Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I post this in hope there are a few computer buffs about

6 months ago I bought a gateway notebook fitted with a nvidia 6100 video card my question is how do I stop the videocard robbing my system memory it seems to take 50% of whatever I have in I have upgraded twice and now run it on 2048 mb but the video takes i024 of it I assume there is a tab somewhere that will reduce this but I cannot find it looked everywhere even in the bios please help

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colin,

Im not an expert but a quick search on google came up with the following link

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=925&formid=3390&website=AcerPanAm.com/LatinAmerica&siteid=7300&areaid=19
Although the file is about Acer laptops with the Nvidia 6100 this document if tells you about the memory allocation system at boot up for the nvidia 6100 and about the dynamic alocation of memory within windows.

It looks like the bottom line is you can make changes to the initial memory allocation by changing your BIOS settings but cant do anything about the dynamic alocation unless you fit another video card (not realy an option with a notebook!).

I hope this helps

Cheers

John

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Are you sure you are reading the right thing? I ask because a 6100 can only allocate 256mb of system memory for the dynamic cache.

Now, youi system will allocate 1024mb of hard drive space and as swap file as it is half the memory. If this is what you are looking at then its OK and nothing is stealing your memory.

Click start - run and enter msinfo32 in the box

a screen will appear with the current memory allocation as one of the items on the right. post back what it says.

Steve

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
thanks steve for you answer

I think iv'e got it sorted I tried what you said but could not find any information about video momory consuption

perhaps I did not look in the right place, but as the machine kept locking up and running slow I've had it to the shop

after having it for over a week on test he reckons there was a faulty memory module fitted some thing about seeing it, but not using it, he said that this type of machine allocates its memory according to how much is fitted so it allocated 2048mb but effectively only had 1024mb to use this was causing the problem he fitted two new same type modules and it seems to be a lot better.

sorry I did not reply before now but I was waiting to get the m/c back

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts