Maximum towing weights

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
In vehicle hand books and various other literature (Tow Sure), it states what the maximum towing weight is for the vehicle in question. My question is does anyone know if this figure is the 100% towing weight or the 85% towing weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phil, it means neither of the two. It means the max tow limit as set by the manufacturer. Ray
Phil, looking at it another way I suppose it's 100% of the max towing limit set by the manufacturer. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The maximum towing load is exactly what it says: the maximum that the car manufacturer deems fit for towing. It is at the same time the legal maximum that may not be exceeded.

The 85% figure, on the other hand, is 85% of the kerbweight of the towcar and is just a rule of thumb for a recommended maximum weight of the caravan regardless of any legal restrictions. It may be greater or lower than the maximum that the car manufacturer has specified but on no account may you exceed the legal limit.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
The maximum towing load is exactly what it says: the maximum that the car manufacturer deems fit for towing. It is at the same time the legal maximum that may not be exceeded.

The 85% figure, on the other hand, is 85% of the kerbweight of the towcar and is just a rule of thumb for a recommended maximum weight of the caravan regardless of any legal restrictions. It may be greater or lower than the maximum that the car manufacturer has specified but on no account may you exceed the legal limit.
Hi Lutz

Thanks for the info. The car I am looking at at the moment is the Vectra 2.2 with a Kerbweight of 1427, 85% is 1212.95 kg which is well under the manufacturers recommended weight. We are experienced towers so can go to 90%. But if we were pulled over by the boys or girls in blue for a checks and we were found to be pulling 1300kgs would we be in the wrong......?????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts