Maybe getting a caravan - advice and tips please!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi I can't give you any technical support other than what you have already had, all good.
What I will say is go on YouTube and check out cheap RV ING.
I know it's the state's but it gives you some great inspirational ideas on how to buy an older caravan (always the best way to start so you don't realise you hate caravaning till you try it) this allows you to pimp it to how you want it.
If you have a two berth then you can set one side up as a single bed and have the other as a seat, it's great taking your dog with you and they normally love it, I have three nutty furbbies who love getting to go with me.
Being safe as a solo female is also important but that's another subject. Go for it, you want regret it promise

Jul 8, 2018
Visit site
Yes, the weight of the mover is definitely a consideration. Some of the options have only 70kgs payload in total. I think I would find it easier to move the caravan than to lift a 35kg mover in and out of the car!

Jul 8, 2018
Visit site
Great idea about the rear camera Parksy, I'll remember that one!

And I have been known to do the lift-the-car test when about to set off with a trailer load of living creatures, but haven't been doing it lately, so thanks for reminding me about that safety tip.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WomanDognSpinningWheel said:
Yes, the weight of the mover is definitely a consideration. Some of the options have only 70kgs payload in total. I think I would find it easier to move the caravan than to lift a 35kg mover in and out of the car!

These movers are fixed so removing for transportation is not an option, though there is one model that can be partially removed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
AlexandriaUK said:
If you check, it is a legal requirement on most cars even big 4x4s to attach extension mirrors

I must correct this comment, Its a subtle difference but :-

The law does not specifically call for extension mirrors. The legal requirement is to have mirrors that give the required rear ward field of view.

However in practice, most tow vehicle are not wide enough for their standard mirrors to see down the sides and to +4M either side at 20M from the driver, so extension mirrors are almost always needed to meet the requirement when towing caravans.

If you don't use extension mirrors, be prepared to show you do meet the legal field of view requirement. It up to £1000 per infringement (Each side) and points on licence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts