all fuses on the fuse board is labelled what is what and a red LED light will appear lit to show which fuse has blown.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've had fuses blow for both outside pump and Alde heating.
But never the main fuse when fitted.

And my present Swift has the ELCB or (whatever they call them now) trip on a regular basis when the ac power is plugged in and switch on. Also when i first bought the swift a leaky charger would trip it until replaced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts