Mattress covering for back pain sufferer?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Like quite a few folks, I've struggled with back pain (arthritis and sciatica) for decades.

In our old Ace the bed boxes were solid ply and the cushion was just 4" of foam. After a week sleeping in the caravan my back was always much better!

In our current Pageant the bed boxes have sprung slats and the cushions are 6" with proper springs. Nowadays my back gets worse while caravanning, not better.

Has any fellow sufferer tried any of these "mattress toppers"?

The adverts I've seen, seem to focus on softness but I was always told that a firm bed was good for backs - the old Ace seemed to back this up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger, As a fellow back sufferer I sympathise with your problem entirely. I have just invested in a mattress topper made of memeory foam (same stuff as used by astronoughts when in space)from a company called Cushy Numbers (Bristol & Weston Super Mare) So far I've slept on it for two nights and they've been the best nights sleep I've ever had in the caravan. Now seriously considering investing in another for our bed at home.

Yes I'd recommend them as a benefit to anyone with back problems. Good luck.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
what you need is called "memory foam" you can by full MF matress or MF to go on existing matress. Warning. This stuff is not cheap! Try putting Memory Foam Matress in internet search.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your input, particularly Gooner's first hand experience (is that Gooner from Highbury?).

I can't change the mattress, it's a 2-berth so we need somewhere to sit in the evening! Changing the car and caravan to get a fixed bed isn't an option, nor is a new set of cushions.

I've seen 25mm memory foam toppers from

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
RogerL

I two have back pain I had a operation so year back now which has not seem to have worked envy way I been on a cores which was run by the hoplite to help me cop with the pain. In some ways it helps but in other ways it did not. One thing I learnt on the cores was what works for one due not always work for other people.

So before you go out and sped your cash trey some other things.

1, Place a pillow in between your legs.

2 Lay with one of your leg on a pillow this is spots to tack the wait of t your back.

3 Go to sleep with a hot jell bag or one of the other one that you put in the micway on your back.

4 Go to sleep laying on your front.

5 Get two pillows lay them in a stray t like down the bed the cub in to them.

One of them mite work sorry if one of them dues not work

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can recommend memory foam mattress toppers.

I bought a 2" double for my bed at home and it was so good that I have since bought two single 1" for the twin permanent beds in my caravan.

Mine came from a company called CPS, advertising in the CC magazine, singles were around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger,

My wife has a back problem and finds that a hard mattress makes it worse. So about a year ago we invested in a memory foam mattress topper 2" thick. It cost about 90 quid fir a King size I think. They are advertised in the Sunday papers - we used a company called RMC (0870 700 0608) and it has completely solved the back problem. There is another company called CPS (020 7231 5432)

Now we have a new caravan with fixed bed and when we were away for 10 days in January we found the bed very hard. So we tried to buy a memory foan topper from a local bed shop and they wanted 249 quid for a 4 foot x 6 foot x 2 inch topper.

So now wer're back home I'm going to order one from one of the mail order people.

Fot us there's no doubt.

Chris

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your input.

I'm under a physiotherapist and use a pillow between and under my legs, which helps a little.

As there seems to be a consensus in favour of "memory foam" I'll probably get a 25mm topper for the caravan> If that works I'll get a 50 or 75 topper for our bed at home.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger L

Have you tried covering the sprung bed slats with a sheet of ply for added firmness ? You might need to beware of condensation problems though . We tried memory foam but found it to be rather hot in warm weather.

Mike E

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts