Max age for side bunks

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I currently have 5 berth, 2002 Swift Challenger, however have the chance of a 4 berth, 2006 Swift Charisma with side bunks, I have two children ages, 10 and 11.

Would this be a sensible option to consider at the ages that our children are now, as I'm not into changing my caravan on a regular basis or would it be more sensible sticking with a 5 berth caravan.

What is the max age or max size you would recommend someone use side bunks?

We love our existing caravan and it works well for us and is in extremely good condition, however we sometimes get fed up with the small side bathroom and front "L" shape lounge, whereas this 4 berth option would give us a good sized rear bathroom of which we have always liked the idea of and would take us back to parallel front seating also.
I look forward to receiving your comments to help us decide either way, however I do agree that whatever you choose caravan wise if often a compromise.

Cheers
Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The caravan manufacturers normally quote a maximum allowable weight for side bunks. In the case of our old caravan this was 80kg, which is ample for the average adult, too. So were the dimensions. For that reason we sometimes used the bunks ourselves even after the children stopped travelling with us (it saved making the beds up).

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
My bunk states 70kg and my 16 year old grandson sleeps on ours when he comes with us.But sometimes he he occasionally sits up and forgets the overhead locker and bangs his head .What he says in the middle of the night i wont repeat.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Size may be more impotant than age. My lad was 5ft 10 at age 11 and now at 13 is 6ft 2, and chunky. Bunks are not an option. On the other hand he is old enough to sleep in the awning annexe. The other factor is how likely are they to complain? Arguements every bedtime are not fun.
mel

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Weight and size of the children are the deciding factor. We're considering changing our fixed bunk 6 berth next year for a twin dinette 6 berth.

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi, we have just changed from a challenger 4 berth with rear bathroom and dinette bunks, to a fairway 586, which has a decent sized side bathroom but admittedly not quite the large rear one that is nice. The main reason we changed is for the fixed rear bunks with a dinette at the side of them, giving effectively an area that can be closed off, if needed so our growing child has some personal space when he needs it. He is an average nine year old and we hope to keep this van for several years. Other benefit for us is the ability to leave his bed made up. It is a 6 berth and there are only 3 of us but it was the layout we thought would work for us now and for the foreseeable future. I think you will know when you happen on the right layout for your family, I hope you find what will work for you and yours soon.
Pam

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies and information.
I think we will look closely at this before stepping in as we need to get it right, interesting to here though that these bunks are made for upto adult size, I was under the impression that around teenage years would be about the max.
We really do love the idea of a bigger bathroom, however we do love our current 5 berth with Lounges at both ends giving space for us and a seperate space with a dividing door for the kids should we need it.
Again Thanks, and we'll take another good look before trying to make a definate decision.

Cheers
Andrew.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
We had a 5 berth Europa so we could take grandchildren with us,the same layout as yourself.The deciding factor to change was when the shower tray cracked by continuosly walking on it to use the toilet,although we had never used it to shower.I replaced the tray myself cost £173, or if dealer was to take it un repaired the trade in would of been £600 less.We much prefer the large end washroom as now the shower does get used, and we hang wet coats in the shower cubicle.

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
hi weve got a 4 berth coachman amara with side bunks and end bathroom the end bathroom is briliant for our family of four my boys are aged 4 and 10 my eldest hates sleeping in the top bunk as he doesnt have enough room and keeps hitting his head so i brought an annex to go on the awning he prefers sleeping in there on a camp bed or air bed but i must admit i wouldnt feel comftable closing caravan door so i leave caravan door open at night if its cold we have a small halogen heater we leave on in the awning

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
hi weve got a 4 berth coachman amara with side bunks and end bathroom the end bathroom is briliant for our family of four my boys are aged 4 and 10 my eldest hates sleeping in the top bunk as he doesnt have enough room and keeps hitting his head so i brought an annex to go on the awning he prefers sleeping in there on a camp bed or air bed but i must admit i wouldnt feel comftable closing caravan door so i leave caravan door open at night if its cold we have a small halogen heater we leave on in the awning

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts