major spillage on upholstery-help

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Idiot OH (who doesn't read this, so I can say what I like) stowed a bottle of juice (forest fruit squash) in a top locker directly over the front lounge sofa. Not only was it there, it was not wedged, nor was the top on properly. Guess what? It fell over in transit and I now have a major pink spillage stain on 3 of the front cushions. Wiped up with wet cloths as best I could.

Do you have any suggestions.

I have considered divorce, murder, GBH and castration. Whatever Relate have got to say, frankly I am not interested.

While I consider these posibilities, perhaps someone may know a good way to get the stain out of the cushions.

mel

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mel

Have you got a carpet cleaner ? or can you hire one ? will the covers come off so that they can be cleaned ?

Have a look on here at stain removal you might find a tip or two........

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Mel.

Sorry to here about your unfortunate mishap.

We had an almost an indentical incident ourselves only last week, but our spillage was from an upturned bottle of Soy sauce causing brown steaks all down the walls over the rear sofa and and stained the cushions.

It took a lot of hard work with hot soapy water, but the good news is, it all came out, including the brown stains down the walls.

Good luck ............Mike

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all. If I'd acted quicker I could have got off as a crime of passion or balance of mind temporarily unhinged! Especially if there were caravanners in the jury.

Glad to hear that are solutions for the stain as well. May be able to lay my hands on one of those squirt and suck carpet/upholstery cleaners when I get home. There's hope if soy sauce came out.

mel

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mel, I find that Vanish is quite a good all round stain remover, you could try the spray on stuff, but the stuff you dilute with water is very good for removing all sorts of stains, you may need to do it a couple of times though, but I'm sure with a little elbow grease, it will all come out. Perhaps you could give the job to your OH, and I'm sure he will be careful how he packs the 'van in future!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote roy ... " I'm sure he will be careful how he packs the 'van in future"!

It couldn't happen to me because Her Ladyship does 'inners' and I do 'outers' :O)

Any spillages it would be her who got the blame as she did when a pyrex dish fell from the top cupboard and dented the worktop :O(

She asked wasn't I mad at her. I told her no because us men have a gentler more understanding nature. At that particular time I hadn't told her I hadn't made sure an outside locker was closed properly and it had come open on the way home and the mover isolation key had fell out somewhere between home and Dorset. I did have to tell her when I couldn't use the mover.

The bruise on my arm took ages to go :O(

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Mel,

I hope you man's life and man jewels remain intact? I feel you have missed something with your mishap. Don't tow with food stuff in the overhead lockers. Being a chauvanist, I afraid it is your responsibility, the kitchen is your department. LOL!!!! I am ducking down now!!!!

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mel

We had a previous van stolen, recovered a few days later with the upholstery (amongst many other problems) in a filthy state. I was sure we would have to have new upholstery, but the dealers cleaned it with Vanish and a steam cleaner.....brilliant. Absolutely no trace of any marks left and the upholstery looked just like new. Try it, if you can get your hands on a steam cleaner.

Might be best to try out whatever you decide to use on an unobtrustive bit first. Good luck!

(Oh, and he's only a man, you have to make allowances for them! LOL)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again to all, with the exception of David, who is very wise to cower. Hired a carpet/upholstery cleaner. Decided it was cheaper than a divorce. So far (cushions still drying)all looking good.

All newbies please note important caravanning tip:

Never, ever, stow any liquids in overhead lockers.

Many thanks again,

mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts