Memory Foam Mattress Topper

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi there - just had five days at CCC site (Blackmore) and experienced the coldest night of our lives - however OH worked out how to set heater setting correctly and the following 4 nights were lovely! Looked into buying a memory foam mattress topper from the various Caravan bedding suppliers but was horrified at the prices. Anyway, walked into a Poundland Plus store whilst away and there was a double memory foam topper reduced to £29.99 - took it back to van, stretched the fitted sheet over it so that the excess bit on our nearside bed was effectively strapped down and had lovely warm night's sleep for a fraction of the cost of a made to measure topper. I think I've seen these in Dunelm Mills too for about the same price. Well worth the money as although our mattress very deep, was slightly on the hard side and this made all the difference! Thought I would share - sorry if this has already been posted.
smiley-smile.gif
Lisa. BTW had forgotten how loud torrential rain and hail was bouncing off the roof and windows of a caravan!

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
We brought ours from a newspaper supplement for around the same money and was worth every penny mind you i do need my beauty sleep

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I got one from B and M bargains for £35 and I thought that was cheap!! is now on my son's bed at home as we got Duvalays for Christmas, well done for getting one for under £30, it really makes a difference to comfort and warmth. Ours went on an L shaped lounge 'jigsaw' bed rather than a fixed bed and helped smooth out the joins.

Poundshops are always worth a look for the thrifty caravanner, and you can never have too many pegs.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Joann - what are the Duvalays like? Do they make you too warm? I have seen them on single van beds and presume they make them for doubles?

Yes - we learnt our lesson really quickly never to put the word caravan in front of anything when searching as it always increases the price by loads!

May 8, 2010
Visit site
To make a double you turn one duvalay inside out and put them side by side, they were very expensive and I probably would not have bothered to get them if I was paying for them myself, but my Mum is generous and minted so that is what I asked for.

As for being too warm it was just like being under a normal duvet. I get really warm and like to stick my feet out which you can't do in a double sleeping bag without annoying the other person. The Memory foam is really nice and thick and I don't wake up with a stiff shoulder anymore.
They do take up quite a bit of room but are quicker to get out and put away then our old sleeping bag /memory foam combo.

As for the putting caravan infront of things, I saw a 'caravan' cheese grater (the mind boggles) for £4.95 in an accessories shop, the same one was in Wilkinsons for 75p. it is as bad as putting 'wedding' in front of something.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
OMG you sound just like me! I could be reading about me ... I like to stick my leg out if I get too hot and also I was waking up with a stiff shoulder and feeling like I'd been kicked all down the one side (I have osteoarthritis even though I'm still quite 'young') and the memory foam topper has alleviated those symptoms but I must admit I may well save up for the Duvalays. Sadly, my parents aren't that minted, nor do I have any minted relatives lurking in the background lol so it would have to be back to selling stuff on Ebay to raise the funds! My worst thing was buying a 'caravan' cutlery tray for £7.99 from Ebay and then seeing it in local camping accessory store for £1.99 and even cheaper at Go Outdoors. Gutted!

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Duvalays might slide off a fixed bed, if you are OK with your topper I would stick with that.
I do wish they made a shorter one though to go on my son's side dinette bed, as he keeps climbing in with us 'beacuse it is more snuggly' than his sleeping bag. He is only 4 but takes up loads of room and is all elbows.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Aw bless ... my little boy is touching 6 foot and hangs over the side dinette and has to sleep across the double front bed hence why he's being ensconsed in the new full awning come June half term, on a campbed, in an inner tent so that he (and we) have our own space!

.... but I do miss the cuddles in bed when they're little
smiley-smile.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi lisa, Have also consigned my 6ft 2" 14 year old yoof to a sleeping annexe in the awning. I try not to allow him in the van at all, truth be told. Happy days.
mel

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
How does it suddenly occur that our "little"boys get too big for the house,caravan and their size 12 boots??They seem to take up as so much room and make everywhere look so untidy.Even when they are not visible their presence is still felt in the paraphonalia they leave behind them.It is only when they are taken into the control of some young lady that shrink they back to a more manageable size.That must be why caravans are getting bigger these days cos they grow into them??????
TC

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey TC - funny you should mention the words young lady ... had a conversation with my Luke Weds which went along the lines of "Lydia this, Lydia that, Lydia the other etc. etc. Can't have her as a g/f though cos mates haven't got one and who would i spend my time with, want to concentrate on exams etc.". Roll forward to Friday - "Hey Mum, guess what - I'm going out with Lydia. She's well fit (um hello, in what way is "she fit" young man?) and I'm really chuffed!". I questioned the difference between Weds nights conversation and Friday's and all I kept getting was the fact that she's really fit and a nice girl. Guess I won't be the number one female in his life for much longer then eh?
smiley-undecided.gif
My baby's growing up and I'm not sure if I like it!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to God he doesn't expect her to stay in the caravan with us. I'm not sure I could cope with two teenagers in a confined space and I'm certainly not sharing my mirror space with no-one - even if she did want to straighten her hair
smiley-wink.gif
ha ha.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
never mind the paraphonalia, what about the smell? This is why I keep mine in the awning.
mel

Mel - yes I think I remember you before saying about your lad whose younger than mine and two inches taller! What I don't understand with mine is why he feels it necessary to use a WHOLE can of deoderant on himself in one go? (He's very clean, spends hours in the shower) - but why a whole can? My house plants are dying and the cat won't venture upstairs as the sound of the can reminds her of a certain brand of flea spray we used to use!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts