Manchester to Leeming

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at a long weekend in November and travelling up to Leeming (Just off the A1 outside Northallerton)

Has anyone travelled across the M62 or up the A1 at that time of year? Just want to make sure that I can travel safely.

Thanks

Chris

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at a long weekend in November and travelling up to Leeming (Just off the A1 outside Northallerton)

Has anyone travelled across the M62 or up the A1 at that time of year? Just want to make sure that I can travel safely.

Thanks

Chris
The roads are normal UK highways. The only things that you should check before departure is for snow, fog or wind in the forecast otherwise the roads are perfectly ok.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks otherclive,

I wasn't sure how bad the M62 got with cross winds where it hits its peak altitude.

Chris
It’s a predominantly east west route and the prevailing winds are normally west to east at that time of year. You could always go via Burnley and loop around to Harrogate etc. But M62 is okay if you keep an eye out for the forecasts and if in any doubts when you are en route slow down or detour.

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Thanks.

It looked a fairly simple route on Google maps. If everything goes to plan it will be our 3rd trip out touring. The first 2 are both preston so nice and close to home.

Chris

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

It looked a fairly simple route on Google maps. If everything goes to plan it will be our 3rd trip out touring. The first 2 are both preston so nice and close to home.

Chris
Hi Chris Take it nice and steady i have use the M62 & A1 have a nice break
Take Care Keep Safe

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi , I towed up to Barnard Castle, along the A1, in September a few years ago during those big storms, from Mablethorpeand that was fine but 10 miles along the A66 was horrendous, and after 15miles I was down to maybe 10mph and got of the main road onto sheltered side roads. Take it steady, and watch the weather reports.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi , I towed up to Barnard Castle, along the A1, in September a few years ago during those big storms, from Mablethorpeand that was fine but 10 miles along the A66 was horrendous, and after 15miles I was down to maybe 10mph and got of the main road onto sheltered side roads. Take it steady, and watch the weather reports.

I remember that; we were all coming back from the Woosiefest in Lincolnshire and you were the brave so and so that took the tough route.
Fear not Chris, the winds were horrendous that day so unless bad weather is forecast, you should be OK. We have done the A1 a few times and it’s fine with the usual due care and attention and an eye on the weather.
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The A66 is very exposed in places but it would need serious winds to be a real problem. You can use the A684 off the M1 to get to and miss the most exposed [arts of the M1 which is the stretch South from Tebay. That route has one steep hill which is why lorries are banned but unless you have a very low powered tow car it should not be a problem.
The alternative route using the M62 is very hilly and can be hard work for the car, with some exposed sections although I have never tried this in winds. The A1 after that up to Leeming is pretty flat and should not be a problem. I have towed this stretch in winds that stopped me later and it was pretty good, I would not worry about that bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts