Maximum distance and height of apparatus from gas regulator

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In a caravan fixed 30mb regulator system is there a maximum distance, or height above, the appliance can be from the regulator?

A friend has a grill fittted in a horse carrier at head height and it is portraying the symptoms of gas starvation. All other appliances operate normally. The grill has been removed and bench tested on a 37mbar regulator and was ok.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ray

I've not come across any problem with head height. I have seen LPG used in a domestic environment over 4 floors (approx 12M) fed from a 37mB regulator on a propane cyclinder on the ground floor

So I guess that the horse box is well within that, so head height is not the most likely problem.

It sounds more like a pipework restriction. This could be a crushed pipe or a blockage, or if the distance between the supply is very long, the pipe work may simply be too small.

If the job has been done properly, the installer will have calculated the size of pipework necessary by taking into account all the appliances, their gas rates, and the distance from the regulator. The regulator may be faulty.

If there are lots of other appliances using gas at the same time, the regulator may not be big enough, and the bottle may be too small to cope with the required gas take off rate.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I would agree with John, most likley a pipe sizing problem, the gas piping in all the horsebox's i've come across leave a lot to be desired. ie. crushed pipes, unsupported runs,badly positioned etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts