Mattress Toppers

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how they use their mattress toppers? Do you still turn over your cushions to the wrong side first and then lay out the mattress topper, or do you think it would be ok to use the mattress topper, with a cover, straight on top of the seat cushions without turning them over?

My thoughts are that there shouldn't be any direct wear and tear on the cushions as they would be protected by the topper.

Just wondered if anyone that uses them could let me know from their experience what would be best.

Thanks

Sophie

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sophie

If we turn our cushions over they are extremely uncomfortable. I think they have pieces of hardwood inside the back of them, so ours have to go the right way up.

We wrap a matress protector over the top of our topper and then an elasticated bottom sheet over the whole lot. The bundle is then held together with 8 strategically placed safety pins. This gives a bottom sheet that spreads out nicely over the cushions to form the bottom of the bed and folds up and goes under the seat with duvet and pillows during the day.

I'm not sure of your caravanning experience but the way you place the cushions can often make a big difference to the comfort of the bed. Its each to their own on this one but experimentation will find the best results for you. We go big cushions in the middle but turned round so the knee bolsters are to the outside and then the small back cushions outside of these.

Regards

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sophie

We use our (Dunelm Mill) memory foam topper on the cushions which are the wrong way up. We use and store the topper in a double duvet cover which we use instead of a bottom sheet. The cover is a bit oversized but we just tuck the extra under the topper. We could use our cushions the right way up as they are fairly flat but we think the wrong way up saves wear to the cushions. I don't know if the latter is true as the right side of the cushions are touching the wooden slats when the cushions are the right way up.??

Tim

May 26, 2008
Visit site
We use the beds as single bunks. My dearly beloved divided a double topper split down the middle. She then made each a cover from sheeting with one end secured with Velcro. When the beds are sorted in the morning the toppers complete with cover are simply rolled up and put away. As are the lightweight duvets we use. We do not find it necessary to turn our cushions over. Bed making and clearing is very simple and quick

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sophie

If we turn our cushions over they are extremely uncomfortable. I think they have pieces of hardwood inside the back of them, so ours have to go the right way up.

We wrap a matress protector over the top of our topper and then an elasticated bottom sheet over the whole lot. The bundle is then held together with 8 strategically placed safety pins. This gives a bottom sheet that spreads out nicely over the cushions to form the bottom of the bed and folds up and goes under the seat with duvet and pillows during the day.

I'm not sure of your caravanning experience but the way you place the cushions can often make a big difference to the comfort of the bed. Its each to their own on this one but experimentation will find the best results for you. We go big cushions in the middle but turned round so the knee bolsters are to the outside and then the small back cushions outside of these.

Regards
Thanks Tim our cushions can only fit one way so we don't have any choice in that. I like the idea of the safety pins though

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sophie

We use our (Dunelm Mill) memory foam topper on the cushions which are the wrong way up. We use and store the topper in a double duvet cover which we use instead of a bottom sheet. The cover is a bit oversized but we just tuck the extra under the topper. We could use our cushions the right way up as they are fairly flat but we think the wrong way up saves wear to the cushions. I don't know if the latter is true as the right side of the cushions are touching the wooden slats when the cushions are the right way up.??

Tim
Thanks Tim, I was thinking that I could save some effort in turning the cushions over but I would of course still have to move them so that the knee rolls were to the outside.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
We use the beds as single bunks. My dearly beloved divided a double topper split down the middle. She then made each a cover from sheeting with one end secured with Velcro. When the beds are sorted in the morning the toppers complete with cover are simply rolled up and put away. As are the lightweight duvets we use. We do not find it necessary to turn our cushions over. Bed making and clearing is very simple and quick
Thanks John, your way sounds so simple. I'm trying to simplify our bedtime routine as my other half wants to get a fixed bed and I'm happier to have all the lovely living space in the van we've got.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Sophie

We're just back from our 2nd trip using our Dunelm Mill m/foam topper. We have now used it for 2x 10 night trips. Like you we like the large living space in non-fixed-bed 'vans - ours is a Bailey Senator Arizona (5 Series).

We have developed a routine for bed making to minimise the time and effort. To unmake the bed we roll the topper (still in its duvet cover) as tightly as possible whilst it is still on the "bed" cushions and then secure it with 3 home-made wide elastic straps which we tie around it. We then store the rolled topper in the larger of our front underseat lockers - the one without the battery box. The length of the locker is equal to the width of the topper so it fits fine lengthways. The topper is quite a tight fit bulkwise but we put it into the locker through the lift-up seat slats lid - it wouldn't fit through the drop-down door There is still room for our double duvet in that locker too but we now have to keep the pillows in the locker oppposite.

It IS more effort making/remaking the bed now and it needs both of us wokring together to roll the topper, move the cushions to lift the locker lid to put the topper and duvet in, etc. We have now worked out a routine for the best way of making/unmaking the bed and it takes about 7 minutes morning and night. We DO definitely feel that it is worth the effort for the INCREASED comfort.

We still turn our cushions over but we could have them either way up as they are all flat, without knee rolls.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Tim

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sophie

We too use the beds as singles and make them up as follows. i cut a topper down to match the size of the bed, made it a cover from a single duvet cover and this goes on the cushion, either turned over or not depending on which you find the most comfortable. We use 4.5 single duvets and in the morning I fold the duvet in half lengthways whilst still on the bed. I then roll the topper and duvet together and put into bed base. The pillows go easily into the top lockers. You can also just roll the duvet up separately, then the topper and put both away, again whichever you find easier. Bed making takes all of a couple of minutes and during the day we have a tidy caravan with good space. Hope this helps.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We bought a Raskelf one just before we came away. I put it straight on top of the seat and the wife has a duvet to put over her. She has never slept so well. In the morning it is rolled up and put under the seat.

Les

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we put ours strieght on top of the cushions,with a cover on it, and its rolled up and put under the bed for storage, we open out a single sleeping bag to use as a duvet. we only paid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts