Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I am hoping to find a review/ listing of best towing cars for maximising MAM 3500kg i.e. optimal combination of low car weight and high towing capacity. Has anyone seen such a review? Many thanks.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Why would you want low car weight to tow 3500 kg?

My nomination for best tow car with 3500kg towing limit is a VW Touareg - but at 2280 kg kerbweight it's not light weight!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The OP would be more likely to get useful info if he gave us some idea of what he needs - and a good starting point would be details of his caravan, specifically the MTPLM and the nose weight.
Also why the 3500Kg? HMG have dropped the need to take a "+E" test - everyone gets B+E automatically so the 3500Kg train limit no longer applies. The limit is now that a trailer of up to 3500Kg can be towed by tug of up to 3500Kg provided the gross train weight does not exceed the tug's specification.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am a caravaner with old persons license so I can tow 3500kg however my question is regarding a young friend I am trying to help get going and who obtained her driving license since 1997 and according to gov website her car licence (cats in attached photo) restricts towing to MAM of 3500kg. So min car weight would maximise towing capacity (subject to car max). Is this Gov website out of date regarding MAM?
MAM = Maximum Authorised Mass i.e. combined weight of car and trailer.
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Attachments

• A657D117-CB19-4501-8FFB-FE5EE4A7D966.jpeg
    A657D117-CB19-4501-8FFB-FE5EE4A7D966.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 8
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Derek, and welcome to the forum,

Things have changed since december 2021 and the restriction your younger driver is concerned about has changed.

Retrospectively to include all licences issued since 1997, it is now the case that all UK licences will have cat BE automatically and retrospectively assigned to them. This removes the lower 3500 combined MAM limitation and allows drivers to drive CAT B car of up to MAM 3500kg to tow a trailer with a combined MAM of up to 3500kg giving a combined limit of 7000kg.

Obviously the manufacturers limits have to be observed.

Please don't take my word alone for this, you should check how the changes will affect your friend by using official gov't sources for driving licence information.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I believe this automatically happens when you renew or replace your driving licence, It is a bit vauge if you can tow at the new limit without changing your licence.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most Fords will tow well above their MIRO or kerbweight i.e. MIRO is 1600kg, but vehicle can tow up to 2000kg. However towing any trailer that is heavier than the towing vehicle is not a good idea especially for a newbie as it can be very unsafe as the trailer may dictate where the car goes.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Low kerb weight and high towing ratio is the worst combination possible, and towing 3,500 kg with a very light car is simply not good practice and may invalidate your insurance. It is possibly possible to tow a far smaller trailer with heavy goods in it, but I would not risk even that. The whole point is that a caravan weighing 3,500kg will be large and have considerable exposure to side winds and passing traffic and the car is unlikely to be heavy enough to control it.
Safe towing requires a sensible towing ratio as well as good loading and other factors but get any seriously wrong and you are a danger to yourself and others.
Anything with that sort of limit will almost certainly be a heavy 4X4 like the Toureg or the old Landrovers, or better still a Transit van or similar. . Even then with most of those, you would have to tow pretty slowly to get a stable combination.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am a caravaner with old persons license so I can tow 3500kg however my question is regarding a young friend I am trying to help get going and who obtained her driving license since 1997 and according to gov website her car licence (cats in attached photo) restricts towing to MAM of 3500kg. So min car weight would maximise towing capacity (subject to car max). Is this Gov website out of date regarding MAM?
What car does your friend currently drive and is there a reason why she needs a big caravan? :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... Is this Gov website out of date regarding MAM?

No, the site is not wrong in its definition of MAM. However from your comment above I don't think you have grasped its application fylly.

MAM does indeed mean the "Maximum Authorised Mass" but how its applied depends on the context in which its used.

When the subject of the sentence is a solo vehicle MAM refers to just that vehicle.

But another application which is relevant to towing is "Combined MAM" Which is the sum of the MAM of the tow vehicle plus the MAM (MTPLM) of the trailer.

For your information a "MAM" is not a weight it is a weight limit, a point which is often not made clear.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In current legislation there is no such term as "maximum authorised mass". MAM is an obsolete term, replaced by "technically permissible laden mass" or "technically permissible laden mass of the combination", depending on what one is referring to.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Am I not correct in saying that the extension of a category B licence to include category BE, although automatic, does not come into effect until category BE is entered into the licence? It certainly applies when travelling abroad. Without BE on the licence the 3500kg combination weight restriction continues to apply on the other side of the Channel..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is the page address for the UK Govt's announcement of teh change which took place on the 16th December 2021.

"DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers. You do not need to contact DVLA for this to happen. It will be done automatically. You’ll get category BE added to your driving licence when you next apply to get a new driving licence."

This implies the electronic record will be updated immediately, and the drivers card will be updated when it is renewed on its expiry.

Whilst this will cover driving in the UK, I cannot predict how other countries (Especially the EU which uses a very similar driving licence structure) will view the difference between what's shown on the card and what the DVLA's electronic records contain.

And despite the change to "technically permissible laden mass " the page shown continus to use MAM

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Whilst this will cover driving in the UK, I cannot predict how other countries (Especially the EU which uses a very similar driving licence structure) will view the difference between what's shown on the card and what the DVLA's electronic records contain.
As foreign authorities won't have access to the DVLA's electronic records, they have only what is shown on the physical driving licence to go by, so anyone intending to travel abroad with a B licence but over 3500kg would be well advised to have their licence amended before leaving home. Alternatively, they could apply for an IDP which would presumably show the updated record.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This is the page address for the UK Govt's announcement of teh change which took place on the 16th December 2021.

"DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers. You do not need to contact DVLA for this to happen. It will be done automatically. You’ll get category BE added to your driving licence when you next apply to get a new driving licence."

This implies the electronic record will be updated immediately, and the drivers card will be updated when it is renewed on its expiry.

And despite the change to "technically permissible laden mass " the page shown continus to use MAM
As I mentioned in my post #10 , this is a bit vauge, it states cat BE will be added to your licence when you renew your licence, I would not tow at your new limit until it is physically on your licence .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that the HMG website is quite specific in regards to where the driver now stands. It even says that you don’t have to do anything and that the licence will be updated automatically when renewed. You can access your own details at DVLA and it would be of interest to see if the actual licence holders accounts have been updated or if they stay unchanged until renewal date.

On the basis of the HMG information now in the public record I would be prepared to drive on a B whilst awaiting renewal. If anyone did have a concern the answer is to lose their licence and apply for a new one.

Those planning trips to Europe will be best advised to ensure the photo licence is updated to show BE.

Reactions: Raywood and Hutch
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
As I mentioned in my post #10 , this is a bit vauge, it states cat BE will be added to your licence when you renew your licence, I would not tow at your new limit until it is physically on your licence .

You can update your licence at any time - indeed you have to update the photograph every ten years anyway - but there may be a charge (which used to be £10.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts