Mayday

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We recently had to use Mayday and in order to get a recovery, we phoned them. You go through various menus and then arrive at one that tells you that if you have broken down, you should download the Mayday app for a better response? The latter does not make sense to me as a human being still needs to deal with the recovery logged on the app so why not take the phone call which will probably be quicker? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We recently had to use Mayday and in order to get a recovery, we phoned them. You go through various menus and then arrive at one that tells you that if you have broken down, you should download the Mayday app for a better response? The latter does not make sense to me as a human being still needs to deal with the recovery logged on the app so why not take the phone call which will probably be quicker? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Probably/possibly because the app. using location services on your phone will give a more accurate indication of your actual location.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Apps are the way things are moving but not always for the better. In the case of recovery. As you could so easily be stranded in an area with no internet. A telephone option is absolutely necessary.

But, perhaps once downloaded, the app may not need an internet connection? I don’t know.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is lazy on Maydays behalf,it drives me mad when you need to speak to a human being urgently and are forced to use menus, Lloyds Bank is notoriously obstructive if you need to phone about suspected credit card fraud, at times when you need to speak to somebody it should be mandatory for these institutions tp povide a direct access number straight htrough to a human being with the authority to deal with it. Going back to Mayday, why should you need to download an app to your phone when you could be in serious danger beside a busy motorway, in the time it takes to download it you could be killed or seriously injured, especially on a 'smart' motorway, Additionaly not everbody uses a smartphone so the app might not be downloadable.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apps are the way things are moving but not always for the better. In the case of recovery. As you could so easily be stranded in an area with no internet. A telephone option is absolutely necessary.

But, perhaps once downloaded, the app may not need an internet connection? I don’t know.

John

If you have mobile connection the app should work but if it doesn't then your mobile should be able to make a call to their breakdown number. if it can't then welcome to the days before mobiles were invented :ROFLMAO:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have the App but hope I never have to use it. The app should be downloaded before you need it rather than when you need it.

Of course it will depend on having an internet connection and accurate location data but its just a one button tap after you open the app which shows 'Rescue Me' . Presumably from that it will send your location and telephone number. That would be a quicker option in my opinion than standing by the roadside trying to make a telephone call - what with the noise of traffic etc.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is lazy on Maydays behalf,it drives me mad when you need to speak to a human being urgently and are forced to use menus, Lloyds Bank is notoriously obstructive if you need to phone about suspected credit card fraud, at times when you need to speak to somebody it should be mandatory for these institutions tp povide a direct access number straight htrough to a human being with the authority to deal with it. Going back to Mayday, why should you need to download an app to your phone when you could be in serious danger beside a busy motorway, in the time it takes to download it you could be killed or seriously injured, especially on a 'smart' motorway, Additionaly not everbody uses a smartphone so the app might not be downloadable.
Why not have the app already on the phone if it is a smartphone?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The recovery man will be working on other job, much easier for him to pick up tablet for next job.
and if they only picked up the message an hour later where does that leave you? They are supposed to attend within an hour. I have no intention of downloading the app as prefer to speak to a human as your car could be causing an obstruction or there may be danger to life.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
and if they only picked up the message an hour later where does that leave you? They are supposed to attend within an hour. I have no intention of downloading the app as prefer to speak to a human as your car could be causing an obstruction or there may be danger to life.
If causing a obstruction phone the police then. Simples.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not have the app already on the phone if it is a smartphone?
The app is for Green Flag and not Mayday although they are the same company. They have different phone numbers and you seem to get better treatment phoning the Mayday number.

There is no Mayday app so it will probably assume you are a Greenflag customer. Not sure if there is an option in the Greenflga app to show you are a Mayday member and that you may have a caravan with you for dual recovery etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If causing a obstruction phone the police then. Simples.
Obviously you have never broken down causing an obstruction and have never tried to phone the police to advise of an obstruction. The chances of getting through to the police are ZERO and if you use 999 you get a bollocking! Got that T shirt!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The recovery man will be working on other job, much easier for him to pick up tablet for next job.
I cannot imagine a "Rescue Me" link goes directly to the recovery man. It's more likely to go to a central control who will allocate jobs to the recovery agents. Hopefully anything like a M way breakdown will get higher priority than failure to star when leaving caravan site.

Reactions: Buckman
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Obviously you have never broken down causing an obstruction and have never tried to phone the police to advise of an obstruction. The chances of getting through to the police are ZERO and if you use 999 you get a bollocking! Got that T shirt!
Think you are talking a load of bolderdash, the 🚔 will respond.

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Please remember that this is a large country, miles of roads, millions of car drivers, different break down organisations and police authorities.

Experiences will vary.

Please keep posts friendly.

Reactions: borderbilly
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Still talking bolderdash up here in Scotland the police will respond, been there, done it, got the t-shirt.
Thanks goodness we do not live in Scotland and I was referring to an incident in England and if you search posts on here you will find a reference to the incident.

Anyway just in case you never bothered to read the original post it was about why the app instead of being able to speak to a human being and not about breakdowns, obstruction and police.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Thanks goodness we do not live in Scotland and I was referring to an incident in England and if you search posts on here you will find a reference to the incident.

Anyway just in case you never bothered to read the original post it was about why the app instead of being able to speak to a human being and not about breakdowns, obstruction and police.
not arguing with you, as you seem to always right!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My understanding of Mayday/Green Flag is that they subcontract rescue and recovery to local appointed agents, as well as their own crews,so in my world, the call would go to central number and be answered by human being who would then allocate the job to nearest available agent, but then my world is limited.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
not arguing with you, as you seem to always right!
Unfortunately I am not always right and I learn every day from others. However I base a lot of stuff on personal past experience as I seem to suffer more misfortune than the average Joe. :cry:

I hope that just one of my posts helps someone else who has a similar problem and that makes me happy!(y)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

The OP never said they were asked to download the app there and then. Just that it was suggested that you use the app as an option.

In my experience, when calling, you are normally asked some questions regarding the urgency, if a lone female, if there is a need for a tow etc. I wonder how the app deals with this. Also, my breakdown organisations have tended to call back to keep me up to date.

Apart from possibly providing an accurate location, I don’t see any advantage in using an app. And it does not come across as good customer service. However, some people may prefer to use an app so it could be providing the customer more choice.

Sounds daft I know, but I have both AA (comes with the car) and RAC cover (comes with Barclays holiday insurance).

Both there apps have a place to click for a breakdown. I have never needed to use them so I cannot report if they are good or bad. But this is feedback for the AA from 6 years ago. (I do take feedback with a pinch of salt).

John

PS, adding a picture is not working for me today.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One problem I find even with my modern IPhone is that on a bright sunny day it can be extremely difficult to read the screen. So interacting with an app can be difficult. Whereas I can easily click contacts and locate the recovery company number. Even SIRI will do it for me if I ask nicely.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The OP never said they were asked to download the app there and then. Just that it was suggested that you use the app as an option.
When you phone you are told to download the app for a quicker service? As I was already on the phone I didn't bother and probably got through just as quick.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I hate AI dealings. I seem to go round in large circles and get back to the start five minutes later achieving nothing. For me an APP only works properly if I have a 4 or preferably 5G signal. They are not always available so I prefer, demand , a human please

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts