Maximum Legal Width

May 27, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone advise what is the max legal width for a caravan in the UK and is it any less in Europe? I am sure that I saw a thread on here yesterday where this was mentioned but I just spent nearly an hour looking dfor it and I can't seem to find it now.

I found loads of other helpful stuff tho'

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The maximum legal width in the UK for a "normal" caravan outfit is 2.3m. Only if the towcar has a GVW of over 3.5 tonnes (which is highly unlikely), may you tow up to 2.55m wide (God only knows what the weight of the towcar has to do with width of the trailer). 2.55m is also the maximum legal width in most other European countries.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even less sense when 3.5T is a gross weight and the unladened weight of said vehicle is less than that of any decent sized 4x4 today!!

Perhaps it's something to do with width of a 3.5T vehicle and rear view of it's mirrors??

One possible BTW is a Yank Ford 250 LWB pickup(Gross 4T+) but it's 20ft (6M) long!

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
There are a number of vehicles that can legally tow this, including certain uprated Land Rover Defenders.

The problem is that you need an HGV licence to drive the resulting train.

Reading the rules, I believe that there may be one possible way round the whole issue. Put the caravan on a trailer that is only 2.3m wide; I understand the load is allowed to overhang...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts